PC performs double shutdown

MartynasB

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hello, I don't know where to put this thread exactly because this forum doesn't have a general discussion, but I hope this fits.

for the last two weeks, my computer has been having a weird shutdown process:

When I press the shutdown button in the start menu, everything would close like normally until the screen goes black at the end and then, my components would shut down, but LED lights and fans are still on, spinning. They stay on for about 5 seconds and then the PC would turn back on fully (all components working) and almost immediately turn off again, this time completely.

I am worried that such a double-shutdown process could wear my HDDs as they have to spin up and down twice during the shutdown.

Sometimes, seemingly almost randomly, the PC won't even shutdown - after the components go off, the fans and LEDs would keep working for about 20 seconds and then I hear a BIOS beep and the PC turns on and goes into boot.

This started happening after I installed Windows 10 AND plugged my new internal HDD, so the culprit could be one of them, both or none.

PC works fine besides the shutdown and I don't see any BSODs or such.

My specs:

Intel Core i5-4670
Gigabyte GTX 760 OC
WD Blue 1TB
WD Black 1TB (the new one)
Gigabyte B85M-D3V Motherboard
EVGA 600B-600W PSU

driftedpanic

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2013
There has been many issues with windows 10 and power issues. I would see if you have a BIOS update. I wouldn't worry about your HDD to much your HDD is built to slow down and speed up. I would fix this issue though. I would

Check for a BIOS update then go from there.