[SOLVED] PC randomly restarted, GPU no longer works

imaxium

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014
Playing Division 2 this morning when my PC suddenly hard reboots. Instant black screen, shut offs, then starts up. But when it rebooted, I no longer had a display. Just black screens. I then forced a shutdown, unplugged power, re-plugged, rebooted, still no display. I swapped out my RTX 2060 for my old GTX 760, and booted up and had display. I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see if my card is still under warranty. However, I find it odd that my card just randomly failed, and am wondering if something else caused it to fail. Since the card is often running 40-80% in games due to CPU bottleneck(was planning to possibly upgrade CPU this winter). I dont want to get a new card, and potentially have a repeat incident.

Questions:
  1. Could other components have caused this (PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM)?
  2. Is my PSU sufficent for my setup(listed below)?
  3. what is the highlighted spot in attached pic? plastic is darker, and glossy vs the lighter grey and matte feel of the rest of the card.

Setup:
Motherboard: Asus z97-AR
CPU: i5-4690k OC to 4.3GHz at 1.23V
RAM: 8Gb DDR3
GPU: Upgraded to: EVGA geforce RTX 2060 6Gb (Original: GTX geforce 760 2gb)
PSU: Corsair CX 500 80+ Bronze
Wifi adapter: Intel wireless AC 8260 with bluetooth usb plugged in (installed recently)
Monitors: AOC 24G1, old Dell E178FP
Other: 120SSD, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, DVD optics drive, Syba Sonic USB DAC for Philips SHP9500 headphones

Picture of RTX 2060:
nQD2ohH.png

Solution
Playing Division 2 this morning when my PC suddenly hard reboots. Instant black screen, shut offs, then starts up. But when it rebooted, I no longer had a display. Just black screens. I then forced a shutdown, unplugged power, re-plugged, rebooted, still no display. I swapped out my RTX 2060 for my old GTX 760, and booted up and had display. I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see if my card is still under warranty. However, I find it odd that my card just randomly failed, and am wondering if something else caused it to fail. Since the card is often running 40-80% in games due to CPU bottleneck(was planning to possibly upgrade CPU this winter). I dont want to get a new card, and potentially have a repeat incident.

Questions:
  1. ...

Questions:
  1. Could other components have caused this (PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM)?
  2. Is my PSU sufficent for my setup(listed below)?
  3. what is the highlighted spot in attached pic? plastic is darker, and glossy vs the lighter grey and matte feel of the rest of the card.
Setup:
Motherboard: Asus z97-AR
CPU: i5-4690k OC to 4.3GHz at 1.23V
RAM: 8Gb DDR3
GPU: Upgraded to: EVGA geforce RTX 2060 6Gb (Original: GTX geforce 760 2gb)
PSU: Corsair CX 500 80+ Bronze
Wifi adapter: Intel wireless AC 8260 with bluetooth usb plugged in (installed recently)
Monitors: AOC 24G1, old Dell E178FP
Other: 120SSD, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, DVD optics drive, Syba Sonic USB DAC for Philips SHP9500 headphones

Picture of RTX 2060:
nQD2ohH.png
Could be, and probably is, the PSU. The old CX units are definitely not good enough for an RTX 2060. Get a new PSU, like a CX550(newer design, much better quality, it has a grey label to differentiate it from older CX series).

Solution
This area on the picture is the back of the GPU power regulator. I would probably want @TechyInAZ to see this.

2 Questions:
  1. Was the GPU overclocked?
  2. Is the GPU on warranty?
To answer your original question:
  1. bad PSU is indeed on the weak side but would probably not cause this, rather drive the system unstable and lead to thermal shutdowns and blue screens. PSU has to be doing something really weird for it to cause this.
  2. CPU is on the weak side to unveil 2060 potential, getting something more recent (CPU+RAM+Mobo will probably give you about 20% performance boost)

Last edited: