PC Reqs, Graphics Features Revealed For 'Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus'

Status
Not open for further replies.

termathor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2015
The really amazing thing is the use of Vulkan as *primary* API.
This is golden, the decline of MS monopoly on video gaming, and the rise of real alternatives to Windows.

Will definitely buy it.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"The really amazing thing is the use of Vulkan as *primary* API.
This is golden, the decline of MS monopoly on video gaming, and the rise of real alternatives to Windows."

I have no real animosity towards MS, but Vulkan really should be the API of choice, agreed. Would love to see some highly optimized ports for Linux and the like.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"RIP i7-2600"

I know your comment was made in jest, but there was very little difference between my 2600K and 3700K in games, so its probably fine.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
*hits down vote with fat thumb on accident. Can't undo vote.*

That said I'm looking forwards to the ham (dialogue) being extra salty like the previews hinted at.

AS118

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

That's what I'm saying! Those 2 cards are roughly equivalent.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
RIP i7-2600

Sure buddy, sure. I've yet to play game with my 2600k rig where I see it spike over 60%. I've conservatively kept it at 4.2 and know of people that easily pushed 4.5+

Like most games, I expect this to be more GPU bound than CPU. We'll see but if the engine is similar to Doom then I expect good things. Vulkan-Doom runs great on my rigs.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Sounds like your GPU isn't strong enough to push your CPU hard. With that being said yeah your OC'd 2600K should be fine, and the min vs recommended requirements don't make a ton of sense.

0InVader0

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I think the deciding factor for the minimum GPU was the VRAM. I remember Doom needed more than 2GB VRAM for Vulkan too. Time to replace my GTX760 :(

kuhndj67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
The other odd thing about req's is that the i5's are generally as fast gaming as i7's at the same clock. (my i5-3570k generally matches the 3770 within a few percent). I'm really interested to see the benchmarks of the game to see if the i5 really is not capable. It would indicate that games have finally really started leveraging advancing processor tech (like multiple cores) where the i7 does have an advantage.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Isn't there any way I could install and run, even on lowered settings, this game with my Intel i7-950(overclocked to 4.0Ghz with a Zalman CNPS 10x Extreme CPU Cooler),12GB's of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM and a GTX 970 with plenty of Storage space? I realize my CPU is older but it runs steady at 4Ghz without any overheating(max temp while gaming only reaches 74c). Any responses would be kind. Thank you.

artk2219

Distinguished

You could try it, and unless it absolutely requires any new instructions from one of the newer architectures I dont see why it wouldnt work, it may just hang up a bit more form time to time. But your cpu at 4Ghz should be roughly like an I7 2600k, which is only marginally slower than the minimum 3770k. You could also see if you could hit 4.2 or so, or just swap it out for a 6 core xeon and overclock that to around where your current chip is.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/TYPE-Xeon%203600.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/TYPE-Xeon%205600.html

Giroro

Splendid
I have a Harswell i5-4670K @4GHz (iirc) and I just checked what it would cost to drop in a i7-4770k.

Apparently i7-4770ks cost $400 on newegg. Why is a 4 year old CPU so expensive?

dstarr3

Distinguished

Instructions per clock. There's more to a CPU's performance than just it's clock speed. Instructions per clock is basically how much it can do with every Hz. Every generation brings improvements in IPC, so even though processors have been hovering around the same 3-4gHz and core count for over a decade now, they continue to get faster.

That said, the advancement in IPC per generation in recent years has definitely slowed down. Your CPU could very well be fine. If they don't offer a demo, I suggest buying it on Steam to test and return it. So long as your playtime is under 2 hours, you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked. And fortunately, determining whether your computer is up to snuff or not should only take 10, 15 minutes, not anywhere near the 2hr limit.

There's a lot of big reasons as to why there are increasingly generous return policies on digital game storefronts now, and this is one of them. So please do take advantage of the policy, that's what it's there for.

Terry Perry

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
This Whole PC stuff is getting Crazy what are they talking 1080-2K-4 the difference is Huge. My 2 970 can only do 2K because of the 4G ram. Get a 4K you can play 1080 and it really is Amazing. I bought a 43 4K for 250 $ Korean and have thousands of hours on it. I can't go back to regular H.D. My 2500 Blows through 2K so does my 4370.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"It would indicate that games have finally really started leveraging advancing processor tech (like multiple cores) where the i7 does have an advantage."

You would think so, but then wouldnt an FX-8350 outclass any i7 up to say, a 4770 for this game? The weakness of the Bulldozer/Piledriver is that unless you have an app that can leverage all 8 of its integer cores, it gets stomped by 4 core i7s, due to the extreme disparity of the individual core performance. But when all cores get saturated, they're actually pretty competitive with their contemporary i7s.

I'm going to guess until we see some cpu stressing benchmarks of this game that it is still going to be ruled by quad core cpus with the highest per core performance. Being Vulkan, it *should* have less of a single thread overhead than a DX11 game, but I'll be shocked if say, an i7-6900K (8 core) beats a 6700K (4 core) at their default clocks.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Apparently i7-4770ks cost $400 on newegg. Why is a 4 year old CPU so expensive?"

Probably because Intel doesnt manufacture many new ones anymore, if at all.

jordoncomp

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
I believe that using Vulkin will allow it to be run on Linux natively without issues. I 'm all for that. Running windows Steam through winehq allows me to play all my old favorites like Crysis, Bioshock, Stalker Cop (all of them) HL2 and 1200 more. Enough of the DX Windows blockade as Vulkin and OGL games run excellent with Nvidia and AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.