[SOLVED] PC recently broke, building new rig and unsure how to re install windows and find my activation key

Feb 26, 2021
My old trusty PC (first built in 2013 and partially upgraded since) recently died so I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a new CPU + Mobo + RAM etc, I need to install windows on this new build once finished but my current version of windows is inaccessible and I don’t know my product key (originally a windows 7 oem I believe) is there any way I can still access my windows license without fixing and booting the old PC? I’m upgrading from an AM3+ chipset to AM4.

Solution
Trying to use the old drive+OS in a new system, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3.
Win 10 is better than previous versions, but by no means 100% "Yes! It always works"

Increasingly, #3 is the end result. A person will report initial success "HA! You guys were wrong!"
Then, a week or so later..."hmm...maybe you were right."

A fresh install is always recommended, often required.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Technically, if it's an OEM key it isn't transferrable. Microsoft has chosen to be VERY relaxed about this aspect as I think they want people on Windows 10 more than they care about licensing. I have used the Win 7 key (even recently) to activate Win 10 installs, but if you don't have it that could be issue. I am not sure if being "signed in" would work to activate or not. IE using the tie to your Microsoft account.

Reactions: JakMacCS

USAFRet

Titan
My old trusty PC (first built in 2013 and partially upgraded since) recently died so I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a new CPU + Mobo + RAM etc, I need to install windows on this new build once finished but my current version of windows is inaccessible and I don’t know my product key (originally a windows 7 oem I believe) is there any way I can still access my windows license without fixing and booting the old PC? I’m upgrading from an AM3+ chipset to AM4.
Was this a Win 7 and then upgraded to Win 10?

Was your license key linked to your MS account?

Reactions: JakMacCS
Feb 26, 2021
Was this a Win 7 and then upgraded to Win 10?

Was your license key linked to your MS account?
I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 yes, years ago now, and I am not sure sorry, the upgrade and original install all took place under the same user and I assume by the time of the upgrade that would include my MS account but I’m a noob and have no clue sorry, really appreciate the speedy response!

USAFRet

Titan
I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 yes, years ago now, and I am not sure sorry, the upgrade and original install all took place under the same user and I assume by the time of the upgrade that would include my MS account but I’m a noob and have no clue sorry, really appreciate the speedy response!
Go to MS, log in, and look in "Devices".
Is your old system listed in there?

Feb 26, 2021
"not knowing" is not "ignorance".

We ALL have to ask questions once in a while...;)
I suppose so yes! On that note hehehe, what chance do you think I have of being able to boot from my existing C drive? I’ve read a few things that say Windows 10’s hardware detection is pretty good however most Of those threads recommend disabling graphics drivers and changing a few windows boot settings beforehand However I won’t be able to do so without fixing the old rig (as you can probably tell I’m very eager to just get the new rig going ASAP ahaha)

USAFRet

Titan
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

I've seen all 3.
Win 10 is better than previous versions, but by no means 100% "Yes! It always works"

Increasingly, #3 is the end result. A person will report initial success "HA! You guys were wrong!"

Solution
Feb 26, 2021
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
I've seen all 3.

I intend to do a fresh install as soon as I’m activated, as a fresh install and new components is absolutely the best way to go always as you said, all I’m after is actually making it in to windows because I have no disk or windows boot on USB and I don’t know how I’d be able to get one by tomorrow when the parts arrive. For now will just have to pray she boots and if not I shall probably be pestering you in this thread tomorrow when I’ve assembled the rig ;)

USAFRet

Titan
I intend to do a fresh install as soon as I’m activated, as a fresh install and new components is absolutely the best way to go always as you said, all I’m after is actually making it in to windows because I have no disk or windows boot on USB and I don’t know how I’d be able to get one by tomorrow when the parts arrive. For now will just have to pray she boots and if not I shall probably be pestering you in this thread tomorrow when I’ve assembled the rig ;)
Install first, then activation.

Feb 26, 2021
Install first, then activation.

Ah okay I see, thank you so much for this!