[SOLVED] PC not posting no beeps

Jan 20, 2021
Hello,

I'm having trouble with the PC I'm building. I'm using older parts. It's the following parts list:
  • i5 6600K (Stock Intel Cooler)
  • Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI Motherboard
  • Corsair SF450 PSU
  • Hyper X 16GB RAM (HX426C16FB2K2/16)
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • M2.SSD Samsung 500GB

The problem I'm having is that the PC is not posting nor beeping at startup. I have already tried the PSU, RAM and Videocard on my other PC and these all work fine. Therefore it can only be the MOBO or CPU. But which of the two is defective?
Both of the parts were bought used but from trusted sources and they both worked before.

Already tried replacing the CMOS Battery and resetting the CPU. Tried reseating the RAM slots but this is all fine. Tried booting it up without the GPU connected and tried everything outside the case. But none of these things worked so far. Can anyone help me because I'm out of ideas.

Regards,
Brian

Solution
Also tried this. But also does the same thing. Keeps bootlooping and no post or beeping.
There is not beep because there isn't any beeping device installed. You could get a motherboard internal speaker, connect it to the motherboard and the system will beep.
You mentioned that you tested the RAM in another system. Which CPU was installed on the system where the RAM was tested?
The i5 6600K CPU on that motherboard might need DDR4 2133MHz or lower RAM. If you have slower RAM, try it and see if it boots.
It could also be the PSU.
Did you connect the power button wires correctly?
Is the PSU switch on?
When you power on, is there any signs of life?
Did you see any lights or fans spinning?
Check the PSU cables (24-pin ATX and 4-pin CPU) and make sure they are seated properly on the motherboard.

Jan 20, 2021
It could also be the PSU.
Did you connect the power button wires correctly?
Is the PSU switch on?
When you power on, is there any signs of life?
Did you see any lights or fans spinning?
Check the PSU cables (24-pin ATX and 4-pin CPU) and make sure they are seated properly on the motherboard.
Hi Jojesa,

Yeah. The PSU is switching on. The fan spins for a short notice and then stops. Probably because it only goes to full blast when it's hotter. When it's on the MOBO is showing an orange light near the PCI slot. The fans of the GPU and CPU spin up. Already checked all the cables and they are clicked in right.

Remove the M.2 SSD, disconnect all cables coming from the PC case into the motherboard and see if you could get into the BIOS.
You could power the PC by touching the two power pins with a flat screwdriver.
Make sure the standoffs are installed and they match the holes on the motherboard.

Jan 20, 2021
Remove the M.2 SSD, disconnect all cables coming from the PC case into the motherboard and see if you could get into the BIOS.
You could power the PC by touching the two power pins with a flat screwdriver.
Make sure the standoffs are installed and they match the holes on the motherboard.
Hi,

I have tried this. But also doesn't work. It just doesn't post up can't see the BIOS menu/hotkeys on startup. Could it be a BIOS fault that it's not posting or is this more pointing towards a faulty CPU or MOBO? I also checked the CPU pins and these are not bend and all straight.

Regards,
Brian

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

I have tried this. But also doesn't work. It just doesn't post up can't see the BIOS menu/hotkeys on startup. Could it be a BIOS fault that it's not posting or is this more pointing towards a faulty CPU or MOBO? I also checked the CPU pins and these are not bend and all straight.

Regards,
Brian
Pull the video card out and try the built in graphics on the motherboard.

Hi,

Regards,
Brian
The i5 6600K CPU does not have pins, are you referring to the CPU socket pins?
CPUs seldom fail, so it could be any of the other components.
Try testing the motherboard outside the case.

Also tried this. But also does the same thing. Keeps bootlooping and no post or beeping.
There is not beep because there isn't any beeping device installed. You could get a motherboard internal speaker, connect it to the motherboard and the system will beep.
You mentioned that you tested the RAM in another system. Which CPU was installed on the system where the RAM was tested?
The i5 6600K CPU on that motherboard might need DDR4 2133MHz or lower RAM. If you have slower RAM, try it and see if it boots.

Solution