Question PC peripherals shutting down but PC keeps running ?

bammrt4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2018
So I'm on day 5-6 with this issue and am kinda stuck. So basically my peripherals being monitor, mouse& keyboard, and headset will all shut off and the PC tower is still running. Also the power button will not turn off the tower I have to flip the switch at the back. Monitor still has power just no signal. PC, monitor and router all plugged into same surge protector all still have power. I googled my problem and the exact thing that is happening is in a reddit post but their solution did not work for me unfortunately.

doesn't seem to matter whether under stress or idle happens either way. Just yesterday I was on it for 8 hours playing games and watching streams and then it happened again.I can get back into the PC but a lot of times I have to unplug the main motherboard psu cable for it turn back on with peripherals, otherwise the tower will come on but nothing else. Once I'm in I have anywhere from hours to minutes before the peripherals shut off again.

So like I said I don't know how to figure out the problem so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm assuming it's some kind of hardware issue my PC is very old but I know some software thing could also be happening. Psu is less than 2 years old.

i haven't downloaded anything weird or added any new hardware. Only thing I can think of that's new is new windows 10 update a few days ago I know that they like to break things. sometimes.

Things I've tried so far....
-dusting PC
-checking loose cables/ unplugging all cables and plugging back in
-reseting bios
-taking GPU and ram out and plugging back in
-checking motherboard for issues(capacitors and such....no issues)

Specs
Windows 10 64bit
AMD FX-4300
8gb ram ddr3
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS
GeForce GTX 750ti
2 hdds
600w bronze psu

Thanks for any help. Also sorry if this is in wrong place.

Solution
Also the power button will not turn off the tower I have to flip the switch at the back.
Even if you press and hold down the power button on the chassis?

600w bronze psu
600W is the advertised wattage of the unit, while bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit. What is the make and model of the PSU? You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 550W unit from a friend or neighbor and see if that helps alleviate the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Also the power button will not turn off the tower I have to flip the switch at the back.

600w bronze psu
600W is the advertised wattage of the unit, while bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit. What is the make and model of the PSU? You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 550W unit from a friend or neighbor and see if that helps alleviate the issue.

Solution

bammrt4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2018

600w bronze psu
Thanks for the reply

Yeah when the peripherals all shut off, the power button and reset button on the case both do nothing. The only way to shut off the PC at that point is the PSU switch or I guess pulling the plug.

And I was out when I wrote this initially so sorry I forgot the name of psu. It's a thermaltake smart series 600w and is 80+... I might be an idiot, I think I do totally have an extra psu somewhere I should've tried first would've let me know if it's a power thing or not lol I'll try to find it sometime tomorrow and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the suggestion. My brain sometimes I swear.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
So I'm on day 5-6 with this issue and am kinda stuck. So basically my peripherals being monitor, mouse& keyboard, and headset will all shut off and the PC tower is still running. Also the power button will not turn off the tower I have to flip the switch at the back. Monitor still has power just no signal. PC, monitor and router all plugged into same surge protector all still have power. I googled my problem and the exact thing that is happening is in a reddit post but their solution did not work for me unfortunately.

doesn't seem to matter whether under stress or idle happens either way. Just yesterday I was on it for 8 hours playing games and watching streams and then it happened again.I can get back into the PC but a lot of times I have to unplug the main motherboard psu cable for it turn back on with peripherals, otherwise the tower will come on but nothing else. Once I'm in I have anywhere from hours to minutes before the peripherals shut off again.

So like I said I don't know how to figure out the problem so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm assuming it's some kind of hardware issue my PC is very old but I know some software thing could also be happening. Psu is less than 2 years old.

i haven't downloaded anything weird or added any new hardware. Only thing I can think of that's new is new windows 10 update a few days ago I know that they like to break things. sometimes.

Things I've tried so far....
-dusting PC
-checking loose cables/ unplugging all cables and plugging back in
-reseting bios
-taking GPU and ram out and plugging back in
-checking motherboard for issues(capacitors and such....no issues)

Specs
Windows 10 64bit
AMD FX-4300
8gb ram ddr3
Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS
GeForce GTX 750ti
2 hdds
600w bronze psu

Thanks for any help. Also sorry if this is in wrong place.
I would try to borrow another PSU for testing purposes to eliminate it as a cause.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts