Question PC Reboots under heavy load/Gaming

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
So, its pretty strange, every single time i launch a game thats not League of Legends, screen goes black, fans speed up to 100% and it resets, like if i pressed the reset button. Its driving me insane because i cant do pretty much anything outside of playing League.

PC specs:

PSU Thermaltake 850W Bronze
CPU AMD FX-9590
16 Gigs of Ram
Cant remember mobo
GPU AMD R9 Fury

I built this pc in 2014 mind you.

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
Let's start by replacing that with a quality unit. Choose from Tier B or above. For the few bucks more go with Tier A and get a nice one.

It won't let me copy/paste the link. Search these forums for "PSU Tier list".

Dang, IS It really so bad? I was wondering if It was PSU related because It kept rebooting even after i changed It to not reboot on failure.

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
If it gets too high I think it will shutdown.

In any case it won't hurt to monitor temps and see what things are doing.

I did check but nothing IS out of norm. Im getting this issue with the pc being cold/ havent used un a full day. I noticed It reboots even under non gaming, for ex i have a <Mod Edit> ton ofnstuff open and It Will sometimes reboot too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok, there are quite a few things not particularly great with this build, but there are tests you can run before you start swapping components.

The 9590 is notoriously hot (it's an overclocked, overclocked chip). In addition, many motherboards, despite compatibility, could not hold up. Add 8+ years to the equation, and power delivery may have degraded etc.

The PSU is not fantastic, and same comments re: 8+ years use.

Unlikely the board has VRM temperature logging or anything... but you could downclock CPU initially, lessen voltage & power draw. See if the issue persists.
IF it doesn't, then it's likely the board.
If it does.... then downclock the GPU to lessen it's power draw. See what happens then.

Either way, I would suggest having at least one eye on an entire system upgrade (maybe sans GPU),sooner than later/

I did check but nothing IS out of norm. Im getting this issue with the pc being cold/ havent used un a full day. I noticed It reboots even under non gaming, for ex i have a <Mod Edit> ton ofnstuff open and It Will sometimes reboot too.
Just picking around the edges.
Get a can of air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heatsinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget to give the psu a few shots of air from both directions.
You might want to give all the cables a reseat.

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
Ok, there are quite a few things not particularly great with this build, but there are tests you can run before you start swapping components.

The 9590 is notoriously hot (it's an overclocked, overclocked chip). In addition, many motherboards, despite compatibility, could not hold up. Add 8+ years to the equation, and power delivery may have degraded etc.

Unlikely the board has VRM temperature logging or anything... but you could downclock CPU initially, lessen voltage & power draw. See if the issue persists.
If it does.... then downclock the GPU to lessen it's power draw. See what happens then.

Either way, I would suggest having at least one eye on an entire system upgrade (maybe sans GPU),sooner than later/

Ive been meaning to upgrade it for a long time, a lot of stuff happened in the middle (Bought a house, had to remodel it, became a dad) + the economy in my country makes it extremely hard to upgrade. i did save a few things tho that i plan on getting:

Ryzen 5 5600X
MOBO Asus TUF 570X
Phanteks P400A
Gigabyte GP-P850
G Skill Ripjaws V

Reactions: drivinfast247

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022

Im kinda dum in some aspects so sorry to ask, but how do i downclock CPU and lessen voltage+power draw

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022

Downclocked and downvolted twice. Still hard resets at the launch of any game

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That PSU is probably the cause.

How fast does the restart occur when you launch the game? If it takes a while can be heat-related. If it happens pretty much as you launch the game and card starts to suck juice of the PSU it's more likely to be the PSU.

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
That PSU is probably the cause.

How fast does the restart occur when you launch the game? If it takes a while can be heat-related. If it happens pretty much as you launch the game and card starts to suck juice of the PSU it's more likely to be the PSU.

As soon as i load into the game, sometimes even while loading, i dont get to see a single frame

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As soon as i load into the game, sometimes even while loading, i dont get to see a single frame

Befure the game loads and the CPU starts preparing work for GPU the GPU won't draw as much power as it would during the game run. This actually might point toward heat as the CPU is workig hard to launch/run the game.

You didn't mention the answer to this question:
Ohhhh... what are you using to monitor temps? The only app the accurately works with FX CPUs is AMD Overdrive.

Halkkirgamed

Prominent
Feb 9, 2022
Ohhhh... what are you using to monitor temps? The only app the accurately works with FX CPUs is AMD Overdrive.

Im using Core Temp, CPUID ROG CPU Z and GPU Z

The reboots happen on a cold cold system too. Freshly booted with AC turned on on the room, still dies at launch. Literally only game i can play is LoL and i dont even know why