PC rebooting randomly whilst gaming.

Nov 25, 2018
Hi so Ive had an issue with my PC recently and the problem is that it keeps shutting down and rebooting when I'm playing games.

The screen goes black, the PC switches off completely and the system reboots. There are no error messages.

I've installed new drivers on everything that i could to try and resolve the issue but it's been no use.

Ive downloaded CAM to have a look at my temps and the highest I've seen the GPU running at is between 60-70° but usually sits around 40-55. Seen an error message in windows notifications from CAM saying GPU has exceeded temps of 81° but im pretty sure that's just a spike.

CPU temps are nothing to write home about either, pretty standard.

I've cleaned the PC out and managed to get allot of dust out so its clean and I've ran the system with the case pannel off on the side also, so i don't think it's an overheating issue.

Usually the crash occurs when I load heroes of the storm and it makes it all the way through character selection and loads screens but as soon as the game actually loads i load into the game for 1 second and then the system shuts down and reboots.

The same has also happened when I've played WoW and the system just reboots randomly at any point and also in fortnite at any point.

Would appreciate it you guys could point me in the direction of a fix, thanks.

Nov 25, 2018
Refresh
Desktop PC
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE INTEL Z170 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4
RAM slots, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Dual Channel Memory [+20] (HyperX
Fury w/Heat Spreader)
GPU: Nvidia geforce GTX980 4GB
HDD: 240 GB Kingston UV300 Series SATA-III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
[+10] (Single Drive)
PSU make and age: 00 Watts Power Supplies [+25] (Cooler Master 600 Watts
B600 B2 Gaming Power Supply, 80+)

All components around around 1.5 old

Random shutdowns are usually caused by bad RAM or a faulty PSU.
What I would do first is reseat the RAM sticks and see if that makes a difference.
Then, if not, remove 2 of your RAM sticks and see if that makes a difference.
If not, then substitute the other 2 RAM sticks and try again.
If no change then download and run Memtest86.

Come back when you have an update.

Nov 25, 2018
Hi thanks for the replies guys. So I've tried using different slots on the board and switched the RAM around and used 1 ram at a time and the problems still exist. I had a feeling it could be my CPU so I dropped the power consumption within windows settings to 70% on my i5 and the problems still exist. CPU temp is around 30 and GPU is hovering around somewhere between 40 in idle and 40 - 50 within games.

edit
Also dunno if it was a good call or not but i went into the BIOS and upped the fan speeds just to make sure it wasn't an overheating issue. Sitting here monitoring the temps now and it's running at 26 on the cpu and 34 on the gpu so i'm confident it wasnt that causing the problems.

Also when i load the PC the mouse icon doesnt seem to display for upwards of 15seconds now, dunno if this is relevant but thought i'd mention it anyways.

Starting to think this could be a PSU issue now

The only way you can tell if the PSU is the source of the problem is to replace it with another one.