Question PC problems - randomly shutting down

xVersak

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
I’ve been gaming for years, I got a MB upgrade a while back and everything was fine. One day maybe like 3-4 months later during a gaming session my pc randomly shut down, I was confused so then I proceeded to press the power button and it turned back on with no hassle. The issue got worse and worse to the point where I’d press the power button and then it would shut down within seconds. I decided to get a new PSU and it started working again so I was excited. After a couple weeks the problem slowly came back, it would shut down turn on fine and I’d game for a bit before it would proceed to shut down. It then again turned to shutting down in seconds every time I pressed the power button. I then tested out the my gpu removed still didn’t start, I tried 1 ram stick it didn’t start, I removed hdd didn’t start. I started getting frustrated so I cleaned up and repasted my CPU incase it was due to overheating and nope it didn’t fix. I then decided to quickly test a new cpu again from a friend and it worked for awhile before again happening again.

Cpu: AMD 5800x
Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570 Pro
Psu: (I’ll get the name soon currently at work, but 1000w)

edit: I also got new RAM sticks and tried a new ssd/hdd, nothing works

At this point I think it’s either my motherboard or CPU.
Any ideas??

Last edited:

xVersak

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
Such a tricky one but I would say board or PSU. A few questions:

What PSU do you have may I ask and how old is it?
What case do you have?
What GPU do you have?

I don’t want to say your wrong, but I have 3 PSU’s
Two news ones, 1 is about 6 months old and this 1000w one is 1 month old. I bought them this reason and ofc it didn’t fix anything.
Case : Fractal Meshify 2 - White, ATX
GPU: RTX 3080

Could the power button on the case be causing shut downs or is that even possible?

I don’t want to say your wrong, but I have 3 PSU’s
Two news ones, 1 is about 6 months old and this 1000w one is 1 month old. I bought them this reason and ofc it didn’t fix anything.
Case : Fractal Meshify 2 - White, ATX
GPU: RTX 3080

Could the power button on the case be causing shut downs or is that even possible?
I'm just guessing based on your description of the problem. Can I assume the 1000W is a good quality unit? If you have tried other PSU's and another CPU then it's probably not them. The power switch is just connecting the two power switch pins on the motherboard temporarily, I can only see it causing issues if it didn't release correctly. You could check it by unplugging it and bridging the pins with a screwdriver, you would have to be careful though:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

If the motherboard was making contact with any part of the metal case that could also cause a short circuit, was the case new or was it used with a previous motherboard? From my experience the motherboard tends to be the more problematic component.

xVersak

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2015
I'm just guessing based on your description of the problem. Can I assume the 1000W is a good quality unit? If you have tried other PSU's and another CPU then it's probably not them. The power switch is just connecting the two power switch pins on the motherboard temporarily, I can only see it causing issues if it didn't release correctly. You could check it by unplugging it and bridging the pins with a screwdriver, you would have to be careful though:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

If the motherboard was making contact with any part of the metal case that could also cause a short circuit, was the case new or was it used with a previous motherboard? From my experience the motherboard tends to be the more problematic component.

yes it’s a good unit paid quite a bit for it as well, I’m currently not home so I can’t remember the name.
I tried 3 psus and eventually the problem happened with each, I bought new ram and used a new hdd/ssd and same issue. Two things I haven’t changed or tried new are the motherboard and CPU.
I feel like it’s one of those, I’ve opened my pc checked for loose screws, reinstalled every piece of hardware correctly.
I’m lost though like unless my CPU or MB is damaged or something, I don’t have a clue what else it could be
I wanted some help here before I decide on buying something.
I’m worried about buying a motherboard and the issue still persisting, so I don’t know if I should just buy a new cpu and mb basically upgrade since every other item has been replaced.

yes it’s a good unit paid quite a bit for it as well, I’m currently not home so I can’t remember the name.
I thought it would be just wanted to check.

I tried 3 psus and eventually the problem happened with each, I bought new ram and used a new hdd/ssd and same issue. Two things I haven’t changed or tried new are the motherboard and CPU.
When I had a problem with my machine, I tried virtually every component and was eventually left with only the motherboard I hadn't tried. Put in a new one and been fine ever since. You say you tried a new CPU from a friend, if that had the same issue then it does sound like the motherboard.