[SOLVED] PC Posts, but won’t boot into Windows

Nov 23, 2020
Hey there,

I’m building a new PC, but I don’t have my CPU or GPU yet, and I needed to update the BIOS on my motherboard for the 5000 series, so I put my brother’s CPU and GPU in my build (that’s why the specs will seem a bit odd atm). Here’s the spec list:

• ASUS TUF GAMING x570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)
  • G.SKILL DDR4 3600MHz CL16 64GB
  • Sabrent Rocket 4.0 M.2 NVMe 1TB (this is my drive; nothing is on it atm)
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB (this is my brother’s drive which has Windows installed on it)
  • Ryzen 5 2400G
  • RX580 (4GB version)
  • RMx 850W (White)

I don’t think the AIO or fans make a difference, so I won’t list them (lmk if I need to).

While testing the PC and updating the BIOS, we used my brother’s RAM since we knew it worked. The BIOS update went smoothly, and the PC posted after it.

We then swapped out the RAM and installed the NVMe drives. At first, the PC didn’t post, so we took out 2 sticks of RAM and tried that. The PC posted and booted into Windows. We then swapped out the RAM so that we tried all 4 sticks (but NOT at the same time, only 2 at a time), and they all worked. The PC posted and booted into Windows. So, we put all the RAM sticks back in, and the PC posted, leading me to believe that the RAM simply hadn’t been seated properly initially.

But now it won’t boot into Windows.

The PC turns on, posts, shows the screen saying it identified 2 drives, and then the screen goes black. Nothing happens.

The MB knows that there’s a Windows installation on the drive, since it shows up in the BIOS as a boot option. So... not sure what the issue is.

Some other info:
  • Both drives are detected without issue
  • It detects all 4 RAM sticks, for a total of 64GB
  • We are booting into Windows 10.

TL;DR: PC booted into Windows with 2 RAM sticks; added 2 more (for 4 total) and now it doesn’t. The PC does post and I can access the BIOS.

EDIT: BIOS is no longer detecting any boot drives. Uh oh. Both drives are still detected, however.

EDIT 2: I do have a backup of the drive, so I would be willing to reinstall Windows if necessary.

EDIT 3: I tried going back to 2 RAM sticks. Again, it posts, but doesn’t boot into Windows.

Last edited:
Solution
Reduce the system to the barest components needed.

1 stick of RAM, etc.
What exact thing happens onscreen when you try to power up?

IT WAS THE RAM

I swapped out the 1 stick I had in for one of the other ones, and it booted into Windows (sort of). The drive is corrupted now, as I’m told to try repairing Windows, but I’ll just do a fresh install, no problems there.

I just don’t understand how the MB was able to post with a faulty RAM stick... oh well, you live and you learn. Thanks for your help :)

USAFRet

Titan
It booted into Windows on my brother’s drive, which we took out of his PC. We recently migrated Windows from his old HDD over to the SSD, but we haven’t had any issues with it until now.
Well, this is an issue. One that results from trying to move a drive+OS between systems.
Windows is not as modular as we'd all like.

Initial success at booting up does not ensure lack of problems.

Nov 23, 2020
Can you put the drive+ OS with whatever motherboard and CPU it was with yesterday, before you staerted messing with it...

It seems to be an issue with my components, though. I can’t install Windows from a USB, either. I won’t be getting my CPU until end of February and who knows when I’ll get my GPU; by that point, the return date will have passed and I won’t be able to return anything. I’d like to get the system working now D:

I’ve messed with BIOS settings, reset the CMOS, played around with the RAM, etc. but I keep getting the same issue. It won’t boot into anything (neither Windows nor the Windows installer) aside from the BIOS. Is there somewhere I could like... call to get help? I feel like this issue is beyond my domain of expertise.

Nov 23, 2020
The screen turns on, I (sometimes) get the ASUS TUF GAMING logo and some text that says to press F2/DELETE to enter the BIOS.

If I do nothing, the screen goes black. If I press DELETE, it loads the BIOS.

Nov 23, 2020
Reduce the system to the barest components needed.

1 stick of RAM, etc.
What exact thing happens onscreen when you try to power up?

IT WAS THE RAM

I swapped out the 1 stick I had in for one of the other ones, and it booted into Windows (sort of). The drive is corrupted now, as I’m told to try repairing Windows, but I’ll just do a fresh install, no problems there.

I just don’t understand how the MB was able to post with a faulty RAM stick... oh well, you live and you learn. Thanks for your help :)

Solution