Question PC not turning ON

Fox_Rox

Reputable
Mar 29, 2019
Hello,

I have a PC that was running fine but abruptly went off (powered off). I tried turning it on but nothing happened. After unplugging and replugging it, nothing happened except the motherboard RGB LED. After that, I did the following testing:

I tested the GPU on another system and it worked.
Jumped the PSU pins #4 and #5 and the fan was spinning.
The motherboard RGB LED was flashing like normal every time I turned the power ON.

It seems like the GPU and PSU are fine but not sure about the other components. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Let's get a complete list of specs, including the exact PSU and then specs of the system you tested the GPU on, and a history of this PC.

Jumping the pins does not confirm a properly functioning PSU. It only can confirm if a PSU that seems completely dead is completely dead.

Fox_Rox

Reputable
Mar 29, 2019
Hello!

Sure, the system that is having the issue has the following specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus TUF X570 Pro wifi MoBo
Corsair DDR4 32 GB RAM
Samsung 1TB 970 nvme SSD
Corsair RM750 PSU
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT 8GB
NZXT Case

I have had the PC mentioned above for around 2 years now. Did nothing major on it. It was in storage for around a year because I was abroad but was working fine when I came back around 2 months ago.

PC I tested the GPU on:

Intel i7 12700k CPU
Corsair H150i Cooler
Asus Z690P MoBo
Corsair 64GB DDR5 RAM
Samsung 1 TB nvme SSD 980Pro
EVGA 850 G+ PSU
MSI TriZ 3080 12GB GPU
Corsair 4000D Case

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Thank You!

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
just keep the replacement psu outside of the case and connect both the 24 pin and 8 pin cpu power connector, those are the only 2 connectors you need to turn on the pc. dont swap the psu out yet.

Fox_Rox

Reputable
Mar 29, 2019
Hello!

I tried the PSU from the working PC but still the same result. I used the wires from the working PC as well. Still just the motherboard RGB LED glowing.

Fox_Rox

Reputable
Mar 29, 2019
ok first try a single stick of ram.
if not working then you can likely suspect either the motherboard or cpu. now i dont know how common a defect amd cpu is but if it was intel id definetly suspect the motherboard.
if not working then you can likely suspect either the motherboard or cpu. now i dont know how common a defect amd cpu is but if it was intel id definetly suspect the motherboard.

Hello!

I tried multiple combinations with the RAM but still the same result. If the motherboard/CPU is faulty than what would be the best way to solve this issue?

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Motherboards from asus generally come with 3 year warranty so perhaps you can send the PC back to where you bought it and have them replace it, or test a diffrent CPU in it first to confirm it's the board.