Question PC reboots randomly in game

Sep 29, 2022
Hello!

Here is my problem :

.Symptoms : the PC reboots only in game

-It’s always a hard reboot (without BSOD), without an error message before nor after the reboot. I have this problem since i built the PC, around march 2021

-The frequency of the reboots seems different on every game : in worst cases, it can be 6/7 reboots within 20 hours of gameplay, while in other games, i had only one reboot within 100 hours. Moreover, it’s possible to suffer from 3 reboots during the first 10 hours of gameplay, than not a single one for the 10 hours after. The problem doesn’t seems to be more common with the most taxing games (i had more reboots with Gloomhaven rather than with Cyberpunk 2077…).

-Reboots can happened between 5 min and 2 hours of gaming

-The problem seems vaguely cyclic : it’s possible to not have a single reboot for one or two weeks, then suddenly to have one every two days.

System :

CPU : AMD 5600X

MB : ASUS Prime B550M-K

GPU : Inno3D Geforce RTX 3070

RAM : GSKILL Aegis DDR4 16go (3200mhz)

PSU : Antec Neo Eco 700W Gold, then Bequiet Purepower 80+ Gold 700W

State of the PC :

-Bios and drivers are up to date. I did some tests last year with the drivers of that time, with the same results.

-All Bios settings are unmodified, no overclocking

-The PC has been formatted last year, a few months after the issues began.

-No overheating problems

-The PC and monitors are plugged on the same system than my previous PC, which had no problems. I tried to change the power strip, without any result. I also use the same devices as before (M/K, speakers…).

-In power plan settings, minimum processor state is set to 5%, max at 100%.

-I don’t remember any lighting strike close to my apartment

Windows event logs:

For every reboot, I have a Critical Error Kernel Power, with a Cache Hierarchy Error (Machine Check exception).

Tests:

-OCCT: I did every single test for 1 hours: no reboot /error.

-Memtest86: no reboot/error

-Windows Memory Diagnostic: nothing

-CHKDSK: nothing

-WhoCrashed: no result (no valid crash dump has been found)

-Windows Defender and Malwarebytes: nothing

-Prime95: no reboot, but two errors, after 28 and 30 min (fatal error: rounding was 0,5, expect less than 0,4). No more errors after this (1 hour test). I don’t know if it’s enough to really suspect that the CPU is the culprit.

What I tried:

-Reseat everything and change the power supply cable

-I changed my PSU: no differences

-I used two diffrent PCI-E cables for my GPU

-I desactivated XMP profile

What I couldn’t try:

-Test another GPU/MB/RAM, simply because I don’t have anything else available

-Replicate the problem: I know that some games have more chances than others to cause a reboot, but it’s still possible to have a few hours without any issue

I have to admit that I don’t see any consistency with these results. At first, I thought that it was an overheat problem (it’s obviously not), then that it was a faulty PSU, but now I’m just completely lost.

If Someone has an idea to solve this problem, thanks in advance!

PS: English is not my first language, sorry for the mistakes

Sep 30, 2022
The incompatible GPU installed in your PC is also a potential point to force your computer to reboot while gaming. In current computers, the heatsink is perhaps the most significant cooling component. It keeps the CPU cool while it works and does computations.

Sep 29, 2022
Have you tried monitoring the temps of the hardware? or checking in bios the temps right after it turns off?

I tried, and temperatures doesn't seems too high (it can peak at 85°c during a stress test for both GPU and CPU).
I Just tested again the temperatures in game (The Ascend, a rather taxing game): CPU: around 60° after 45 min, GPU around 67°.

The incompatible GPU installed in your PC is also a potential point to force your computer to reboot while gaming. In current computers, the heatsink is perhaps the most significant cooling component. It keeps the CPU cool while it works and does computations.

What do you mean by "incompatible GPU"? As far as i know, the RTX 3070 is not incompatible with anything in my pc. Or i hope so...
For the CPU cooling system: i have a Cooler Master hyper 212, which seems rather efficient.

I tried, and temperatures doesn't seems too high (it can peak at 85°c during a stress test for both GPU and CPU).
I Just tested again the temperatures in game (The Ascend, a rather taxing game): CPU: around 60° after 45 min, GPU around 67°.

What do you mean by "incompatible GPU"? As far as i know, the RTX 3070 is not incompatible with anything in my pc. Or i hope so...
For the CPU cooling system: i have a Cooler Master hyper 212, which seems rather efficient.
have you updated the chipset drivers and BIOS at all? i did a little digging and found that the windows event log could be due to that.
Id try updating them again or at least reinstalling them

Sep 29, 2022
have you updated the chipset drivers and BIOS at all? i did a little digging and found that the windows event log could be due to that.
Id try updating them again or at least reinstalling them

I did this two times: the first time last year, around 4 months after the issue began, and the second time in june or july this year. Without any result.

Sep 29, 2022
Juste à quick update: After a reseating session last week (juste to be sure), everything worked fine until today. Once again, i don't understand: i'm playing a new game (injustice 2), and i had 0 issues for the first 13 hours...

Sep 29, 2022
A short update on the situation: i tried to use hwinfo on every game session until something happened. I had a reboot today, and no part was overheating. For the voltage part, i can't tell if anything is wrong, but at least everything seems relatively "stable".

...the error code could lead to a defective hardware you have any code for it .
What type of code are you writing about? A code in Windows Event logs?

I did this two times: the first time last year, around 4 months after the issue began, and the second time in june or july this year. Without any result.

So what did you do? Did you do a bios update? And did you update all your drivers, including the chipset?

This is important for many reasons.

Firstly for the chipset driver: If it is not the most recent chipset driver, then your CPU will not run at it's optimum, and can cause issues. Do not run 'High Performance' powwe profile. Do not edit the Ryzen Balanced power plan. This will not help. You must run Ryzen Balanced profile at default. You can get all the most recent drivers, including the chipset here: PRIME B550M-K|Motherboards|ASUS Global

Secondly, for the bios. What bios are you running? If it's not up to date, older bios may have bugs or issues that cause your problem. If you did update the bios, then you also need to make sure you 'clear CMOS'. If you do not clear CMOS after a bios update, there is a good chance the problems will continue. So, you must clear CMOS too.

When you have verified this, then we can rule out these as the problem.

You should also do a clean install of your GPU drivers. Use DDU to uninstall the driver and then re-install the GPU driver fresh. You can do that here: Official Drivers | NVIDIA

When you have done all of these checks, then let us know how it is going.

Also, is your PSU the Pure Power 11? What is the exact model on the label?

Sep 29, 2022
So what did you do? Did you do a bios update? And did you update all your drivers, including the chipset?
I updated everyting, BIOS, Drivers and chipset. But i didn't clear CMOS...So i will try it!

For GPU drivers: i didn't use DDU, i will try it too.

For the PSU: i don't have the Pure Power anymore, since it didn't changed anything. I have the Antec Neo Eco 700W Gold again.

there could be one from board like if a led stay lit or some have digital counter for code check user manual .

As the problem is quite quick, it's complicated to check if any led stay lit.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
open side of case and see if it goes to boot directly this will means system boot but something cutting off power could be a defective so strip to minimal for test also use whocrashed to see if there any minidump files report in system also you did not put any info about the drive .

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022
Allright, last month, i did clear CMOS, and used DDU to uninstall GPU drivers. Everything was fine (no reboot), until this morning...So i guess it wasn't that.

open side of case and see if it goes to boot directly this willl mrans system boot but something cutting off powercould be a defective so strip to minimal for test also use whocrashed to see if there any minidump files report in system also you did not put any info about the drive .

I tried to use whocrashed several times, but each time i only have a message like this "no valid crash dumps have been found".
Considering the drive: i have a SSD with the OS on it (PSY CS3030 Nvme), and a Seagate Barracuda 1to.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
then this could lead to a falling part does you os is on the ssd and up to date also what happens if you remove the hdd and use there maker software to test each of them also if you could post a picture of the hwinfo page for sensor would like to check all values there .

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022
then this could lead to a falling part does you os is on the ssd and up to date also whathappens if you remove the hdd and use there maker software to test each of them also if you could post a picture of the hwinfo page for sensor would like to check all values there .

I didn't find a software from PNY to test the CS3030 nvme, but i found one from Seagate, so i tested both the SSd and the HDD with it. No issues with both of them.

For hw info page:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmec12efzf81e03/Capture 1.PNG?dl=0

Sep 29, 2022
all temps are good see this for pny nmve https://www.pny.com/company/support/solid-state-drives since it is m-atx could it be that the board overheart on a part and cut let see if someone have a clue ,

.PNY Toolbox: no problems, and i updated the firmware.
.I just had 2 other crashes in less than 10 min, both of them in the game Gloomhaven. That's quite interesting, because it's the only game where this specific type of crash in very quick succession happens. Basically, i crashed after 1H30, then less then 10min after that, i had another crash.

I checked HW info just after the second crash, and here are the logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/19je5ejida3b42b/Capture Gloomhaven 1.PNG?dl=0

That's still super weird and unpredictable: i had 5 crashes since october: the 3rd of october, 27 october, 11 november and 27 november, in 4 different games. During this period, i also played Shadow of War during more than 50 hours, without any crash...
After more than 1 year of problems, the only recuring thing is that among all he games play, gloomhaven seems to be the one that crashes the most, with the weird habbit of crahing two times in a row.

Sep 29, 2022
i did compare the vcore in my system and it always show same values your is going up and down not stable check is value in bios and check if it is on auto i also would use occt to stress test psu under load .

I just checked CPU voltage: it's on auto. The value is 1.344V.
I used every stress test of OCCT several times, without any issue. Moreover, i tried 2 different PSU, with the same results.