[SOLVED] PC not POSTing!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 24, 2020
My PC will turn on, fans spin, all is good, but no display, and this is a brand new pc! I understand that this has been posted many a time, but thought I would just throw a new one up for my specific systems specs.
My system specs are:
Ryzen 3 2200G
B450M-HDV R4.0
Vengeance LPX 8GB kit (2 x 4) Edit:3000mhz
500W EVGA PSU

I understand if youre just going to roll your eyes at this because you've seen it to many times, but genuinely any help that you give really does mean a lot to me because I've really dedicated a lot to this. Thanks for reading.

Solution
So unless I've somehow blown the new Mobo, or it's faulty, it's looking like the cpu or PSU. Is there any way that I can verify it is the one or the other without replacing parts?
One way would be get a PC speaker and connect to the speaker terminals. It should give you a 'beep' notification to tell you how far it gets in POST. The beeps are encoded, just look them up and it would give some clues.

Otherwise, you'll need at least a DMM: put it on a +12V lead and watch what voltage does as the system boot loops. If the voltage varies to an extreme, especially dropping below ~11.4V or above 12.6V, you'll know it's not regulating very well and that's a clue it's bad. A really good DMM can also measure ripple. That's not...
Hi Chump,

After clearing CMOS the motherboard will go to default(factory) settings.
By default XMP/DOCP is disabled(this is true for every motherboard) and memory will run at JEDEC standard speeds... either 2133 or 2400 MHz.
Most motherboards that are DDR4 compatible will support these speeds(2133/2400)... so even if you have a 3200 MHz memory module, as long as the stick is perfectly functional it should work with default settings on a motherboard that doesn't support those memory frequencies.

So, basically, memory training would not happen and some default values will be used instead? And what are those values? There is a little more than just 2133 or 2400 to it. So the whole bunch of testing and approval on the vendor part is done for nothing and no QVL is even required?

I do understand that not every memory module sample is being tested, but the QVL is there for a clear reason. Going out of spec is not forbidden it is just the results that are not guaranteed.

Hi Chump,

So, basically, memory training would not happen and some default values will be used instead? And what are those values? There is a little more than just 2133 or 2400 to it. So the whole bunch of testing and approval on the vendor part is done for nothing and no QVL is even required?

I do understand that not every memory module sample is being tested, but the QVL is there for a clear reason. Going out of spec is not forbidden it is just the results that are not guaranteed.

QVL is not useless. It actually gives you reassurance that the kit was tested before and it is proven to work at the specified manufacturer speeds with the motherboard.

You said in an earlier comment:
I had to return a set of GeIL 32Gb (2x16) just 2 weeks ago, Asus Support told me it is not on their QVL and the mobo did not POST

They told you that the kit is not on the QVL and that's the problem right?

Another possibility might be that the modules were deffective from the get go... you won't possibly know. Maybe if you had just contacted GEIL to replace the kit, everything might've worked fine.

Now... from personal experience, memory that's not on the QVL worked like a charm for me... when I had problems it was because the modules were simply deffective or the owner mixed and matched modules.
Heck, my 3200 MHz Patriot kit is even OCed to 3466 MHz... it's not on the QVL either.

I'm sure there are cases where the memory that's not on the QVL and meets the board specs might not be compatible, but they're quite rare usually.

As you previously said... they can't test every memory kit, but even though they're not tested... they're built to meet the same standards with the ones that appear on the QVL.

Mar 24, 2020
I understand that :) It's hard to argue with the logic especially since you have that option available.

Well yeah there is that, but I also believe that i might even go for Vengeance LPX, but rather a single stick of 8GB. This way it will be easier to upgrade. I do kind of feel bad to Corsair but I mean I'm only one customer in how many....?

Well yeah there is that, but I also believe that i might even go for Vengeance LPX, but rather a single stick of 8GB. This way it will be easier to upgrade. I do kind of feel bad to Corsair but I mean I'm only one customer in how many....?
Just be aware with a single stick you lose out on dual-channel memory. That's a pretty nice memory speed enhancement. Considering an APU also uses that memory for it's iGPU it's going to be a pretty serious impediment to graphics performance until you get that second stick in.

Mar 24, 2020
Just be aware with a single stick you lose out on dual-channel memory. That's a pretty nice memory speed enhancement. Considering an APU also uses that memory for it's iGPU it's going to be a pretty serious impediment to graphics performance until you get that second stick in.
As stated above, Dual Channel is much better. Do not do that.

Thanks guys for the answers, my birthday is in May, and as I anyways play on getting to 16Gb one way or another, this seems the easiest. The first 8GB stick will just get up and running, and then I'll wait until early May and get my second stick. I didn't realise though how much a difference it was until I searched it up there, so thanks for telling me!

Other thing, is I hope to buy the Mobo and ram today, from what im seeing, the LPX vengeance seems to be on a good few of the QVLs of the mobos I'm looking at. Somebody earlier mentioned the B450 Pro 4-F, which seems quite good. I'm also seeing the ASUS prime B450M-A and the gigabyte B450M DS3H as used components which are "fulfilled through Amazon" I'll probs go with one of these three, so any suggestions?

Mar 24, 2020
If this fits your budget, would be a great choice

ASRock B450M Pro4-F - £64.97
I would pay a few bucks more to have the proper warranty to it.

Sorted so, I will buy the B450M Pro4-F and Vengeance LPX 8GB single rank and then another in May. Amazon have issued a refund but have said it will take at most a week for the actual money to be returned to my card. Will keep you updated.

Edit: Hence, will not be able to buy said items until refund has fully gone through.

Second edit: items on the way!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone, items came today. I put everything into place, tried turning it on, it turned on, but only temporarily with no post and after 10 seconds just shut down. I read that they shut down if PSU does not have enough load so I currently have the cpu fan, the cpu, the ram, a hard drive, the case fan, the button, reset etc. Audio cable but it still does the same thing. It turns on for 10-15 secs and then just turns off, turns on again, so on, so on. Any reason for this? Am getting quite frustrated at all of this

Hello everyone, items came today. I put everything into place, tried turning it on, it turned on, but only temporarily with no post and after 10 seconds just shut down. I read that they shut down if PSU does not have enough load so I currently have the cpu fan, the cpu, the ram, a hard drive, the case fan, the button, reset etc. Audio cable but it still does the same thing. It turns on for 10-15 secs and then just turns off, turns on again, so on, so on. Any reason for this? Am getting quite frustrated at all of this
I know it's a new motherboard, but did you clear CMOS? That's often necessary... power off, pull battery, short pins for at least 10 seconds, put back together.

Also, on first boot it will often power cycle a few times as it trains memory. So be patient and let it sit a couple minutes when it does that. And of course do as @vov4ik_il suggests and try the RAM in different DIMM slots.

Mar 24, 2020
I bet you are.

You are using a single stick of RAM now, right? Did you try it in the other slot?

There's four slots, A1, A2, B1, B2.

The manual tells me if it's single rank I should put it in A2. So I've tried A1 aswell, same result, but I don't really want to try b1 or B2 in case it damages something. Any other ideas?

Gonna make a call here, your EVGA psu is the issue. They make some good one's but also some rubbish like the budget white ones. Fans spinning, not posting, no beeps, shutting off...... no power, no stability.... just saying I think everyone got a little side-tracked here.

Cheers

Mar 24, 2020
Gonna make a call here, your EVGA psu is the issue. They make some good one's but also some rubbish like the budget white ones. Fans spinning, not posting, no beeps, shutting off...... no power, no stability.... just saying I think everyone got a little side-tracked here.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. If it means anything, I did the paperclip test on the PSU and it worked. But not sure if that proves anything really. I can still return this no hassle other than time really. Is there any way I could determine if my CPU is causing problems?

Mar 24, 2020
If you can connect a buzzer to the board, we might get a post code from it.

I have a buzzer but haven't heard anything from it yet, so I don't even know if it works!

I'll be dead honest, I have a feeling that the problem is the CPU. I know the chances are quite low, but hear me out.

From what I hear, this problem is because of the Mobo, cpu, or PSU. I've already gotten a replacement Mobo, so I've gotta be very unlucky for that to be the fault. I've tested the PSU with the paperclip method, but also with the multimeter and the voltages seem normal to me. That leaves only one option: the CPU

I have a buzzer but haven't heard anything from it yet, so I don't even know if it works!

I'll be dead honest, I have a feeling that the problem is the CPU. I know the chances are quite low, but hear me out.

From what I hear, this problem is because of the Mobo, cpu, or PSU. I've already gotten a replacement Mobo, so I've gotta be very unlucky for that to be the fault. I've tested the PSU with the paperclip method, but also with the multimeter and the voltages seem normal to me. That leaves only one option: the CPU
Paperclip test may not be enough as the PSU could be failing only when put under load. It also 'powered' the other motherboard - fans spinning and lights on - that wouldn't boot up. That's what made me think it was OK. As I said before, troubleshooting is really hard if you don't have known-good hardware to swap in and out.

So all that's left now is the PSU and CPU. At this point I'd lean on the PSU for the problem, but if you have the same option available that you did with the mobo and memory and even though a DOA CPU is extremely rare I'd try to use it with both of those. Just get a refund or replacement from the sellers on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schlachtwolf
Christian,

Faulty CPU chances are slim unless obvious (like during de-lidding etc). While there might be something else... the AM4 sockets with older BIOS might be not supporting your CPU and will not POST in that case.
In order to get it running the first option is to get a supported CPU first and get the BIOS updated.
You might not like the 2nd option - getting the BIOS chip from the board and flashing with external writer and soldering back on.
Edit: googled your motherboard and found that memory support is not there either, it says that Raven Ridge should work with 2933 on a single stick and 2667 on dual. Only referred to ECC RAM I guess.
But the architecture still says 2933. Sometimes it helps to RTFM. I feel stupid now 🙃

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
Paperclip test may not be enough as the PSU could be failing only when put under load. It also 'powered' the other motherboard - fans spinning and lights on - that wouldn't boot up. That's what made me think it was OK. As I said before, troubleshooting is really hard if you don't have known-good hardware to swap in and out.

So all that's left now is the PSU and CPU. At this point I'd lean on the PSU for the problem, but if you have the same option available that you did with the mobo and memory and even though a DOA CPU is extremely rare I'd try to use it with both of those. Just get a refund or replacement from the sellers on Amazon.

That's quite interesting, so you're saying that even if the voltage levels are normal, it might not be able to fully go through the process?

Out of curiosity, would you be able to think of a reason for the PC going in a reboot loop this time round when it didn't last time?

Mar 24, 2020
Christian,

Faulty CPU chances are slim unless obvious (like during de-lidding etc). While there might be something else... the AM4 sockets with older BIOS might be not supporting your CPU and will not POST in that case.
In order to get it running the first option is to get a supported CPU first and get the BIOS updated.
You might not like the 2nd option - getting the BIOS chip from the board and flashing with external writer and soldering back on.
Edit: googled your motherboard and found that memory support is not there either, it says that Raven Ridge should work with 2933 on a single stick and 2667 on dual. Only referred to ECC RAM I guess.
But the architecture still says 2933. Sometimes it helps to RTFM. I feel stupid now 🙃

I've checked, and even so much that when you unbox the 2200g, it says that it is good to go with any Mobo which says it is "ryzen 2000 ready" which it does, so defo not a bios upgrade needed. 2nd option sounds a bit too risky for me! No worries haha! I've said many a not to well thought out things in this thread alone