Question PC keeps freezing when playing games

Jun 16, 2019
My computer keeps permanently freezing when playing games, at seemingly random times, and I have to manually power off the PC. It's been happening since a few weeks, and I still haven't figured it out why.
Things I tried already:
  • Updating drivers (cpu, bios, gpu, sound, lan)
  • Checking temperatures (all fine)
  • Checking event viewer (found nothing before the time of freeze)
Do you have any idea on how to fix it? Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Does it only happen when under load?
Does the issue occur in safe mode?
Does it occur in some games and never others?

What is your full system spec including PSU make and model?
What are the temperatures you are receiving (remember individual CPU core temperatures is a more accurate measure than overall CPU temp depending on the software).

Jun 16, 2019
Hello,
Yes, it only happened under load so far.
I haven't tried playing in safe mode, so I don't know :)
No game is exception, maybe very small ones.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
MB: ASRock AB350M Pro4
PSU: Cooler Master Elite Power 600W (RS-600-ACAB-M4)
RAM: 1x8 GB

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
use whocrashed to see if there is any minidump files and occt to stress test psu for about 10 min and check voltages at start of test and on test report any abnormal voltages and you could also use hwinfo sensor page to see temp voltages and fans speed in system on idle and load .

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
use whocrashed to see if there is any minidump files
Personally as someone who debugs a lot, I would avoid using Whocrashed, it very rarely points to correct processes in question. It quite often refers to blaming the kernel, which is what crashed, but it's usually always a third party driver that forced it, and Whocrashed is not great at identifying this. A full debug is much more revealing. Which if you have the dump files, you can just post a link to here and we can helpdebug.

Firstly if you're just having restarts, then you'll want to enable BSOD in the first place:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

Then you'll want to enable minidump logging:
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-enable-minidump-logs-in-windows-10.50/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Can't see the 3.3V rail there. Don't need to put any filters on, just run all sensors and post the motherboard section.

Either way, I'd certainly be aiming to ugprade the PSU regardless. Could well be struggling to supply sustainable and adequate power.

What individual core CPU temps and GPU temps were you reaching?
May also be worth running memtest to verify that your RAM is not faulty.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Still can't see the rails. Either way, the PSU is a poor quality one and could be well causing the problem.
May be worth running afterburner to see CPU and GPU loads and temps up to when the freezing occurs, see if there is anything related.

Also worth running HD Sentinel to ensure drives aren't obviously faulty.

Jun 16, 2019
Alright, thank you for your help. I think the issue might have been related to heat problems, since after I removed the side of my computer it hasn't happened so far. But it's only been one afternoon, so we'll see.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That image doesn't show useful temps.
The AUXTIN is an auxillary temperature index - and is usually a measure of the PSU - you'd be able to feel that temp just by putting your hand on the back of the PSU, and they're usually a bit faulty on HWInfo.

Main temps would be CPU Cores, and GPU.
But by all accounts, check the PSU heat.
Also you'd need to see the 3.3V line again from the MB section of HWInfo.

Jun 16, 2019
CPU and GPU temperatures are okay, I tested it already.
I touched the PSU while in-game and it didn't feel hot at all.
I can't find the 3.3V line, I can only see 5V.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if you look at the last picture temp are high on aux and cpu fans go up to 18,000 rpm i would repaste cpu and the case fan run only at 600 rpm a bit to low do you have any other case fan in also in the picture before that cpu went up to 77 c so see if fan cool it seams to always stay around same speed from start to average at 1700 rpm the other point did you overclock .

Jun 16, 2019
I was monitoring the cores themselves, and their temperatures were never too high. I think the fans might be weird because I was messing with them in BIOS, but I'll fix it for sure.
And no, I didn't OC.

It just froze again, by the way, even with the side of the PC off.

Last edited:

kracsnz

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Prior to the crashes occurring did Windows update to 1809 or 1903? If so you may have had the same issues I have with my Ryzen (1800X on X370). After both upgrades games started randomly crashing at odd times, i.e. Division 2, Metro Exodus etc... Because the PC is literally just for gaming both times I've done full resets in Windows Settings (including the option to format the OS drive). All my games sit on other SSDs so the reset is really fast, just reinstall the various game clients and point them at the old game folders. The reset I did in this order, 1: Reset, 2: Install latest AMD chipset drivers, 3: latest component drivers, 4: latest Nvidia drivers.

Ryzen is back to crash free. Odd that both recent releases have caused the crashes for me and the reset completely removes them. Maybe the upgrades aren't playing well with Ryzen, and after both updates there is always manual shit to fix like system component not registered (1809), edb.log folder missing (1903).

Jun 16, 2019
Actually I traced it back just hours ago, and it all started happening on April 6, and might could have been because of an update, yes. I think I'm going to reinstall Windows and see if that works.
It's likely to be a software related anyways problem since it had no problems before and I didn't mess with hardware.

Last edited: