Question PC makes high pitched noise when overclocking RAM

Eddie Mitza

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
I've built a new system a few days ago consisting both of brand new and some older parts from my former PC.
The problem is that when I try to overclock the RAM by either enabling the XMP Profile or manually increasing the frequencies (they're supposed to work at 6400 frequencies), the PC starts emitting some weird high-pitched ticking/squeaking noise that seems to come from somewhere near the CPU/RAM area. At first I thought it was the dreaded GPU coil whine, but then I've noticed that the sound was completely gone after disabling XMP Profile, and the GPU was completely silent.

I did manage to make things better by disabling XMP Profile and setting "DDR5 XMP Booster" in the BIOS to "Hynix XMP 6400 42-42-42-84-1.450". After making this setting the sound is gone when idle, and at first it seemed that it was gone even under load while gaming, but after a while it starts coming and going randomly. This is so confusing.
Photo of the BIOS setting

These are the specs:
NEW - i5 13600k
NEW - Gygabyte RTX 4070 Gaming OC 12GB
NEW - Z790 UD mobo
NEW - 2x16 GB Corsair Vengeance 6400 Mhz (4800 stock), 32 CL, 1.4V
OLD - Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
OLD - Seasonic X-series 750W PSU

Have you encountered this before? Do you think the RAM or MOBO are faulty?
I've been really stressed out by this, not knowing what to do or if this could cause damage to the system, so any thoughts are welcome

Lutfij

Titan
Anything that needs to deliver power to components, will have some form of coil whine in them. You could try and see if a BIOS update is pending for your motherboard. Often times updates in the past help tone down how the VRM on a motherboard would behave, i.e, how aggressive their power delivery were.

Reactions: Eddie Mitza

Eddie Mitza

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Anything that needs to deliver power to components, will have some form of coil whine in them. You could try and see if a BIOS update is pending for your motherboard. Often times updates in the past help tone down how the VRM on a motherboard would behave, i.e, how aggressive their power delivery were.
I've already updated the BIOS to the latest version. No luck, unfortunately.
So you're saying this isn't damaging to the system?