Jan 15, 2021
I've had this problem for a long time, but it's so unpredictable that I sometimes forget about it. My PC randomly shuts down and restarts, without warning, it loses power and then starts again. Sometimes days go by without problems, other times it restarts multiple times a day. Sometimes it restarts while doing almost nothing (surfing web) and it can run normally when playing a game, so I guess it's not overheating problem.
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3330
RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: Z77-DS3H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA

I checked Event Viewer and 3 critical errors frequently appear:
Event 41, Kernel Power (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)
Event 10110, DriverFrameworks-UserMode (A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.)
Event 10111, DriverFrameworks-UserMode (The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.)

Solution
Thank you Keith12. I am using a G3 supernova 80 plus gold EVGA power supply. Also I tried another power supply that was powering one of my other machines and I had the same results

That's a quality PSU. Hmmm. Given you've tried both PSU's with same results, it really narrows it down to CPU/mobo as you've said. With practically every other component swapped out, it's one or the other (CPU/Mobo). It's prob a good idea to take CPU out (I know that's a pain in the arse - because you will prob have to re-paste CPU) and check for any bent pins. If there is nothing appreciably damaged, I'd just go and RMA that mobo.

After everything you've tried, they are the last two things to look at. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, or help...

RagnaSE

Commendable
Nov 22, 2020
Not sure if helpful. I had a problem with randomly restarting windows some time ago. It turned out to be the ram. I had bought 3200 corsair ram and set it to 3200 in the bios. We did run memtest64 as well as every other popular benchmark to test it. neither memtest64, nor memtest32 found issues .. but it would still crash in almost every game.

When we set the ram to 2666, it never crashed. (but we have replaced the ram since and threw the faulty one away)

i do not know what your error messages point to .. but in my case, when it was the ram .. the system would simply blue screen and reboot.

Jan 20, 2021
I am having a similar issue with the restart. I built a new PC about 4 months ago and it was working great till around December when it started randomly restarting. I swapped out the power supply with a working one I had still random restarts. I swapped graphics card with a working one I still have restarts. I put the ram in single channel and tried one stick at a time.. still restarts. It does not restart while in the bios so I swapped hard drives and reinstalled a fresh version of windows and updated everything.. still random restarts. I bought brand new ram and installed it.. still random restarts. I turned off XMP on both sets of ram.. still random restarts. My pc now will not even let windows load without restarting. I don't think it is a heat issue cause the machine never runs long enough to get warm. Only thing I have not swapped is the mother board or CPU. Here are my specs:
Gigabyte X570 pro wifi gaming motherboard
AMD 3700X
32 Gigs of Trident Gskill ram
Evga 2070 super
Evga 750w power supply
500gig Nvme.2 hard drive

Any info would be appreciated. I am at a loss. Thank you

I am having a similar issue with the restart. I built a new PC about 4 months ago and it was working great till around December when it started randomly restarting. I swapped out the power supply with a working one I had still random restarts. I swapped graphics card with a working one I still have restarts. I put the ram in single channel and tried one stick at a time.. still restarts. It does not restart while in the bios so I swapped hard drives and reinstalled a fresh version of windows and updated everything.. still random restarts. I bought brand new ram and installed it.. still random restarts. I turned off XMP on both sets of ram.. still random restarts. My pc now will not even let windows load without restarting. I don't think it is a heat issue cause the machine never runs long enough to get warm. Only thing I have not swapped is the mother board or CPU. Here are my specs:
Gigabyte X570 pro wifi gaming motherboard
AMD 3700X
32 Gigs of Trident Gskill ram
Evga 2070 super
Evga 750w power supply
500gig Nvme.2 hard drive

Any info would be appreciated. I am at a loss. Thank you

Hi,

See above, with regard to random restarts. The kernal power error is key here. This is different than crashes from memory etc. Normally with mem issues, you will get BSOD or hard freeze, while stuff still sounds off in the background.

You should really start your own thread for this.

However, seeing as we are hear, what exact EVGA 750w do you have. Not all PSU's are made equal, even if branded like EVGA. Although it may work for the most part, that doesn't mean it's working perfectly. If your PSU is modular you might try changing cables.

Jan 20, 2021
Hi,

See above, with regard to random restarts. The kernal power error is key here. This is different than crashes from memory etc. Normally with mem issues, you will get BSOD or hard freeze, while stuff still sounds off in the background.

You should really start your own thread for this.

However, seeing as we are hear, what exact EVGA 750w do you have. Not all PSU's are made equal, even if branded like EVGA. Although it may work for the most part, that doesn't mean it's working perfectly. If your PSU is modular you might try changing cables.
Thank you Keith12. I am using a G3 supernova 80 plus gold EVGA power supply. Also I tried another power supply that was powering one of my other machines and I had the same results

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Solaxer

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
I've had this problem for literally years; it'll work fine for days/weeks/months, then suddenly decide that it will turn itself off and on for hours until magically it stops. So bizarre, and the only way I've gotten it to stop, which could have totally been by chance, was switching the ram sticks around until I booted it up and it stayed on.

That's a quality PSU. Hmmm. Given you've tried both PSU's with same results, it really narrows it down to CPU/mobo as you've said. With practically every other component swapped out, it's one or the other (CPU/Mobo). It's prob a good idea to take CPU out (I know that's a pain in the arse - because you will prob have to re-paste CPU) and check for any bent pins. If there is nothing appreciably damaged, I'd just go and RMA that mobo.

After everything you've tried, they are the last two things to look at. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, or help get to the route cause. Often troubleshooting hardware can be expensive and/or frustrating. The other option, that may be less expensive, but still cost maybe €£$20-30 could be to bring to repair shop. I've a local shop that will diagnose for a small fee, whether it means swapping out a PSU, or CPU/RAM and changing out a mobo. They are very good. Then they will get quality replacements and charge very little by way of margin. You could get them to swap either/both mobo and CPU and hopefully you can go from there.

Alternatively, just RMA the parts remaining since you've only built it 4 months ago.

Solution
Feb 6, 2021
Hello,
Been having the same issue have you found anything that has worked for you been racking my brain about this for 3 months now, I only normally get it when playing rust but god knows what the issue is.

Demoniacs

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Change advance power settings > USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting > Disable

This may be an old thread but the HID compliant driver error is gone for more than 1 month now for me. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead