Question PC powers on once, immediately turns off, and does not turn on again

Astyra

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Hello,
I was installing a new CPU (Ryzen 7 5800x) and AIO (Corsair H60) on an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wi-Fi. I made some obvious mistakes, but none of which I expected to kill the system.

First, I installed the new parts but I forgot to update the BIOS. I downloaded the BIOS files (from another computer) to a USB drive (bootable cause I used it previously to install Windows 10).
I reset the system but the PC froze on the POST screen. The power button did not work, holding the power button also did not work, and eventually, I had to turn off the PSU and disconnect the cable from the PSU.
I figured the CPU could not enter BIOS cause it had no support, so I re-installed the old CPU (Ryzen 7 2700 with the AIO and bootable USB still connected), and now the PC has this issue in the title.
My PC would turn on once for like 2 seconds before shutting off. Additionally, I would try to power it on again but there would be completely no response from the PC.

I've tried (in order):
  • Tried with and without GPU -- no luck.
  • Tried another stable PSU -- no luck.
  • Tried all DIMM slots and also different RAM -- no luck.
  • Resetting CMOS -- no luck.
  • Taking out and putting back in the CMOS battery would repeat this problem (PC would turn on for 2 seconds and refuse to turn on again).
  • I've tried a new CMOS battery -- no luck.
  • Tried a new MOBO -- no luck.
I've thought that I might have corrupted the BIOS somehow with the bootable USB, but the issue persisted with another MOBO as well (did not insert USB to this one)... Now I'm just lost as to what to do.
Anybody have ideas as to why this problem exists and how to fix it?

Last edited:

Astyra

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
what the make and model of the gpu and psu?
check for bend cpu pin?
PSU I've tested with:
  • EVGA P2 750w (in system)
  • Seasonic 620 GM [M2ll Bronze]
GPU:
  • ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP Edition
Neither CPUs have bent pins.
I recall now that I also dripped some thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) near the pins and I tried cleaning it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush, not sure if that was bad...

Last edited:

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
PSU I've tested with:
  • EVGA P2 750w (in system)
  • Seasonic 620 GM [M2ll Bronze]
GPU:
  • ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP Edition
Neither CPUs have bent pins.
I recall now that I also dripped some thermal paste near the pins and I tried cleaning it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush, not sure if that was bad...
That isopropyl alcohol messed up the CPU socket. Sorry, but you're screwed.

Edit: That could explain why the pc cant even turn on, because of the motherboard has no working CPU, then it just shuts off.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
That isopropyl alcohol messed up the CPU socket. Sorry, but you're screwed.

Edit: That could explain why the pc cant even turn on, because of the motherboard has no working CPU, then it just shuts off.
Well actually, forgot to ask if it directly got on the pins. If not, then there's still a chance.

Astyra

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Well actually, forgot to ask if it directly got on the pins. If not, then there's still a chance.
That would be very unfortunate. I may have gotten the pins on the 2700 soaked but hopefully not the 5800x. I will have to test the 2700 on another system to confirm a dead CPU. I'll get back on this in a little bit.

Astyra

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
That would be very unfortunate. I may have gotten the pins on the 2700 soaked but hopefully not the 5800x. I will have to test the 2700 on another system to confirm a dead CPU. I'll get back on this in a little bit.
In a twist of events, the CPU works just fine on the other system. The only things left to test is the cooler and drives... Which I least expected. Unless there are other steps that I have missed? Any thoughts?

Astyra

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Update:
I have tested many many things and still have not found an answer.

• Disconnecting front-panel -- also a failure
  • Tested a 2nd CPU - still a failure
  • Tested 3rd MOBO - extra failure
  • Tested a 3rd PSU -- omega failure
  • New cooler -- omegalul failure
  • Disconnecting all drives -- my life story

The only thing I can think of now is this 3rd MOBO is also broken, and I should start going to church because God clearly hates me personally.
Time to replace a 4th MOBO unless somebody might have some sort of an idea.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Update:
I have tested many many things and still have not found an answer.

• Disconnecting front-panel -- also a failure
  • Tested a 2nd CPU - still a failure
  • Tested 3rd MOBO - extra failure
  • Tested a 3rd PSU -- omega failure
  • New cooler -- omegalul failure
  • Disconnecting all drives -- my life story
The only thing I can think of now is this 3rd MOBO is also broken, and I should start going to church because God clearly hates me personally.
Time to replace a 4th MOBO unless somebody might have some sort of an idea.
Damn, this is just sad. You might have to take it to the professionals, unless your area isn't safe enough due to COVID.

Astyra

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Damn, this is just sad. You might have to take it to the professionals, unless your area isn't safe enough due to COVID.
I honestly suspect an extremely unlikely series of unfortunate motherboards because the same CPU fully functioned well in another system for an entire day, and also worked well prior to attempting to upgrade this current system.
I'll request a replacement for the mobo and try one more time before taking it to professionals.

On the bright side, this is only my 3rd PC; I spent days trying to fix this thing and learned a lot of things in the process :)