Question pc lags while playing games

youngrob

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012
Hi, I've been having these troubles for a while now, its not technically unusable but it is so very annoying.

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 4x8 GB
Storage: (C:) Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD; (D:) Seagate 2TB - HDD; (F:) Seagate 1TB - HDD; (H:) Crucial® MX300 275GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: Corsair RM850 850W
MB: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI - Moderkort - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD X570 - USB-C Gen2, USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - Bluetooth, 2.5 Gigabit LAN, Wi-Fi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core

So, what I've been experiencing are weird freezes while playing games. As well as the the screen turning grey while browsing the web and freezing.
What seems to be happening while gaming is that for some reason my system sometimes can not keep up while loading effects and information on screen. Sometimes its while there's a lot of stuff going on on screen, but also while just opening a menu in game. I mainly game Destiny 2 but ive experienced similar weirdness while testing out other games.
Total war warhammer 2 just wont load. Anno 1800 takes for ever to load in textures.
But when I'm not having these issues everything runs just perfectly. I can go from 240fps while in "orbit" on Destiny 2 to a complete freeze from nowhere, back to 240.
Now I moved my D2 from my D: drive to my C: drive, because it just seemed to me to be some sort of loading issue. This did help somewhat, my freezes before could last tens of seconds. Now they only last about 1 second.
I just also noticed that GPU and CPU usage seem to drop to 0 while this happens.

As for the grey screen on web browsing, I believe this is an issue known to AMD and their drivers, not sure its exactly as they describe it though.

I built this system myself 2 years ago and its been running smoothly up until just before christmas. The day it started I had just unplugged my PC to move it and clean around it. When I plugged it back in this all started...

Does anyone have any idea?

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
The gray screen is indeed an ongoing issue for AMD. However, Nvidia users have also had similar issues in the past and provided a temporary fix to their users. You can view the link here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ady-driver-461.09-or-newer,-some-desktop-apps

Apparently, disabling MPO also helped AMD GPU users as per Reddit post here: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7/disabling_multiplane_overlay_mpo_fixed_all/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

The workaround also fixes gray screen and stuttering issues in games so it seems.

If you want to do the fix manually instead of downloading the file on Nvidia's site, you can do that here: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-amd-nvidia-are-all-sleeping-on-windows-11-mpo-display-issues/

youngrob

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012
The gray screen is indeed an ongoing issue for AMD. However, Nvidia users have also had similar issues in the past and provided a temporary fix to their users. You can view the link here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-driver-461.09-or-newer,-some-desktop-apps

Apparently, disabling MPO also helped AMD GPU users as per Reddit post here: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yvyqc7/disabling_multiplane_overlay_mpo_fixed_all/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

The workaround also fixes gray screen and stuttering issues in games so it seems.

If you want to do the fix manually instead of downloading the file on Nvidia's site, you can do that here: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-amd-nvidia-are-all-sleeping-on-windows-11-mpo-display-issues/

Got any other ideas? :(
The grey screen has stopped but I still get massive freezes and stuttering in games...

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Stutter in games are hard to troubleshoot as it could be a plethora of things that could trigger it. You can start diagnosing the immediate side of it by downloading LatencyMon and monitor any latency spikes while you play a game. If you do for example find that the AMD driver is having abmormally high spikes, you could try installing a previous version of your driver from AMD's site. Do try to disable as many running background programs as possible to check if they are the causes of stutter. If that didn't help, then you can uninstall programs that you don't find necessary. Update your motherboards' BIOS if you haven't and also check you RAM's XMP/DOCP profiles. Do an sfc scan command on Command Prompt to fix any Windows-related issues. Check your hard drives health and scan for any faulty sectors.Then of course there is the option to do a fresh install of Windows if you still experience issues.

If all that doesn't solve anything, then unfortunately you might have to replace your hardware piece by piece and check if you are still getting those stutters because it could be any hardware that could be causing it at this point.

Hi, I've been having these troubles for a while now, its not technically unusable but it is so very annoying.

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 4x8 GB
Storage: (C:) Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD; (D:) Seagate 2TB - HDD; (F:) Seagate 1TB - HDD; (H:) Crucial® MX300 275GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: Corsair RM850 850W
MB: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI - Moderkort - ATX - Socket AM4 - AMD X570 - USB-C Gen2, USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - Bluetooth, 2.5 Gigabit LAN, Wi-Fi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core

So, what I've been experiencing are weird freezes while playing games. As well as the the screen turning grey while browsing the web and freezing.
What seems to be happening while gaming is that for some reason my system sometimes can not keep up while loading effects and information on screen. Sometimes its while there's a lot of stuff going on on screen, but also while just opening a menu in game. I mainly game Destiny 2 but ive experienced similar weirdness while testing out other games.
Total war warhammer 2 just wont load. Anno 1800 takes for ever to load in textures.
But when I'm not having these issues everything runs just perfectly. I can go from 240fps while in "orbit" on Destiny 2 to a complete freeze from nowhere, back to 240.
Now I moved my D2 from my D: drive to my C: drive, because it just seemed to me to be some sort of loading issue. This did help somewhat, my freezes before could last tens of seconds. Now they only last about 1 second.
I just also noticed that GPU and CPU usage seem to drop to 0 while this happens.

As for the grey screen on web browsing, I believe this is an issue known to AMD and their drivers, not sure its exactly as they describe it though.

I built this system myself 2 years ago and its been running smoothly up until just before christmas. The day it started I had just unplugged my PC to move it and clean around it. When I plugged it back in this all started...

Does anyone have any idea?
Maybe something came loose when you moved PC? What are your CPU and GPU temps while gaming?

Try re-seating the GPU.