Question PC Power cycling when playing graphically demanding games?

Jan 20, 2020
I've got a custom build pc (Will list specs if needed) and starting about a month ago it would turn itself off while playing games such as Battlefield 4, PUBG, Halo Reach, etc, but would be fine on games like Hearthstone (Card game).

I've checked the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while gaming but everything seemed normal (40c). My PSU started making a weird pulsing noise after 2 weeks of it happening for about a day and stopped and hasn't happened since. Don't really know if it's a PSU problem or RAM problem or motherboard problem but that's why I'm here, thanks! (PS updating GPU drivers didn't fix it)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product MSI X79A-GD45 Plus (MS-7760)
GPU R9 Fury X Watercooled
RAM 2x4gb (Don't know brand, unlabeled)

Jan 20, 2020
Often times an inadequate wattage/quality or a failing power supply can cause unexpected restarts under load.

Make model and age of your power supply?
How do I check the exact model of my power supply? All I know right now is it's a 750 watt coolermaster, whole build is about 5 years old, just started having these problems.

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
I've got a custom build pc (Will list specs if needed) and starting about a month ago it would turn itself off while playing games such as Battlefield 4, PUBG, Halo Reach, etc, but would be fine on games like Hearthstone (Card game).

I've checked the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while gaming but everything seemed normal (40c). My PSU started making a weird pulsing noise after 2 weeks of it happening for about a day and stopped and hasn't happened since. Don't really know if it's a PSU problem or RAM problem or motherboard problem but that's why I'm here, thanks! (PS updating GPU drivers didn't fix it)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product MSI X79A-GD45 Plus (MS-7760)
GPU R9 Fury X Watercooled
RAM 2x4gb (Don't know brand, unlabeled)
Sounds like a PSU problem, it might not be able to deliver enough power to that system or more likely is on the path to breaking. It could also be a unstable overclock on the CPU or GPU. Try stressing them individually, prime 95 (or any stress test) for CPU and furmark for GPU. That could help isolate the issue.

How do I check the exact model of my power supply? All I know right now is it's a 750 watt coolermaster, whole build is about 5 years old, just started having these problems.
750 watt Coolermaster, is there any way to determine if it's the PSU without taking it to a pc repair shop?
Can you take a picture of the side, upload it to www.imgbb.com and post the link here?

Coolermaster makes generally pretty mediocre power supplies at best, so this is a strong possibility.

Another common cause of unexpected restarts is thermal issues, but your thermals are fine. The unexpected restarts could be a fault with ram, video card, etc.

However, given your system has a pretty substantial power draw and is powered by a 5 year old CoolerMaster PSU, I would point to the PSU being the culprit.

Jan 20, 2020
Can you take a picture of the side, upload it to www.imgbb.com and post the link here?

Coolermaster makes generally pretty mediocre power supplies at best, so this is a strong possibility.

Another common cause of unexpected restarts is thermal issues, but your thermals are fine. The unexpected restarts could be a fault with ram, video card, etc.

However, given your system has a pretty substantial power draw and is powered by a 5 year old CoolerMaster PSU, I would point to the PSU being the culprit.
https://ibb.co/86ZyNPT