Question PC random restarts after new Ryzen 5 5600x

Jul 3, 2022
Hello,
I recently upgraded my Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 5600x. Since then I have probles with random restarts. I managed to fix it by manually setting up CPU Frequency and Voltage(VID) Change in BIOS. When this setting was on Auto, my PC randomly restarted, sometimes after 5 hours sometimes on lock screen, it is completely random. Everything goes black, screen, mouse and keyboard. After setting this setting to manual values: 4500 MHz and 1.4V my PC is running fine. (I can also use different values: I tried 3700 MHz and 1.2V , 4300 MHz and 1.4V.

I know it is not overheating because it is running at 50 celsius on idle and max 80 when gaming.

I was also getting this WHEA EVENT ID 18 in Event Viewer.

To troubleshoot I tried: switching PSU-s (750W and 650W)
turning off and on PBO and XMP
switching Windows power plans
fresh installation of Windows
updating BIOS and Chipset for my motherboard

I really don't know why I can't run it on Auto settings. Also I really want to know what values are best for my CPU (Ryzen 5 5600x) and my motherboard (ASRock B450M Steel Legend.)

If needed rest of my PC: 2x8GB HyperX Predator 3200 MHz
Thermaltake 600W PSU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe 500GB
PNY 240GB SSD
WDC 1000GB HDD

I really hope you can tell me what is wrong with my PC and how can I fix it.
Is my CPU healthy or should I do RMA?

Thanks in advance

DSzymborski

Titan
What are the exact PSUs involved? You say 650W and 750W but you only tell us "600W Thermaltake" which is simultaneously little information (since no model) and frightening in that Thermaltake has some truly awful PSUs available at that output (Smart, TR2). If you have one of the awful ones, it could very well explain why there are issues with the CPU in auto, where it aggressively de facto overclocks itself.

Jul 3, 2022
What are the exact PSUs involved? You say 650W and 750W but you only tell us "600W Thermaltake" which is simultaneously little information (since no model) and frightening in that Thermaltake has some truly awful PSUs available at that output (Smart, TR2). If you have one of the awful ones, it could very well explain why there are issues with the CPU in auto, where it aggressively de facto overclocks itself.
Yeah I'm sorry I didn't mentioned the exact model. So, the one I use is: Thermaltake SMART DPS G 600W, but I also tried with Corsair RM 750x and with Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80+ Gold which.
With every PSU issue is litteraly the same.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems you have been tweaking your BIOS quite a bit. Hard to troubleshoot without starting from a good baseline (default BIOS settings).

As reported, this seems like a possible BIOS version issue (but shouldn't be the case here, based on the update applied) or a possible heat and/or power issue (thus the PSU questions).

What, if anything, are you overclocking (CPU, GPU, memory)? If you drop the memory speed to the DDR4 default speed of 2133, does stability improve?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jul 3, 2022
Seems you have been tweaking your BIOS quite a bit. Hard to troubleshoot without starting from a good baseline (default BIOS settings).

As reported, this seems like a possible BIOS version issue (but shouldn't be the case here, based on the update applied) or a possible heat and/or power issue (thus the PSU questions).

What, if anything, are you overclocking (CPU, GPU, memory)? If you drop the memory speed to the DDR4 default speed of 2133, does stability improve?
Default values in BIOS just crashes the system.
I tried 4 different BIOS versions, I tried 4.30 which is the last, 4.20 and version before 4.20. I also tried 3.60 but with every BIOS version everything is the same.
I tried 3 different PSU-s. I tried my Thermaltake SMART DPS G 600W, also tried Corsair RM 750x and Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80+ Gold and still the same thing.
I tried playing with RAM Speeds also yeah. I tried XMP 3200MHz, XMP 3000MHz also with and without XMP. Tried BIOS default 2400 MHz and 2133 MHz. Ending is still the same.