[SOLVED] PC randomly freezing after installing AIO Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2021
I've recently improved my PC setup with an AIO Cooler from Corsair (H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm) and an extra HDD. After installing this, I've had issues with random display freeze and having to reboot the PC through the power button. During the freezes where I've had CPU and GPU monitoring open, there's been no excessive temperatures (they're always around 40-69 degrees) however, the GPU usage has popped to 100% on Spotify a few times during the freeze. I tried troubleshooting by doing the following things one by one, sadly it keeps freezing. Funny enough this never happens during gaming, but mostly during less heavy processes like studying, browsing, just playing music, zoom meetings etc.
Could it perhaps be the fact that I changed from HDMI on my 4k monitor to display port? I did so while changing the coolers, so right before the freezing started. When the PC freezes the zoom meeting or whatever I'm in, still keeps going in the background, so only the display with freeze, the sound etc keeps running.

Troubleshooting:
  1. Deleting Spotify
  2. Deleting iCue software (corsair software for the RGB fans)
  3. Reformatting the PC and reinstalling Windows 10
  4. Checking if the AIO cooler was tightened too much on the CPU
  5. Updated GPU software

PC specs:
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX Phoenix 2060
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
RAM: G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-3000 16GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X with Wraith Spire
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2TB
PSU: Corsair VS650 v2 650W
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum
Extra fan: Corsair LL120 RGB
Case: NZXT
Double 27" monitors, one being ultra HD and the other 4k

I hope any one of you are able to help, so I can relive my dear PC and game etc. without any interrupts :D

Best regards,
Elena

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair VS650 v2 650W
How old is the unit?

When you speak of reformatting the system for a OS reinstall, did you fabricate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Also, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Reactions: elenamx
May 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair VS650 v2 650W
How old is the unit?

When you speak of reformatting the system for a OS reinstall, did you fabricate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? Also, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Thank you very much! ^^

The PSU is 1,5 yrs old and has only been running on this system. So it should be alright.

The reformatting for OS install was through booting a harddrive where I had Windows 10 ready to be installed. I'm running UEFI, SMBIOS version 3.1

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check Event Viewer and Reliability History and see if there are any helpful codes or information there.

Loads of Event 41 'can' be indicative of PSU issues. Keep in mind that if you have been manually turning the computer off they will log at 41 as well.
The information there can be overwhelming and a lot of it is just typical stuff, but cross reference what you are seeing in a search to look for the serious stuff.

May 5, 2021
Check Event Viewer and Reliability History and see if there are any helpful codes or information there.

Loads of Event 41 'can' be indicative of PSU issues. Keep in mind that if you have been manually turning the computer off they will log at 41 as well.
The information there can be overwhelming and a lot of it is just typical stuff, but cross reference what you are seeing in a search to look for the serious stuff.

So from what I can see, I've had Event 41 (Task Category 63) around all the recent crashes, so you're definitely on to something. The Source says "Kernel-Power". From the information I can gather, it can be a Windows fault as well as a PSU fault. When I added my HDD, I just used a random PSU plug for it, does it have to be in a specific sequence or? Perhaps that could be the issue.

So from what I can see, I've had Event 41 (Task Category 63) around all the recent crashes, so you're definitely on to something. The Source says "Kernel-Power". From the information I can gather, it can be a Windows fault as well as a PSU fault. When I added my HDD, I just used a random PSU plug for it, does it have to be in a specific sequence or? Perhaps that could be the issue.
As long as that cable came with and was made to use with your specific PSU you should be fine as far as the HDD is concerned.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

In a case like this I would probably breadboard and make the system as minimal as possible. See if it remains stable. Start adding components back and see where or at what level of power draw the instability occurs at.
Also suggest removing any OC to CPU or RAM as that is just one more possibility.

In my own case I had a LOAD of issues out of a particular Ryzen build I did until I found a "happy place" BIOS revision for it.

May 5, 2021
In a case like this I would probably breadboard and make the system as minimal as possible. See if it remains stable. Start adding components back and see where or at what level of power draw the instability occurs at.
Also suggest removing any OC to CPU or RAM as that is just one more possibility.

In my own case I had a LOAD of issues out of a particular Ryzen build I did until I found a "happy place" BIOS revision for it.
I will try that, thanks. What is "OC to CPU or RAM"?

May 5, 2021
So I've tried a few other things, but the only way that my PC seems to not freeze is if I always have a game, or sth else with high load, running in the background. It's only when the PC is at idle that it freezes. I haven't changed any OC settings, they're all at default atm. Honestly this makes no sense to me. RAM, power usage, CPU and GPU seems fine, no spikes etc. Just event 41's when I'm not keeping it busy o_O

So I've tried a few other things, but the only way that my PC seems to not freeze is if I always have a game, or sth else with high load, running in the background. It's only when the PC is at idle that it freezes. I haven't changed any OC settings, they're all at default atm. Honestly this makes no sense to me. RAM, power usage, CPU and GPU seems fine, no spikes etc. Just event 41's when I'm not keeping it busy o_O
This also funnily enough points towards the PSU. Something could be wrong with the way the PSU regulates voltage at lower wattage idle scenarios but is alleviated when a higher load is placed on the parts by games and et cetera. If you can borrow a PSU from a friend to test, or bring it to a local shop so they can test it with a known good PSU, or even potentially buy a good name brand replacement and install it that would either solve your issue or take us to the next step diagnostically. Just make sure that if you buy a new PSU get something preferably on this list and when you test or install a new PSU make sure to use only the cables that came with the new or test PSU;
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/p...2000000000000&p=1,2&m=11,71&sort=price&page=1

May 5, 2021
This also funnily enough points towards the PSU. Something could be wrong with the way the PSU regulates voltage at lower wattage idle scenarios but is alleviated when a higher load is placed on the parts by games and et cetera. If you can borrow a PSU from a friend to test, or bring it to a local shop so they can test it with a known good PSU, or even potentially buy a good name brand replacement and install it that would either solve your issue or take us to the next step diagnostically. Just make sure that if you buy a new PSU get something preferably on this list and when you test or install a new PSU make sure to use only the cables that came with the new or test PSU;
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/p...2000000000000&p=1,2&m=11,71&sort=price&page=1

Alright, next step is figuring if the issue is the PSU. I have updated the BIOS, but I'm still bumping into random freezes sadly. However(!), updating the BIOS did fix and issue of my PC rebooting straight after it starts up. So that's one problem out of the way :D I'll add some new thermal paste today or tomorrow, to see if that could fix the issue as the current one was pre-added by the AIO manufacturer. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near an issue with the thermal paste, since temps are fine, but I've seen on some forums that it did fix freezes with fine temps. So why not give it a shot. I'll give a shout if it's fixed, or when I've tried troubleshooting both thermal paste and PSU.

Thanks for being so helpful all of you!

Reactions: helper800
May 5, 2021
Finally I got my PC problem SOLVED!

I eventually figured that the issue was corrupted RAM.

For anyone reading this thread trying to fix their own PC: My issue was random freezes with no blue screen, justthe programs slowly freezing one by one till the entire PC was frozen, yet still running.

Troubleshooting:
  1. Testing if specific programs caused the crash (Spotify, Corsair iCue, Chrome, etc.)
  2. Getting the PSU voltage outputs tested from a professional
  3. Testing cooling system on CPU
  4. Overclocking GPU
  5. Reformatting and reinstalling Windows 10
  6. Downloading latest version of BIOS
  7. Reapplying thermal paste
  8. Testing the tightening of the AIO cooler screws on the CPU and mobo
  9. Monitoring event log (this is where I figured it might be the RAM)
  10. Testing RAM by plugging in reserve RAM and letting it run till it crashes (which it didn't)
  11. Testing current RAM after being thoroughly cleaned with isopropanyl --> still crashed = RAM was the issue.

Thanks everyone for helping out, means a lot!

Finally I got my PC problem SOLVED!

I eventually figured that the issue was corrupted RAM.

For anyone reading this thread trying to fix their own PC: My issue was random freezes with no blue screen, justthe programs slowly freezing one by one till the entire PC was frozen, yet still running.

Troubleshooting:
  1. Testing if specific programs caused the crash (Spotify, Corsair iCue, Chrome, etc.)
  2. Getting the PSU voltage outputs tested from a professional
  3. Testing cooling system on CPU
  4. Overclocking GPU
  5. Reformatting and reinstalling Windows 10
  6. Downloading latest version of BIOS
  7. Reapplying thermal paste
  8. Testing the tightening of the AIO cooler screws on the CPU and mobo
  9. Monitoring event log (this is where I figured it might be the RAM)
  10. Testing RAM by plugging in reserve RAM and letting it run till it crashes (which it didn't)
  11. Testing current RAM after being thoroughly cleaned with isopropanyl --> still crashed = RAM was the issue.
Thanks everyone for helping out, means a lot!
I am really glad you figure out the issues and posted back for other users. RAM and PSU issues many times have the same issues of random shutdowns. Cheers and happy gaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.