[SOLVED] PC reboots when trying to install Nvidia Driver with RTX 3080

darge82

Reputable
Jan 27, 2019
I have had my 3080 for about 2 weeks now and it has been working well and driver installation was fine initially. I am having some odd VR stutters which I am trying to diagnose and I am trying to install a new driver. Everytime I go to initiate the install. Once I hit continue. It reboots the PC then the PC goes back to windows with the original driver and everything works as it was.

I have tried this with older drivers, the current driver and newer drivers. I have also tried this with a clean driver install and upgrade driver option. It does not matter what I select, as soon as it starts the driver install the PC reboots.

Solution
SOLVED!

I unplugged my 2 side monitors and changed resolution to 2560x1440 for the one monitor and the update went through with no issue. Very very odd as I have done updates with my triples hooked up previously.

gewl

Reputable
May 3, 2018
I've been having the same problem with an RTX 3070—I haven't noticed any hitches during normal functioning, but I also haven't used it in VR. What specs do you have? Mine are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
MB: B550-A PRO (MS-7C56)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W 80+ Gold
GPU: RTX 3070
RAM: 4x8gb DDR4 (2x OLOy 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 3000, 2x GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 2400)

I don't have a solution for you—I wish I did!—but I think I'm a little further down the same road, so I can maybe still be helpful. I had this problem for the first time ~2 weeks ago—after a day of trying different things, my first reseat attempt seemed to fix the problem. The problem came back again 2 days ago, spent another day trying different things, then yesterday morning I tried a power drain first thing (power computer off, unplug, hold power button for 2 minutes), and was able to immediately boot and install drivers no problem right afterward. Last night when I shut my computer down, I got the bad boot/prompt to repair again, and power draining does not fix it this time.

Here are things I have tried that have not had any noticeable effect:
  • Updating BIOS.
  • Reinstalling Windows.
  • Using old NVIDIA drivers (can only go back to 457, get an 'incompatible Windows version' error otherwise).
  • Rolling back Windows feature/quality updates.
  • Replacing my new PSU with my old PSU (had installed a new PSU 5 days before this happened for the first time).
  • System restoring to old checkpoint.
  • Reinstalling chipset drivers.
  • Changing PCIe slot to use Gen3 in BIOS.
I think the above list—plus reseating the GPU + power draining—are all the things I've come across to try in, now, days of looking through old forum posts, talking to NVIDIA support, etc. They didn't work for me, but you should try them.

Actually, just as I was typing this, I successfully installed drivers through a new method: I'd been using a DisplayPort -> miniDP cable to connect my GPU to my monitor for every previous attempt. I just switched to an HDMI cable and was able to install my drivers first try. No idea if there's a relationship here, no idea if I'll crash again in 10 minutes, but thought that might be worth sharing if you're using DP.

darge82

Reputable
Jan 27, 2019
I appreciate the advice let me give you some background.

I built this new PC around Black Friday.

Specs are
10700k@5.1
EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
32 GB G.skill Trident 3600
Inland 2TB M2 NVME SSD
EVGA 850w Gold Powersupply
MSI Z490 Tomahawk.

I originally built the PC with no GPU as I was waiting to get a 30XX card. I had an issue with the newest BIOS for this MOBO it would lock up in BIOS after 30 secs. I reverted to 1 version back and all has been fine.

I OCd the CPU to 5.1 while I waited for my GPU to show up. Everything working great.

Got my hands on a 3070. Installed that and drivers installed fine.
1 week later was able to get a 3080. Removed the 3070 and did a clean install of drivers for the 3080. All has been working great since.

To be clear. My PC runs fine, it never crashes. It always boots up fine. I can game for hours with no issue.

I recently switched from a Reverb G1 to a G2. I noticed some microstutters. I have been diagnosising it and I know its not a graphical issue as this happens even with low frame timing. I think it is USB related as I had a similar issue with an Oculus headset on my old PC. The MOBO wasnt supplying enough power to the USB when in VR and it induces microstutters, I installed a PCIe USB card on that PC and it fixed it. Similar thing is happening with the new PC, I have a PCIe card on order but ruling other issues out and one was the driver.

Now when I go to install the Nvidia driver (downloaded directly from Nvidia as I always do) The driver install software comes up. I can select "Recommended or Custom" I can select clean install or not. It does not matter. As soon as I click continue to install the driver , the install window pops up, I get a loading bar and the PC resets. This will happen for ANY compatible version driver I try, even the one currently installed.

I do run triple 1440p monitors. 2 off DP and 1 HDMI( no adapters). I have never had an issue. But I will try running just one to test. I unplugged the VR headset just to test to see if drivers will install then and it still doesnt.

So to be clear. Everything operates and boots as normal. I never get BSOD or reboots doing anything other than trying to install the graphic driver. I do not think its a GPU being seated incorrectly or PSU issue as gaming, stress testing etc all function fine.

The ONLY thing I have done recently was a Windows update in preparation for my new headset. I have not touched Nvidia drivers since initial install the day I put in the 3080, so I am unsure from those few weeks until now what else has changed.

I hope this all makes sense

gewl

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Interesting. The situation that I'm encountering seems very similar to yours, with the exception that after failing to install drivers I have to enter Safe Mode and DDU to uninstall my drivers before I can boot back into normal mode (with Windows Basic Display Drivers). Otherwise it's exactly the same—install window pops up, PC resets partway through loading bar, zero problems with gaming or stress testing otherwise, no crashes, temperatures great, nothing that I can see to indicate that the GPU is failing except for this driver issue. Doesn't matter what my install settings are, doesn't matter which driver I'm installing.

It seems as though a lot of people on NVIDIA's support forums are having similar difficulties, so it's at least a somewhat widespread issue. I'll let you know if I find anything else, hope someone here can shed some light on this!

Reactions: darge82

darge82

Reputable
Jan 27, 2019
Sounds like both of ours are similar except I can go back into windows with no issues.

I just tried rolling back windows update and the same thing happens.

When it crashes the driver install screen as at the "preparing to install" in the loading bar. So it never gets to actually install the driver then it reboots.

darge82

Reputable
Jan 27, 2019
SOLVED!

I unplugged my 2 side monitors and changed resolution to 2560x1440 for the one monitor and the update went through with no issue. Very very odd as I have done updates with my triples hooked up previously.

Reactions: gewl
Solution