[SOLVED] PC not booting after installing new GPU yesterday

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
So for a bit of context, my old graphics card died after 5 years, and yesterday i installed a new RX 570 - Initially it would not be detected by the monitor and thus I would get no display, but after suggestions on these forums and some troubleshooting it turned out this was a result of the display port problems, and was solved by switching to hdmi. After this, the pc worked completely normally all afternoon.

However. when I booted the PC this morning, it was again not booting properly, with the monitors not detecting any input. Even more worryingly, my mouse and keyboard are lighting up but then instantly switching back off, and now the fans of my GPU have stopped spinning (although the sapphire logo is still lighting up its LED's and all other fans in the case and CPU are spinning as usual). Furthermore, even my old card which could boot fine before (although would crash after about 5 mins) no longer displays anything (its fans do still work however)

Any ideas? Is this a faulty card, a potentially faulty motherboard, or something else all together? Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
GPU wise maybe, but that is thermal wear over time
Concerning your pc, it has built in security to prevent that, so worst case scenario, your pc will cut power to prevent damage to your components, which has probably happened

I think a good course of action would be to test your GPU in another system with a decent powered psu
(500 watt or bigger)

if it works, mobo is most likely
you could also try breadboarding your pc

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
may we have your entire build specs?

i'd figure your psu is too weak

CPU: AMD FX6300
GPU: Sapphire RX 570
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43
PSU: Corsair 500w

PSU should be fine given the card requires 500w. Also, given the fact that it is also my old card that is having this issue, I personally am ruling out the PSU to be a problem

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
i take it you have tried the other pci slot?
I have not, since there is no way for me to fit the card into that slot with the positioning of power inputs in the motherboard
For what’s its worth, what’s more concerning is that it seems the motherboard usbs are properly working either which seems to point to it being a motherboard issue. Also, the psu is making a very loud sound ( i think it’s the fan inside?) - could that be a sign it’s a psu issue?

If the psu is making a loud sound, its usually because the fan has to work overtime to keep the heat down, which could indicate that the psu has to push alot of watts

as psu's age their maximum available amout of "outputable" watts goes down
Because of capacitator degradation

Much like a car loses horsepower over time

How old is the unit?
if you run the pc without a gpu, how is the noise then?
(i realise the fx 6300 has no gpu inside so you won't have image)

also you could try to test the psu without load, this is a method i have tried personally
and see if the sound is better

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1dcJ0QyAE

The reason i think the psu is suspect is because i had a similar issue about a year ago using an amd gpu, those are notoriously powerhungry

Last edited:

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
If the psu is making a loud sound, its usually because the fan has to work overtime to keep the heat down, which could indicate that the psu has to push alot of watts

as psu's age their maximum available amout of "outputable" watts goes down
Because of capacitator degradation

Much like a car loses horsepower over time

How old is the unit?
if you run the pc ithout a gpu, how is the noise then?
(i realise the fx 6300 has no gpu inside so you won't have image)

also you could try to test the psu without load, this is a method i have tried personally
and see if the sound is better

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1dcJ0QyAE

The reason i think the psu is suspect is because i had the same issue about a year ago using an amd gpu, those are notoriously powerhungry

The unit is about 5 years old - actually turns out that it was only making so much noise because i was turning the pc on while it was on its side. The rattling is gone now that I have put it upright.

It does say that the minimum psu requirement is 450w, so do you think its more likely to be a psu problem than a motherboard problem? Doesn't really make sense to me given the fact that even when I change the gpu back to my old r9 270x I am stilling having the same problem.

also probable, you mentioned the usb ports don't work, maybe try to boot without gpu and try to charge a device from one of the usb's e.g. a phone

that would also be a good indication

Mobo is certainly not ruled out, but psu (to my mind) is still equally suspect
the r9 270x also requires a 500W psu

do you have another psu laying around to test? (or from a friend)

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
also probable, you mentioned the usb ports don't work, maybe try to boot without gpu and try to charge a device from one of the usb's e.g. a phone

Just tried charging my phone through the usbs, nothing happened. Unfortunately I do not have a spare PSU which I can test, which makes it hard for me to try and figure out whether it’s psu or motherboard

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013

Something I should have probably mentioned before is that last week, during the hot weather, my pc overheated and cut its power for the first time ever - it was about 5 days after this that my gpu died on me. Could the overheating have caused damage?

Concerning your pc, it has built in security to prevent that, so worst case scenario, your pc will cut power to prevent damage to your components, which has probably happened

I think a good course of action would be to test your GPU in another system with a decent powered psu
(500 watt or bigger)

Solution

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013

(500 watt or bigger)

Alright, I will see if I can take my gpu to a mate and test it in his system. I was just wondering, however, does the fact my motherboard isn’t charging my phone through usb indicate power issues or motherboard issues?

Maxijmj

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
if you have ran it without gpu, it would indicate mobo issues, have you tried multiple usb ports?
:S

if your mate is up to it, you can also try his PSU in your system
Yup, I tried charging in front and back USB ports without gpu installed and no response from my phone in any of the ports. The only thing I have got response from is my keyboard which when I plug it into the computer for the first time the lights do there startup and then turn off. I’m going to take my psu and gpu to a mates pc to test them both before I buy a new motherboard though

TRENDING THREADS