Question PC performing WAY below expectations

Aug 11, 2020
Hi and thanks for your time.

Quick intro:

I don't use this laptop for gaming or nothing related to graphics handling, I use it for coding and studying.

It's a couple years old now, but it never worked fine. I'm running Ubuntu because it's what I use in my job and because and it feels way smoother than Windows, but I have Windows 10 installed as a second boot option.

I can code and do some light web browsing, but I can't even reproduce a video in 720p.

I fed up with this situation and thought of buying a SSD, but after some tests I found out that the storage is not the problem:

d8wUtRV.png

dUyqlbe.png

(https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31660618 )

I also ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, but it says it's all fine, even temperature.

Any idea of what could be causing this very poor performance of the RAM memory and processor? I don't want to buy a new PC, but I tried a lot of things to fix it (like installing different driver versions, fresh-installing Windows, avoiding the drivers that came in a DVD in the laptop box, etc) for months and nothing seems to work

What model is the laptop? You have one stick of ram and ram running in single channel is always a problem.

Your background usage is super high and the bench states throttling. What is your cpu temp during the bench? Have you checked task manager to see if there are any bloatware or unnecessary programs utilizing the cpu?

Aug 11, 2020
What model is the laptop? You have one stick of ram and ram running in single channel is always a problem.

Your background usage is super high and the bench states throttling. What is your cpu temp during the bench? Have you checked task manager to see if there are any bloatware or unnecessary programs utilizing the cpu?

It's a CX CX229 (a local brand, I think it's only sold in my country).
I don't have any bloatware software installed.
Temperatures during the test:

Before test:

sjvSA6Y.png

During CPU teest:
sjvSA6Y.png

During GPU test:

tZBc5KH.png

Temperature clearly raises during the GPU test, but it doesn't seem to be something to worry about, does it?

I have just checked this link: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-5200U-Notebook-Processor.127831.0.html and it says my processor's max temp is
105 °C

Alright, temps are fine, but you are being artificially throttled for some reason. the cpu is locked at its minimum frequency. You can check your power plan settings and check if the maximum processor state is set to 100%.
If that's at 100%, then press windows key+r , type in regedit and click ok, click on and expand hkey_local_machine, then expand system, then expand current control set, then expand services, and click on intelppm, on the right side will be a list, double click on start or right click and modify, change the value data to 4, click ok and restart the pc.
This is supposed to make the cpu run at full speed all the time, and if it does, you can go back and change the value to 1 so that it's not running full tilt all the time.

If that doesn't work, I guess you'll have too check the bios and see if there are any power management settings you can fiddle with. They should be under cpu configuration.

Aug 11, 2020
Alright, temps are fine, but you are being artificially throttled for some reason. the cpu is locked at its minimum frequency. You can check your power plan settings and check if the maximum processor state is set to 100%.
If that's at 100%, then press windows key+r , type in regedit and click ok, click on and expand hkey_local_machine, then expand system, then expand current control set, then expand services, and click on intelppm, on the right side will be a list, double click on start or right click and modify, change the value data to 4, click ok and restart the pc.
This is supposed to make the cpu run at full speed all the time, and if it does, you can go back and change the value to 1 so that it's not running full tilt all the time.

If that doesn't work, I guess you'll have too check the bios and see if there are any power management settings you can fiddle with. They should be under cpu configuration.

Regedit method didn't work, I tried running some tests after changing that value and everything remained the same.
But I found something weird when I checked the BIOS:

7OddEGf.jpg

I'm not able to select CPU configuration and it says that its speed is only 500MHz.
Could it be the problem? Any ideas of how I can enable that configuration?
Thank you!