Question PC lags constantly in games, and even when just browsing Chrome or my Desktop

Terence McCormick

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I know this might be a hardware issue, but it started happening out of nowhere. The first time it happened, I fixed it by factory resetting my PC, but I must have done something because now it's back again and this time worse. Before it only happened in games but now it happens in chrome, games, videos and even when I'm just on my desktop.

When I start my PC up, the lag is so severe in the first few minutes that my whole PC just locks up and lags like all hell, then goes back to the normal intervals of lag that I usually get. If I had to explain it, imagine having windows on an old HDD and having to wait for it to load up completely, that kind of lag and sluggish performance is what I get but on an SSD.

My specs are:
FX6350
GTX 960 2GB EVGA
Kingston V300 SSD
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
Corsair Power Supply

May 18, 2019
overheating / overclock too high / disk failure / failing RAM or not enough of it / garbage on the pc / malware

And yes failing drive (both hdd and ssd) will result in stutters and at some point even freezes or overall super bad performance of the pc, at some point even bsods. But I would first check your os, clean it and scan it. Then move to checking your temps if it's not thermal throttling or if you OCed tone it down a bit, then move to testing the ssd and ram.