Question PC Power cord and socket burned What do i do?

Jun 23, 2024
Today, my pc power cord got burnt, pc turned off off out of nowhere then i found out, the psu is a EVGA GM 650 SFX, ive had this pc for 2-3 years no issues, i have a power limiter connected to my pc.

Full set of parts:
Powercolor 6700xt
Ryzen 5600x
EVGA 650 GM
ASrock B550-ITX

Any clue what happened?

WMksyUQ.jpeg
SHpnUvt.jpeg

Last edited:
Happened to me as well some time ago, some cords are not able to take the amount of current of a PC, weak wires, for me it smelled like burned rubber several times before it melted and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Although since for you it happened right on the connection it could be that you didn't plug it in all the way or it got lose over time and started creating arcs to try and conduct the power.

My PSU ,and the whole PC, survived it and was working fine for many years after it, the PSU is still is working but isn't in my main machine anymore.
jzSe9Gy.jpg

Bad connection led to local overheating, and an even worse connection until it burned. Could have been dirt, not plugged in all the way, too many insertion cycles or just plain tolerances stacking up leading to a loose fit. It happens.

Looks like a remotely mounted panel-mount IEC socket which may be easy enough to replace if it leads to an internally mounted PSU. And make sure the replacement IEC cable has a tight fit with your new socket.