Question PC Partpicker forum isn't helping..

Apr 10, 2019
I'm new at building. Newer than new really and I am having a very weird problem. I built a new system with all new parts. It's a Ryzen 7 2700x build. I'm using a ASRock steel legends B450 mobo, Gskills Trident Z 3200 DDR4 2 x 16gb ram, stock cooler on CPU, Zotac 2070rtx gpu, 240gb delta t force ssd, 512gb silicon power ssd, 2tb hdd seagate firecuda, and a 850w gold plus rated corsair psu. I put it all together and I was having issues with the OS not installing correctly so I took it to a computer guy and the ssd was faulty so I sent it back and got a new one. OS (Windows 10 64x bit) installed clean from a media creation tool usb on the new one. But now the weird stuff starts happening. I can be running the computer at idle or light internet surfing (not even youtube) or writing a paper in google docs... it really doesn't matter what I'm doing because it's not putting pressure on the system in any way and then randomly one of two things happens. Either the whole system will freeze, like nothing is responsive (not task manager, not the mouse, not the keyboard, literally nothing.) and I will have to hold the power button in for 15 or so seconds or flip the switch at the back to get it to turn off and then turn it back on. Or option #2 the monitor, keyboard, and mouse will all go dark but the pc tower and everything inside is all still running like nothing happened. I have no clue what is going on. I have no clue how to troubleshoot it. The gpu is testing fine, the cpu temps are low, the fans are running, the post beep is good, I have wiped and reinstalled windows 10 now 3 times. What is going on here? I am going to switch out the psu tonight because I found a post from 2015 that said it helped fix a similar issue with a pc back then. Please if anyone knows anything or have a vague idea I am opening to pursuing it.

Switching out the PSU is a good test. Did you update the MB bios? Have you tried it one stick of RAM in different slots? Did your RAM come in a single package or two different ones?

Apr 10, 2019
Switching out the PSU is a good test. Did you update the MB bios? Have you tried it one stick of RAM in different slots? Did your RAM come in a single package or two different ones?

I did the flash update within the BIOS menu and my ram is in slots 2 and 4 but I have not moved them around any. Is there another combination I should start with?

Apr 10, 2019
Try only one stick of RAM in each slot and see if it works. Then try other other stick in each slot.

I will give that a shot. I was just double checking on the ASRock website for the support on my motherboard and it says that my ram at this speed is supported in dimm slot 2. Other manufactures show support in dimm slots 2/4. Does this mean that I can only use one of my ram sticks with this motherboard...I'm not 100% certain I understand this.

Apr 10, 2019
It was just a note , I tried a few of them , 2 didn't last , 1 was DOA. Not saying it's the issue.

Honestly I'm willing to consider anything at this point. I should note I had 2 of the delta t force 240gb ssds previously and the same issue was happening before I purchased this new one. I have spent a lot more money than I had originally intended on this so I'll do what it takes to get it up and running.

Apr 10, 2019
Update: Swapped out PSU but still got the same problems. Took the advice on memory and 1 stick worked in all slots, second stick sent the PC into and infinite start/shut down loop where it never got to the post point. So I removed it from the PC all together and but the good stick in dimm slot 2. Did a clean install of windows 10 after wiping 512gb ssd. Now I've run into a new issue.

New issue: After clean install I went to change my display from the 720 recommended to 1080 and it wasnt an option (it had been in the several installs before) so I checked for a windows update and there was a list of them. They all downloaded and stated pending install except the ninvidia display driver update which was stuck at 58% downloading. I left it alone and came back after about 45mins and found it said updates failed so I hit the retry button. Suddenly the screen went to 1080 (everything got smaller like the previous times i had set the display to 1080 during past windows 10 installs) but i could not pull up the settings screen anymore. It was still pinned to the task bar. Only thing I could access was start menu so I restarted it from there. On reboot I would get past motherboard screen to a black screen with my mouse cursor and that's it. No windows logo, no sign in. Just a black screen with a logo. I have reinstalled windows 10 twice now to find the same sequence of events after attempting to update it. Any thoughts?

Don't do the Nvidia driver until all the "required" updates have finished. If you get a "update(s) failed" message, it's usually because those updates require some other update to complete first. Just restart the PC, and run Windows update again. Rinse, repeat.

Are you getting your Windows 10 install image from here? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
That's always the most recent build.

You'll need to get an RMA started for your RAM kit. Obviously the 1 stick is bad, and you need 2 matched sticks.

Apr 10, 2019
Don't do the Nvidia driver until all the "required" updates have finished. If you get a "update(s) failed" message, it's usually because those updates require some other update to complete first. Just restart the PC, and run Windows update again. Rinse, repeat.

Are you getting your Windows 10 install image from here? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
That's always the most recent build.

You'll need to get an RMA started for your RAM kit. Obviously the 1 stick is bad, and you need 2 matched sticks.

Yes, I created the bootable USB from there last week with windows 10 64bit. Question about that though, the nvidia update starts downloading with all the others all at once. Is there a way to stop it?

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
I've actually had luck with cheap SSD's in the past. It's the cheap Asrock motherboards that I've heard have a bad reputation. I usually use MSI, they are pretty good, also used gigabyte before, I thought they made a nice board as well.

Apr 10, 2019
I haven't tried to install or check for any windows updates since reinstalling a fresh OS about 3 hours ago. Oddly enough everything went to 2560 x 1440 and installed the nvidia update by itself without me touching it. Have restarted it several time since I noticed the screen resolution had changed and its booted completely fine. I still havent checked for updates and I think I'll leave that alone for a while. Thanks for all the help! I will start a claim on the memory sticks since the one is messed up and see if I can get them replaced. Seriously, you guys have been a huge help!