[SOLVED] PC not turning on after motherboard and CPU change

magalenyo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
Hello,

I have just upgraded my PC and replaced my motherboard, CPU and RAM and when I turn my PC on, it attemps to turn it on, all rgb turns on and immediately turn off with the exception of the RAMs that have their lights on (they don't turn off). My motherboard has a 16 pin CPU connection, and my PSU has only 8 pins, but I have read that it can still turn on without having the other 8pin connection.

There is no beeping and no error code is shown on the debug display, please help!

Here's a video of the problem:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPhtZrCmWU

This is my current build:

CPU: i7-12700K
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z-690 Carbon WIFI
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 6000Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB GDDR5
Case: NOX Hummer MC
PSU: Corsair VS 650W 80 Plus
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 103
SSD1 (M.2): Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB
SSD2: Kingston SSD A400 480GB
SSD3: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB SATA3

Thanks

Solution
The problem was a fan that I connected to a system pin, and for some reason it made the PC shut down. Disconnected the fan and it worked fine. That's weird but at least it got it working

Lutfij

Titan
You have the wrong cooler for your build.

You also shouldn't be using that PCIe off of the end of that daisychain. If your PSU doesn't have the necessary connections for your components in your build, then you also have the wrong PSU for your entire build.

magalenyo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
You have the wrong cooler for your build.

You also shouldn't be using that PCIe off of the end of that daisychain. If your PSU doesn't have the necessary connections for your components in your build, then you also have the wrong PSU for your entire build.

Hi @Lutfij thanks for your reply! So the problem is the power supply? I understand that even if it has an improper cooler, it should be able to turn on, and maybe turn off after a while on. The reason I'm using that cooler and that PSU is because I'm reusing it from my older build, but I will be replacing them if needed.
Also may I ask why I shouldn't be using that PCIe?

Thank you :)

magalenyo

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
The problem was a fan that I connected to a system pin, and for some reason it made the PC shut down. Disconnected the fan and it worked fine. That's weird but at least it got it working

Solution