Question PC reboots frequently ?

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Yesterday my PC rebooted every 2-3 minutes. I blame the memory chips. Because if I don't get them off the slots and put them in again, the PC doesn't boot up (CPU fan running, no display signal, no usb inputs) unless I try to put the chips out and in and blow on them for about 10 times. The thing is that the chips pass the windows memory test perfectly, with no errors or turning off. What do I do? It's very annoying. Also from time to time one of my USB devices stops working until I plug it out and in again, if that's related to the issue.

Win 10
Ryzen 3600 tuner overclocked
GTX 1080
2x8Gb D.O.C.P 3000 Mhz Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Asus Prime B350 Plus
Corsair CX 650W
Sandisk Ultra II 240 GB SSD
XPG Gammix S11 Pro SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA100 HDD

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyaliq
Yesterday my PC rebooted every 2-3 minutes. I blame the memory chips. Because if I get them off the socket and put them in again, PC doesn't boot up (CPU fan running, no display signal, no usb inputs) unless I try to put the chips out and in and blow on them for about 10 times. The thing is that the chips pass the windows memory test perfectly, with no errors or turning off. What do I do? It's very annoying. Also from time to time one of my USB devices stops working until I plug it out and in again, if that's related to the issue
Win 10, Ryzen 3600 tuner overclocked, GTX 1080, 2x8Gb D.O.C.P 3000 Mhz Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
May we have your full pc specs?

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Have you tried backing off the overclock and doing a bios update?
Well, I did try turning off the overclock but the thing is that these reboots are very inconsistent. Yesterday they happened throughout all the evening every 2-3 minutes but today everything's fine. I haven't changed a thing except taking the memory chips out and putting them in. I didn't try to update BIOS but it may be the latest version.

artk2219

Distinguished
Well, I did try turninf off the overclock but the thing is that these reboots are very inconsistent. Yesterday they happened throughout all the evening every 2-3 minutes but today everything's fine. I haven't changed a thing except taking the memory chips out and putting them in.

Honestly it could have been just that, one of the ram sticks was seated badly, or as g-unit1111 stated it could be a psu issue, if you haven't pushed it hard since you've reseated the ram its something you could try to see if it remains stable.

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Honestly it could have been just that, one of the ram sticks was seated badly, or as g-unit1111 stated it could be a psu issue, if you haven't pushed it hard since you've reseated the ram its something you could try to see if it remains stable.
It just rebooted itself again. I'm just browsing the web. But I did play games some hours ago for a couple of hours and everything was fine. About how stable the RAM sticks are placed - I've put them out and in so many times that I'm sure I can't be placing them half-stable. Also if I get them out now there will be a period of time when my PC doesn't boot up and has only a fan running until I put them out and in enough times for the PC to somehow work.

artk2219

Distinguished
How can I make sure the PSU is/is not the case? Run more some system stable tests?

Pretty much, furmark and prime95 are good at pushing the gpu and cpu to its max, some people let folding@home run for a while, another question is have you checked your temps? A badly seated cpu cooler can cause a cpu to overheat and crash pretty quickly.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

g-unit1111

Titan
The PSU might be bad? But it's 650w and has bronze certificate? The system also doesn't consistently turn off during the gaming sessions or rendering. How can I check it further?

That's not really an indicator of PSU quality though. I've seen tons of units that are absolute garbage that are rated gold / silver / bronze. Corsair makes some great PSUs (I have been using them in several builds lately) but they also make some really terrible ones at that. The only way you could check that is if you have another (better) PSU to hook up to your system to test it with.

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Pretty much, furmark and prime95 are good at pushing the gpu and cpu to its max, some people let folding@home run for a while, another question is have you checked your temps? A badly seated cpu cooler can cause a cpu to overheat and crash pretty quickly.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Ran some quick 10 mins furmark tests for CPU and GPU. CPU goes up to 54 °C . GPU goes up to 74 °C with the clock speed dropping to ~1755 Mhz from 1822 Mhz at the beginning of the test (didn't do any overclocking). No PC reboots

artk2219

Distinguished
Ran some quick 10 mins furmark tests for CPU and GPU. CPU goes up to 54 °C . GPU goes up to 74 °C with the clock speed dropping to ~1755 Mhz from 1822 Mhz at the beginning of the test (didn't do any overclocking). No PC reboots

Furmark doesnt really push the cpu, to push both you should use prime95 and furmark, and 10 minutes is just a warm up, you should ideally leave it running for several hours

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Furmark doesnt really push the cpu, to push both you should use prime95 and furmark, and 10 minutes is just a warm up, you should ideally leave it running for several hours
The system didn't reboot under stress though. Doesn't it mean that the temperatures are not the case? 20 mins later though when I was just browsing the web it tried to reboot but after showing me the ASUS logo the USBs, fan RGB and monitor turned off with the CPU fan still running. It took me several attempts of rebooting for it to reboot correctly. I feel like if I leave a stress test for a couple of hours and the PC turns off it still wouldn't tell me that this individual PC part is to blame because the PC just reboots itself randomly even with no real stress

Last edited:

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Maybe I have found a solution - put the PC horizontally. :/ It is just an assumption as not enough time has passed but it's been almost half a day with no constant reboots. Are my memory sticks really holding to the motherboard so badly?.. I do feel like the motherboard curves back when I apply force to put one of the chips into its slot so maybe that's the issue?.. Should I try to uhh duct tape them and see how it goes?..

The D.O.C.P. profile is not to blame as the reboots happen with it turned off, as well as with no CPU overclock. The temperatures of both GPU and CPU are good under short 10 min furmarks stress tests with no immediate reboots, the memory chips pass the windows stress test successfully.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
Maybe I have found a solution - put the PC horizontally. :/ It is just an assumption as not enough time has passed but it's been almost half a day with no constant reboots. Are my memory sticks really holding to the motherboard so badly?.. I do feel like the motherboard curves back when I apply force to put one of the chips into its socket so maybe that's the issue?.. Should I try to uhh duct tape them and see how it goes?..

The D.O.C.P. profile is not to blame as the reboots happen with it turned off, as well as with no CPU overclock. The temperatures of both GPU and CPU are good under short 10 min furmarks stress tests with no immediate reboots, the memory chips pass the windows stress test successfully.

Is it still stable, have you looked to see if there is an available bios update? Turning the pc on its side shouldnt make a difference, i mean the sticks are securely held in there right?

LighterST

Reputable
Feb 13, 2017
Is it still stable, have you looked to see if there is an available bios update? Turning the pc on its side shouldnt make a difference, i mean the sticks are securely held in there right?
The PC is now stable on its side, miraculously. There are no reboots at all. There is a new bios update for compatibility with Win 11, and I haven't installed it yet. The sticks are held as securely as possible, I think. Honestly, I'm pretty scared to return the PC to its conventional vertical position, haha.

Could I have somehow damaged the DRAM slots or something? I'm not sure how to test it. Except trying to duct tape the sticks to the slots, I have no idea.

A similar problem happened to me a year ago, and I placed the case on its side while putting the sticks back and forth when the PC fixed itself. Then everything worked semi-normal with occasional errors when booting up for about a year.

Last edited: