[SOLVED] PC keeps rebooting. Please help :(.

Jul 10, 2019
  • I really need you guys advice since everything i tried had failed. Thanks for reading it, im not an english native user so i'm sorry for my grammar error and the way a write. It's a long story and i want it to be as detail as possible.
  • Hi everyone, about a few month ago my pc was fine, it only reset when i played Kingdom Come: Deliverance. At that time i didn't notice it because it still ran fine with my daily gaming needs. But in the past 1 month the problem got worse and worse and in the end i couldn't understand the rebooting "rhythm". For example, everytime i open to "Dead by Daylight" load screen, it tend to crash at the "Press Space to Start", everytime i play Dota2, it rarely crashes but if it crashes in the middle of the match, the chance for me to reconnect's nearly 0%, everytime i finished loading and returned to the game, the PC immediately crashed afterward. Yesterday, it crashed even when i was browsing internet.
  • Also another piece of information that my PC starts out with 16GB of Ram (4x4gb sticks). But since it start crashing, 2 of ram's broken and now sent to the service for coverage.
  • I had looked for a few solutions recently and tried out a few solution:

• Dust: Everyone thought about it at first. I don't have any experience in cleaning hardware but i tried my best. I bought canned air, use toothbrush with a little bit of alcol to clean my Ram + Gpu slot, used an earaser to clean the contact, ... i tried everything.
  • Overheating: I downloaded a few apps and tested it. The temp was comepletely under-control even when i was gaming. I don't OC. I also wiped out and refilled both my CPU and GPU's thermal paste and buy an external cooling for my CPU, replacing the stock fan.
  • Windows and latest patch: I reinstalled windows and update every possible software but it didn't help.
  • Call a fixing serivce: I contacted a fixing service and they sent out one guy, he checked my Disk Health, tried to OC, ... but my PC didn't reboot, only when i played game. In conclusion he thought the problem should be either my Motherboard or my PSU (which is nearly impossible). He brought the PC back to clean up the dust and called me back later that day that he had been testing and everything seemed fine. I received the PC back and my problem had gone for about 1 week recent when the problem happened again and just like before, worse and worse.

• My PC Specs:
  • Windows 10 Pro

• MoBo: Gigabyte Sniper G1 B7
  • CPU: I7 - 6700
  • GPU: EVGA 1060
  • Ram: 16gb GSkills 2133Mhz
  • SSD: Samsung NVME 256gb
  • HDD: 1TB WD
  • PSU: CoolerMaster B700

• My thought about fixing this. I'm intending to buy MoBo x470 with the new Ryzen 3.
  • In the end, realy really appreciate for reading this, every single reply helps me a lot.

Last edited:
Solution
CC83 asked me: "I assume you already tried to log temperatures, loads, GPU frequencies and power draw and memory usage? Use a program that saves everything even after a crash as a .txt file ".
  • I called my fixing guy and he said he had already checked those things and neither of any problem came up.
  • Is a memtest similar to a memory usage test that he did, i want to do it again myself to make sure but my fixing guy did it before.
  • That's why after fixing and asking him, he concluded that it's likely my motherboard cause this whole problem.
I agree that if everything that has been said is true, it is likely to be PSU or MB.

Memtest is a memory diagnostic tool, but more advanced than the simpler windows memory...
Jul 10, 2019
What makes you say the PSU is nearly impossible?
The CM B2 series are poor quality.

Also I would remove GPU and run on integrated to see if the issue persists.
Assuming all GPU and CPU temps are normal?
  • As i mentioned i called a fixing service and also before calling them i tried asking a few of my friends and the guy who built this pc for me. All of them don't really think that my PSU had a problem. I also searched on the internet and they said PSU usually only has problem if they're 5 yrs older, mine's just 3 years.
  • I tried to replace my 1060 GPU with a Gigabyte 960 but the problem was still there.

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
  1. Reinstall windows. Do a full clear reinstall to latest version. You wouldnt believe how weird it can make your computer behave.
  2. I assume you already tried to log temperatures, loads, GPU frequencies and power draw and memory usage? Use a program that saves everything even after a crash as a .txt file

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
  1. Reinstall windows. Do a full clear reinstall to latest version. You wouldnt believe how weird it can make your computer behave.
  2. I assume you already tried logging temperatures, loads, GPU frequencies and power draw and memory usage? Use a program that saves everything even after a crash as a .txt file
  • I had already re-installed new windows, update every software possible but the problem was still there.
  • Im asking my fixing guy right now for more informations, again sorry but im such a noob about PC...

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
It could be your GPU. Borrow another card from someone and check if it works. Crashes while loading are usually caused by GPUs. Your RAM wouldnt crash entire PC. Check if your PSU connections to every part sit tight.

Jul 10, 2019
It could be your GPU. Borrow another card from someone and check if it works. Crashes while loading are usually caused by GPUs. Your RAM wouldnt crash entire PC. Check if your PSU connections to every part sit tight.
Yup i did try another GPU. I used a GTX 960 and it didn't solve the problem.

Jul 10, 2019
Oh 1 more thing when i booted the game up and it crashed sometime i would lose my game which mean i have to re-install (this apply to Risk Of Rain 2) and a few game like PUBG sometimes will forget all my settings after crashing, reseted all back to default. Is it a clue to my problem?

Jul 10, 2019
  2. I assume you already tried to log temperatures, loads, GPU frequencies and power draw and memory usage? Use a program that saves everything even after a crash as a .txt file
About number 2. My fixing guy just replied that he tested all the thing you listed and everything was fine.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I mean this respectfully - Sorry this is not correct. RAM can easily crash an entire PC, and even cause random shut downs. It happens all the time.
The event viewer can be useful, but often leads to a wormhole as it shrouds your problem in lots of other irrelevant events. That and the main error you'll likely come across is a standard kernel Error 41.
Equally crashing while loading can be any component, your RAM is the interface between your storage drive and CPU, this can crash during load, the PSU supplies the power to the GPU whilst it comes under load, any fluctuation or instability in voltage can cause the GPU to crash, but because of the PSU.

I would run memtest on your RAM modules.
I would also run HD Sentinel to check your storage drives.
It MAY be worth checking if your CMOS battery is still functional, odd shot that shouldn't cause shut downs, but sometimes helps.

Following that, you've already tried a different GPU, and a clean Windows Installation.

I would go back to my earlier post that the CM B2 series are poor quality, so you'll probably want to ugprade this anyway, and it could well be the PSU causing the reboots.
Unfortunately the B2 series are poor quality, and you can't verify the PSU capabilities from a "feeling". Being as you are encountering random reboots, the PSU is a very strong culprit. So it is best to test with another good quality PSU. Have they already tested this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Satan-IR
Jul 10, 2019
I mean this respectfully - Sorry this is not correct. RAM can easily crash an entire PC, and even cause random shut downs. It happens all the time.
The event viewer can be useful, but often leads to a wormhole as it shrouds your problem in lots of other irrelevant events. That and the main error you'll likely ome across is a standard kernel Error 41.
Equally crashing while loading can be any component, your RAM is the interface between your storage drive and CPU, this can crash during load, the PSU supplies the power to the GPU whilst it comes under load, any fluctuation or instability in voltage can cause the GPU to crash, but because of the PSU.

I would run memtest on your RAM modules.
I would also run HD Sentinel to check your storage drives.
It MAY be worth checking if your CMOS battery is still functional, odd shot that shouldn't cause shut downs, but sometimes helps.

Following that, you've already tried a different GPU, and a clean Windows Installation.

I would go back to my earlier post that the CM B2 series are poor quality, so you'll probably want to ugprade this anyway, and it could well be the PSU causing the reboots.
Unfortunately the B2 series are poor quality, and you can't verify the PSU capabilities from a "feeling". Being as you are encountering random reboots, the PSU is a very strong culprit. So it is best to test with another good quality PSU. Have they already tested this?
Tks a lot. I will do memtest and HD Sentinel myself. I don’t really have a chance to boot with a new PSU but i will try my best.

Reactions: PC Tailor

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
@up
Oh dang, I thought he already did a Memtest - I was referring to the fact that if Memtest came up as "fine", it wouldnt be a problem then. I just re-read his first post and he scanned HDD, not RAM. Sorry for confusion

Reactions: PC Tailor
Jul 10, 2019
No worries my friend - I was initially very confused!

OP, will wait for your feedback.
CC83 asked me: "I assume you already tried to log temperatures, loads, GPU frequencies and power draw and memory usage? Use a program that saves everything even after a crash as a .txt file ".
  • I called my fixing guy and he said he had already checked those things and neither of any problem came up.
  • Is a memtest similar to a memory usage test that he did, i want to do it again myself to make sure but my fixing guy did it before.
  • That's why after fixing and asking him, he concluded that it's likely my motherboard cause this whole problem.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I agree that if everything that has been said is true, it is likely to be PSU or MB.

Memtest is a memory diagnostic tool, but more advanced than the simpler windows memory diagnostic

it's just a checklist:

ItemCheck MethodOutcomeComment
SoftwareClean installIssue persistedCould be BIOS, but likely not windows
OCRemove OCIssue persistedNot OC related
GPUSwapped for a different oneIssue persistedGPU probably isn't a problem
StorageChecked healthNo problemStorage probably isn't a problem, but could still be
RAMMemory Diagnostic / Memtest?Memtest is better so would be worth trying and leaving for at least 4 passes
CPU??Can use Intel Processor Diagnostic to test but less likely to be at fault
MB??
PSU??Big culprit

Solution
Jul 10, 2019
66649442_395354524665513_1699360276597440512_n.jpg

Ị did a memtest. Does the result mean my Ram and CPU's fine?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019
Sorry for dissapearing. I'm back with a few update.
  • After creating this post, i sent my 8gb broken ram retailer and received a new pair. After installing and doing some dusting, i find my PC back to normal for a little while (it still crashed, but rarely).
  • But since last week, my PC keeps restarting like crazy, the situation keeps getting worse. At the first few day, even League Of Legend would crash and now at this moment everytimes i boot it up, open Chrome and Discord (or any sort of app), it would crash. Can we narrow down to PSU at this moment?
  • I knew it might be PSU or MB but in my region it's super hard to test it out, the only way is to buy a new one.