Question PC not booting to WIndows after upgrading mobo, cpu and ram. Only boot option is the wrong drive and only way to boot is through BIOS.

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
I probably made a mistake not disconnecting all but one drives, but I didn't think it would matter with already installed Windows on one. Can't remember doing this last time I upgraded.
I am able to use my PC, play games etc., it's just the boot that's the problem. Difference between taking 10 seconds and minutes.
I have Asus motherboard
120GB SSD which is only option in boot manager in BIOS (has recovery and EFI partition). Had Windows on this drive since upgrading to Windows 11.
2TB HDD which is not relevant
2TB SSD which is the drive with Windows on it and the one I have used since upgrading to Windows 11.

I think I have to get into safe mode to even get to BIOS as it never works on first try, I have to have shut the power button on PSU off to get into BIOS after pressing F1 when the American Megatrends thing comes up with safe mode stuff.
Both 2TB drives work and shows in the American Megatrends.

Can't get into UEFI settings, all I get is black screen
Tried reseting PC/Windows, but it got stuck at 66%.

If you need any more information just let me now.

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
PC not booting to WIndows after upgrading mobo

After a motherboard change, the usual thing you have to do is a full wipe and reinstall of the OS drive.

Not 'reset'....full wipe and reinstall.

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
After a motherboard change, the usual thing you have to do is a full wipe and reinstall of the OS drive.

Not 'reset'....full wipe and reinstall.

Been trying for hours now. Fresh installed and got into Windows after also disconnecting CD drive, but it still won't boot straight to Windows. I have to go through BIOS now as I did before.
When I boot normally it goes straight to black screen, I have to force shut down to get safe mode to even get into BIOS.

USAFRet

Titan
Been trying for hours now. Fresh installed and got into Windows after also disconnecting CD-room, but it still won't boot straight to Windows. I have to go through BIOS now as I did before.
When I boot normally it goes straight to black screen, I have to force shut down to get safe mode to even get into BIOS.
Been trying what for hours?

Unless you're trying to boot from a freshly made Win 10 install USB, you're doing it wrong.

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Been trying what for hours?

Unless you're trying to boot from a freshly made Win 10 install USB, you're doing it wrong.

Got a stick, booted from it, installed, booted again from it and SSD (several tries each after clean wipes) and end up with black screen or new installation instance. Windows is clean installed and I can access it through BIOS by booting up from SSD in BIOS, but it doesn't boot to Windows directly when powering on PC. I got through the installation process, but it's still not working.

Fidgeted with "launch CSM" options, but still launches into a black screen.

Black screen on GPU and iGPU
Tried uninstalling display driver

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Got a stick, booted from it, installed, booted again from it and SSD (several tries each after clean wipes) and end up with black screen or new installation instance. Windows is clean installed and I can access it through BIOS by booting up from SSD in BIOS, but it doesn't boot to Windows directly when powering on PC. I got through the installation process, but it's still not working.

Fidgeted with "launch CSM" options, but still launches into a black screen.

Black screen on GPU and iGPU
Tried uninstalling display driver

Seem to found the problem, XMP. This brings up a new issue though. I chose my RAM and mobo together because I thought they would work on rated speed together. Runs at 4800 stock and 6000 with xmp.

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
4800 is the default setting 6000 should be the memory you bought so yes you need to enable XMP to use it at that speed.

Correction 4000 seems to be stock setting That's the issue, it runs and boots fine without XMP. I want the 6000 mhz, but when XMP is selected it boots to black screen. Running XMP and changing clock to 3600 mhz works, so will do trial and error upwards if there is no fix.

Is there something other than mobo and RAM that is relevant to this. The board Asus Prime Z790-P wifi says it support 6000 and even 7200+, which is why I chose it.

Thanks all for the patience, I'm not great at Software, BIOS etc.

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Correction 4000 seems to be stock setting That's the issue, it runs and boots fine without XMP. I want the 6000 mhz, but when XMP is selected it boots to black screen. Running XMP and changing clock to 3600 mhz works, so will do trial and error upwards if there is no fix.

Is there something other than mobo and RAM that is relevant to this. The board Asus Prime Z790-P wifi says it support 6000 and even 7200+, which is why I chose it.

Thanks all for the patience, I'm not great at Software, BIOS etc.

Tried 4800 now with XMP and now I need to recover the PC with USB stick. I can't seem to catch a break on this one.

Oliver99a

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Changed RAM to recommended slots (didn't know that was a thing) and now it runs XMP at 6000 mhz. Don't have time to test more before work, but hopefully it is stable, I am hopefull!

Thanks!