PC SPECS:
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 01
Motherboard: Asus Prime B350 Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: Asus Cerberus 1050ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb (16GB Kit) 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair CX550m 80+ Bronze
Storage: Samsung 960 evo M.2 1TB SSD & Kingston 480GB SSD

I have been experiencing this issue for about 5 months now, and it seems to have gotten worse over time, but don't quote me on that.

The issue is that whilst doing anything from browsing the internet to playing games, my computer will randomly freeze for about 10 to 20 seconds with no error popping up. The only indication I have is the hard drive LED on the case will stay lit up solid for the duration of the momentary freeze. I believe that the power supply is the issue as when the pc restarts, no blue screen of death appears, it just turns off and on again. The momentary freezing starts as soon as the computer turns on.

Storage: I have replaced every drive in the computer since the beginning of the issue, which means that it is not a storage device failure
RAM: I have tried running the pc with only 1 RAM stick in at a time, but the freezing still happened, so it is not the RAM
GPU: I have ran benchmarks with the GPU, where it handles perfectly fine and never fails, so it is not likely to be the GPU
Motherboard: I have checked all capacitors, pins and connections and updated the BIOS to the most recent version, but the issue still occurred
Drivers: I have checked all drivers and updated them all, but the issue hasn't been resolved
CPU: I have ran benchmarks alongside the GPU which were handled as expected from the cpu, no faults and no overheating
PSU: The suspected culprit, I believe that the power supply may be dying or not supplying adequate power to the system

I have no spare PSU to test on the computer, and I dont want to spend money on one if that is not the issue. Any suggestions guys?

Any questions let me know :)
Thanks, Alfie

Solution
Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance/reaction when you try tabbing into a full screen game.

Watch first for a few minutes until the system is stable. No backups, AV scans, updates, etc. going on.

Overall idea being to ensure that there is not some bottleneck or other issue in place with respect to the components being monitored.

Then try the tabbing.

A crash when the GPU is suddenly called upon to support a fullscreen game would be, to me, an indication of a problem PSU.

A quick check of Reliability History may find some error codes or warnings. However, if all that is captured is an "improper shutdown" - that error likewise implicates the PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately, the PSU may indeed be the problem.

How old is that Corsair PSU? Was it new, refurbished, or from another computer?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with freezes, restarts, etc..

If you find a mix of errors that likely indicates a failing PSU. Especially when the problems occur at all levels of use; browsing to gaming....

Nov 4, 2019
Unfortunately, the PSU may indeed be the problem.

How old is that Corsair PSU? Was it new, refurbished, or from another computer?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with freezes, restarts, etc..

If you find a mix of errors that likely indicates a failing PSU. Especially when the problems occur at all levels of use; browsing to gaming....

I bought the PSU brand new from Amazon about 18 months ago, so I believe it within the warranty time, which I think is 5 years, I Have not been able to find software that monitors power supply usage, but I know that some things like tabbing into a fullscreen game will usually instigate a pc restart.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance/reaction when you try tabbing into a full screen game.

Watch first for a few minutes until the system is stable. No backups, AV scans, updates, etc. going on.

Overall idea being to ensure that there is not some bottleneck or other issue in place with respect to the components being monitored.

Then try the tabbing.

A crash when the GPU is suddenly called upon to support a fullscreen game would be, to me, an indication of a problem PSU.

A quick check of Reliability History may find some error codes or warnings. However, if all that is captured is an "improper shutdown" - that error likewise implicates the PSU.

Solution
Nov 4, 2019

Then try the tabbing.

I have just purchased a new Corsair TX650m 80+ Gold PSU from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow, I will Install it and update you on the status of the issue, I have previously used task manager and resource monitor which have shown no bottlenecks, however it did, as you said, show 100% GPU and CPU usage when tabbing into a fullscreen game, which points to the PSU, but we shall find out for sure tomorrow when the new PSU arrives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.