Question PC not booting with VGA light on ?

Feb 4, 2024
Hi folks!
I have a rather perplexing issue going on with my PC. When i turn the power on, the CPU light turns on, the mouse and keyboard lights turn on too. But the PC does not boot, there is no display, not even the motherboard logo screen. The light on the motherboard with the VGA written besides it stays on and pc stays in that state.

I have tried clearing the cmos, reseating my gpu, ram, cpu, reconnecting the HDD and the SSD, updated the BIOS through the BIOS flash. I also took out my motherboard, placed it on a piece of cardboard, seated only the CPU and GPU and one stick of RAM and connected only the keyboard, but even then the issue remained the same; VGA light on and no booting.

Now the "perplexing" part is this: i had to go somewhere and disconnected all the cables etc from the PC and put it away for almost 3 week. When i came back and turned it on, it worked like charm (i didn't change ANYTHING). But when i turned it off and later tried to run it, i had the same issue again. Then again i left it for 5 weeks, came back, turned it on, it worked, but again after turning it off and trying to run it again it didn't work.

Earlier I had issues with my old 2x 4gb RAMs that the PC would not boot, I would disconnect one of them and the other would get the PC to boot. One night I tried this on my new 2x 8gb RAM sticks and it worked. Like it wouldn't boot with one particular stick but it would boot with the other and i did the reboot multiple times and every time it would work with that one particular stick. The other would give the same no boot, VGA light on issue. But the next morning this "fix" didn't work either, not even with the old 4gb RAM sticks.

I realize the next debugging step is to try a different motherboard, GPU, PSU and/or RAM sticks but unfortunately I have none at the moment.

The pc specs are:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: 2X8gb corsair vengeance 3200 MHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 1050ti
SSD: 256gb Gigabyte

Feb 4, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Does the discrete GPU work on a donor system?

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v1.2-GSE-LITE.pdf
Page 38, Flash BIOS button, try that with the latest BIOS version, then clear the CMOS and then try powering up the system with one stick of ram in slot A2.
Thank u for your reply.
I tried the flash BIOS (even i had tried it earlier) and nothing changed
The psu is corsair cx550m and its that "bronze" one and it is about 5 years old
I don't fully understand your question about the GPU but i haven't tried it anywhere else since i don't have any other system at my disposal

Feb 4, 2024
I noticed something just now. I removed the "cmos battery" and tried to boot the PC. Oddly enough the VGA light was on again instead of BOOT light. Maybe something is wrong with the BIOS?