Question PC randomly turned off and on

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Right now I was playing doom eternal and my PC all of sudden turned off and immediately on.It wasnt restart,all my fans stopped and rgb went out,which usually stay on when I am restarting pc.
Like PC went out of power and got it back but how did it start again then?
This has never happened before to me in any situation before.First I thought it could be power supply but then,I played much heavier games with no issues,same can be said for GPU or CPU.
I always maintain good temperatures.Now this could be some random thing,nothing to worry about,but I am worried because if its PSU,that can lead to possible malfunction of other components right?
Even if its like just one component,thats big problem cause i cant afford another one right now.I will keep these post updated if anything happen again.Going to try Doom again now.
PC Specs
i5 7500
msi gtx 1660
hyperx 16gb 2400mhz
asus b250g
chieftec eco 500
Want to mention that I have PSU for 2-3 years,and as I read it on internet,chieftec is very reliable and 500w is enough for my system

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the PSU is beginning to fail.

This PSU?

https://www.chieftec.eu/products-detail/118/ECO_SERIES/120/GPE-500S

Most products, including PSUs, have a designed in EOL (End of Life).

So no matter what you do the product will eventually falter and fail.

And 2 -3 years is a likely limit.....

Especially if the PSU is heavily used for gaming, video editing, bit-mining, etc..

On your PC look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Increasing number of errors and varying errors is a strong indication of a failing/faltering PSU.

= == =

You may be able to recover to some extent.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Determine if system performance improves.

In the meantime be sure to back up all important data at least 2 X and ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: markobogdanovic476

markobogdanovic476

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019

This PSU?

Especially if the PSU is heavily used for gaming, video editing, bit-mining, etc..

On your PC look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Increasing number of errors and varying errors is a strong indication of a failing/faltering PSU.

= == =

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

In the meantime be sure to back up all important data at least 2 X and ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.
Thank you for your response.
Yes,Its that PSU.I also read that PSUs should typically last about 5+ yrs if not stressed to much.
On PSU calculator it said that I use around 323watts so its not that stressful to 500w.
Now I looked in R.History and E. Viewer and it says:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/9/2021 10:39:13 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Astrix
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
And there are not that many issues as you mentioned.
After that incident I overclocked GPU even more and run like 5-6 stress test and everything was fine (I even gained 2-3 fps lol).
Also I clean my PC way often then I should,and everything is connected just fine.
I am really wondering what this could be.

Ralston18

Titan
Going back a step then.

This:

"my PC all of sudden turned off and immediately on "

Take a look at the power path to the PC. Wall outlet, surge protectors/power bars/strips, UPS's, extension cords, etc..

Anything in the power path that could have a loose connection causing a power loss or otherwise malfunctioning with the same end effect.

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021

This PSU?

= == =

My old pc still have an old psu (cooler master extreme power 650w) that is loud and it has the same thing when launching games so am getting a new adata xpg psu

OKOKGaming

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
Going back a step then.

This:

"my PC all of sudden turned off and immediately on "

Take a look at the power path to the PC. Wall outlet, surge protectors/power bars/strips, UPS's, extension cords, etc..

Anything in the power path that could have a loose connection causing a power loss or otherwise malfunctioning with the same end effect.
my psu is tightned before but the problem persists.