Pc Randomly Shutting Down

Matt Mader

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hey,

I have recently had issues with my pc crashing pretty randomly. :( I'll leave it on just sitting on the lock screen, or just watch some YouTube videos and it crashes. The only time this happens consistantly is when I play LoL.

When it shuts down the monitor no longer receives signal. All the case fans and the PSU fan are off, and the power button doesn't work. The CPU and GPU fans as well as the front panel led strip are still running. To get the PC to reboot I have to flip the switch on the back of the PSU and wait a few seconds and turn it back on; then the power button will boot the pc up.

This leads me to believe that the PSU is the problematic component in my system, however I do not have another to test it with, and would like some sort of verification before I purchase a new one.

Specs:

■ CPU: i5 6500
■ GPU: Zotac GTX 770 2GB
■ MoBo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4
■ RAM: 12GB (3x4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport (Had 16GB tested with MeMtest and one was dead)
■ CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
■ HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
■ Case: Phanteks Eclipse
■ PSU: Cosair CX600M

[EDIT]: I forgot to put the PSU model in the original post...on a question about my PSU. #smart

Matt Mader

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

Do you know of any way to test it without a new PSU? I don't have any to test with, nor do I know anyone who has one to lend me...:(

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished

Unfortunately this is the "Achilles Heel" of DIY PC repair: the only way to know if something is bad is to try replacing it with something that you know works. You can maybe buy a PSU tester from Amazon or something but I have no idea what they cost.