Question PC only goes into POST with one RAM stick in

daynehack

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
For some reason after my PC blue screened last night it will only boot with one RAM stick in any slot except for slot 2. Otherwise I have had both RAM sticks in and working for a few years now. I recently got a new power supply and CPU cooler but that was a week ago and the RAM only stopped working today. I have 2x8GB corsair vengeance DDR4. I have tried things such as resetting CMOS and hard resetting BIOS to no avail.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G
CPU: i5-8600k
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

Is there anything I should try before I buy a single 16GB RAM stick?

daynehack

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Just making sure I'm following along - You've fault checked both sticks of RAM and both appear to be working as long as they're not placed in slot 2?
Yeah, I checked every permutation of both sticks in, none of them worked. Then I tried single stick in each slot and they all work except for 2.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Have you tried cleaning around/inside the RAM slots? Quite odd to have a single dead RAM slot. According to the manual, DIMM_A2, the slot closest to the ATX 24 pin connector is the primary one. I take it DIMM_B2, the counterpart to A2, is the non-functioning one. The downside of purchasing a single 16GB stick of RAM is that it'll be running in single channel.

Not sure if it would be wise dumping more money into an already malfunctioning motherboard. Only time would tell. Would to still happen to have the receipt? Apparently that Mobo has a 3 year warranty if you purchased it later in its lifetime.

daynehack

Reputable
Dec 30, 2017
Have you tried cleaning around/inside the RAM slots? Quite odd to have a single dead RAM slot. According to the manual, DIMM_A2, the slot closest to the ATX 24 pin connector is the primary one. I take it DIMM_B2, the counterpart to A2, is the non-functioning one. The downside of purchasing a single 16GB stick of RAM is that it'll be running in single channel.

Not sure if it would be wise dumping more money into an already malfunctioning motherboard. Only time would tell. Would to still happen to have the receipt? Apparently that Mobo has a 3 year warranty if you purchased it later in its lifetime.
I bought the MOBO back in 2018 so the warranty is no good unfortunately. I don't feel like upgrading MOBO and CPU either so I might just get a single 32GB stick 3200MHz which will hopefully last me a while.
I have tried cleaning all of the slots and they still don't work dual channel.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I bought the MOBO back in 2018 so the warranty is no good unfortunately. I don't feel like upgrading MOBO and CPU either so I might just get a single 32GB stick 3200MHz which will hopefully last me a while.
I have tried cleaning all of the slots and they still don't work dual channel.
Sounds like that's your most reasonable course of action. Once you get the new RAM installed and working, I'd sell off the old set before it loses much value.