Question PC randomly rebooting in the middle of games, CPU or GPU?

Oct 17, 2022
I have had this build for almost 2 years. Recently the monitor has been going black and the pc reboots randomly while in the middle of whatever game I'm playing. Its happened during several different games. I think it's the graphics card but I am not sure. Also about a month before this rebooting out of nowhere issue started my CPU fan doesn't always start on boot. It wiggles like its trying but usually needs a little push from me to start spinning. Maybe it just needs some cleaning although I've tried that. So now I don't know if the issue if the GPU or CPU. Any thoughts?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair RM750 (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Hey there,

This kind of behaviour is inidcitive of a PSU issue. How old is yours?

However, a bios problem could potentially cause similar problems. Are you OC'ing any components? If so, run everything at stock and see if problem persists.

System drivers and GPU drivers up to date?

Oct 17, 2022
Hey there,

This kind of behaviour is inidcitive of a PSU issue. How old is yours?

However, a bios problem could potentially cause similar problems. Are you OC'ing any components? If so, run everything at stock and see if problem persists.

System drivers and GPU drivers up to date?

yea I’ve updated every driver I could. I know some parts can be OC’d but I don’t do any of that. The PSU I have is about 2-3 years old. I bought all the parts at the same time.
I don’t know if it helps but it seems to happen with some games and not others. I can play Assassins Creed Valhalla fine but then I play Age of empire IV and it crashes.

Nov 9, 2022
Hey , I am having the same issue but my PC is like 2 months old and have a Corsair 850w gold PSU. Did you figure out what was causing this? Mine only started this around 2 weeks ago, frankly around the time I updated the NVIDIA drivers but a roll back of them has not helped. I cant play any games :(

Oct 17, 2022
Hey , I am having the same issue but my PC is like 2 months old and have a Corsair 850w gold PSU. Did you figure out what was causing this? Mine only started this around 2 weeks ago, frankly around the time I updated the NVIDIA drivers but a roll back of them has not helped. I cant play any games :(
Sorry this is so late a response but the holidays and some medical issues came up. Anyways I thought it was fixed for the past month or so but this past week it started doing it again. This time with a game I play daily and never had an issue even when this happened before. So I have no idea what it could be still

Sorry this is so late a response but the holidays and some medical issues came up. Anyways I thought it was fixed for the past month or so but this past week it started doing it again. This time with a game I play daily and never had an issue even when this happened before. So I have no idea what it could be still
If not stated before...whenever problems like this pop up the first thing to do is reset CMOS to return all BIOS settngs to defaults. The next thing is to remove any overclocks on your video card. That's the first step to isolate whether you have a hardware problem causing it or a setup problem with CPU, memory or GPU.

Radeon settings will reset GPU overclock settings after a system crash whether or not it was the GPU that caused it.