Question PC Reboots With No BSOD When Installing Anything

Apr 28, 2024
I just upgraded my CPU from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the old cpu i had to update the bios and it goes smoothly, the pc boots fine and i can play games on it. the trouble comes when i tried to install games on steam and the problem persist everytime i tried to install any other software, the pc reboots itself with no BSOD and the only thing i found in event viewer is error code 41.

i tried to reset the cmos and the pc worked fine for about 3 hours and then the problem came back, i thought that maybe its the windows so i tried to format my ssd and do a clean reinstall of windows from a thumb drive. but still the problem persist either the pc reboots during copying file or the pc just freezes.

if you think its the ssd, its not because i tried to reinstall on other drive and the problem still persist. im thinking its the motherboard thats causing all this problem after i updated the bios, or maybe its the cpu. does anybody else have the same problem?

im currently running this rig :
MSI B450M Pro M2 Max
AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Colorful GTX 1660 Super
2x8GB Geil Evo Potenza
Antec VP 500W
SSD Kingston M.2 NVME 1TB
SSD Kingston 128GB
HDD WD Blue 1TB

Solution
I have tried resetting the CMOS and the pc works for about 3 hours and the problems came back, the PSU is about 3 years old same with the other components except the new processor, for the cooling im using the wraith cooling that came within the box of the new processor
I changed my motherboard and the issue is fixed. I still don’t know why my old motherboard broke, either the BIOS is corrupted during the update or the CPU socket broke after the CPU replacement.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After you'd verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, did you clear the CMOS? Do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the board, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

As for your build, how old is the PSU? How are you cooling the processor post upgrade?

Apr 28, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After you'd verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, did you clear the CMOS? Do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery from the board, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

As for your build, how old is the PSU? How are you cooling the processor post upgrade?
I have tried resetting the CMOS and the pc works for about 3 hours and the problems came back, the PSU is about 3 years old same with the other components except the new processor, for the cooling im using the wraith cooling that came within the box of the new processor

Apr 28, 2024
I changed my motherboard and the issue is fixed. I still don’t know why my old motherboard broke, either the BIOS is corrupted during the update or the CPU socket broke after the CPU replacement.

Solution