Question PC POSTs, but there's no display until the Windows welcome screen appears ?

MigRic

Honorable
Jan 26, 2017
Hi guys. Here are the specs:
  • I7 13700k
  • AsRock Z690 Steel Legend (DDR4)
  • 2X8Gb of ddr4 ram 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance (I already have this kit from my previous build)
  • Corsair RM1000X
  • Coolermaster masterliquid PL360 FLUX
  • ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME (from my previous build)
  • nvme 240gb Kingston A1000
  • 3tb hd Seagate
I built this system and decided to test it out. No display until the Windows welcome screen. If I try to access BIOS, my pc freezes with no display. I have to hard reset it. That's when I did a clean Windows 10 install. After that, my pc won't display anything. But here is the thing, my pc works fine. I put my pin to login. After logging in, I hit alt + F4 and hit enter. The pc shuts down. So my PC is POSTing but no display.
If I remove my Zotac GPU card, the system works just fine. The display shows the bios screen and the windows booting screen just fine.
What I've tried to do:
  • Change PCIE slot
  • Removing all USB
  • I cleared the cmos and removed the battery
  • Using HDMI or DP
  • Clean install of windows 10
  • Changed ram slots. I tried using my new ddr4 ram
  • Flashing BIOS to a previous version. Flashing to the latest version.
Nothing worked. When I turn on my pc, my LED for the Post Status Checker lights up the VGA light, after 1 second it lights up the BOOT light. Then after almost 2 seconds they turn off.
Thanks a lot!

Update 1: withou gpu, I changed my main display from "auto" to "onboard" and shutdown my pc. Then I installed my gpu back and the pc worked through my onboard graphics. I installed the geforce drivers and shutdown the pc. I got into bios and changed from "onboard" to "pcie2" (since this mobo has pcie2 for graphics). The pc booted successfully and I got it to work with the gpu!! However, if I try to enter bios, the pc still freezes and I have to do a hard reset. So I think this is a workaround solution. I'm still trying to figure this problem out. Does anyone have any idea?

Last edited:

MigRic

Honorable
Jan 26, 2017
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

If possible, configure BIOS to verbose mode.

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/v/verbose-mode.htm

Watch the verbose output both with and without the Zotac GPU installed.
Thanks a lot for the reply!!
As for my PSU info, it's a Corsair RM1000X brand new for this build specifically. 1000 watts.
Both my ram and my gpu are about 5 years old. I mainly used my old pc for gaming, a few hours a day and general usage. Both parts are working on my old pc.
Update: I used my igpu to install geforce drivers, switched back to my main display to pcie on bios and got it to work. However, if I try to enter bios, my pc freezes and I have to do a hard reset.
After work, I will try the verbose method.
Thanks a lot!!!