[SOLVED] PC random shutdown but no BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
My PC Occasionally shutdown it self with NO BSOD this year, theres really no pattern on when will it shut it self. It may take weeks or at least month with no issue but when it do it repeatedly shuts itsel,f its really annoying.. I thought switching to windows 10 cause this but once i revert to windows 7 it has the same issue. I m trying to figure it out which hardware is responsible. I use my PC for HTCP browsing and Surveillance. it Always On 24/7 since 2016.

PC Specs:

Windows 7/10
Processor: Intel I3 4130 with CM Hyper 212 (since 2016)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M HD3 (since 2016)
Memory Kingston 16 Gb dual stick KHX1600C10D3 (since 2016)
HArd Drive WD 1TB Blue and WD 4 TB Purple since 2016 and 2018
PSU: XFX 650 Pro ( almost 10 yrs old but rarely use in 1st five yrs)
UPS: APC new.

My limited understanding of hardware failure is, I expect it will cause BSOD, instead the PC is trying to Properly Shutdown itself. But when there a lot of App and Browser open, the PC shutdown in half a second and did not perform/finished a clean shutdown as if it is in hurry to turn itself off.
Here the "solution' I tried based on what I ve read in other forum:

Reinstall Windows
Clean my PC with Air Blower
Reapply Thermal Paste
Install Coretemp to monitor temp ( barely reach 45 deg)
BIOS: Change power loading (to ENABLE)
BIOS: Change Erp to (to ENABLE)
Test my RAM with Memtest86 ( PASSED)
Open the Case Cover both side for dissipate heat

At first I thought heat causes the issue then I then open the cover of both side of the case, I even put usb fan to blow air inside . but still experience shutdown. I m really running out of idea of what to do.

If there will be change with hardware which should I replace first?

PS

I dont know how to read Windows event viewer.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I would try another PSU first.

Tnx for the reply.

Why PSU? can a PSU "talk" to PC to perform clean shutdown? I have my experience with my past PC when the PSU is the problem it just turn itself OFF with no warning, NO BSOD. With my current situation, I thought the motherboard is the problem whose faulty sensor receiving false reading thus the clean shutdown . BTW i forgot to add that once my pc shut itself the PC is in Boot Loop every 2 second, CPU fan powers then turn off with no POST to. Sometimes no Boot Loop I just wake up that my PC is turn off.

does the boot loop cause by PSU or motherboard? If answered which one then I m going to replace it for sure. I just need advice tnx.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
OK! I replace my PSU with Seasonic Core GC 550 I m going to update this thread to see if I still experiencing random shutdown . so dont close this thread so other can see this as reference for their similar problem.

Last edited:

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I ve been using my new psu for 24/7 since December 23 but now Jan 19 I woke up and found out that my pc is turn off. event viewers says Kernel 41.

more updates if still experience same issue.

sydnew

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Its the hot SouthBridge that is Causing the shutdown. I accidentally touch the heatsink its very hot , then I put a 120mm fan in front of it and then the PC did not shutdown for month. I apply new thermal paste under the heatsink and remove the 120mm fan and my PC no longer experiencing shutdown ever since.

although this answer is very late I hope this help for those who exhaust their option for finding the solution to the random shutdown. tnx

pls close this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.