Question PC restarting and blue screening when playing games

Dec 28, 2022
Ok so I got a new PSU (Thermaltake Tough power GX2 80+ Gold 600W) for Christmas and I swapped it in my pc. My Pc had no problems beforehand . Turned it on and It was running great and I was playing games for about an 1 hour. Then I shut down my pc and when I booted it, it wouldn't make it past the the bios. It wouldn't boot into windows and I was just getting auto recovery. I tired for about 4 hour trouble shooting and nothing worked so I reset windows. Everything was working for a bit but then the pc started crashing and restarting in the middle of playing. It would freeze in game, Black screen, and restart. I have done a lot of trouble shooting and nothings working. NOT OVER HEATING TEMPS STAY NORMAL

Ryzen 5 5600
GTX 1660 S
16 GB DDR4
GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0)
Thermaltake Tough power GX2 80+ Gold 600W

Ok so I got a new PSU (Thermaltake Tough power GX2 80+ Gold 600W) for Christmas and I swapped it in my pc. My Pc had no problems beforehand . Turned it on and It was running great and I was playing games for about an 1 hour. Then I shut down my pc and when I booted it, it wouldn't make it past the the bios. It wouldn't boot into windows and I was just getting auto recovery. I tired for about 4 hour trouble shooting and nothing worked so I reset windows. Everything was working for a bit but then the pc started crashing and restarting in the middle of playing. It would freeze in game, Black screen, and restart. I have done a lot of trouble shooting and nothings working. NOT OVER HEATING TEMPS STAY NORMAL

Ryzen 5 5600
GTX 1660 S
16 GB DDR4
GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0)
Thermaltake Tough power GX2 80+ Gold 600W
I would suspect BOOT/System disk first and any other associated with games, like when they are installed on it or backed up to.

Dec 28, 2022
What make and model was your previous PSU?

Just because this Tt unit is new, doesn't mean it is good. It is actually low quality PSU and essentially waste of money.

Here, put your old PSU back in, and look if your issues go away. Since issues started when you put in this Thermaltake PSU.
Lol the old one was a Thermal take smart 500w even worse. I also installed the old PSU and it was doing the same thing. I hopped on rust and after playing for sometime I noticed my game started to run poorly and about 30 seconds after restart. No lights on the pc turn off it stays on and just reboots.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Time to open your wallet and get good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 650W range.

Once you have good quality unit running there, PSU can be excluded as one of the culprits, and most likely fixes your issue.

If not, time to make CLEAN Win install. Btw, this:
Last time I wiped I choose keep my files.
is NOT clean Win install. Clean Win install = format your OS drive and install fresh Windows on it.

Or if you want to keep your data:
  • take out all your current drives
  • put in new, empty drive
  • install fresh OS on new empty drive
  • put back your other drives, while still booting off from new drive with clean OS
  • copy/paste the data over from your old OS drive
  • once data is over, format your old OS drive, to get one free drive again

Dec 28, 2022
Time to open your wallet and get good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx/HX/HXi/AX/AXi, in 650W range.

Once you have good quality unit running there, PSU can be excluded as one of the culprits, and most likely fixes your issue.

If not, time to make CLEAN Win install. Btw, this:

is NOT clean Win install. Clean Win install = format your OS drive and install fresh Windows on it.

Or if you want to keep your data:
  • take out all your current drives
  • put in new, empty drive
  • install fresh OS on new empty drive
  • put back your other drives, while still booting off from new drive with clean OS
  • copy/paste the data over from your old OS drive
  • once data is over, format your old OS drive, to get one free drive again
I ordered a RMX 600W Corsair psu on newegg

Dec 28, 2022
You sure that it's only 600W unit? :heink:
Since within Corsair RMx lineup, there is no 600W unit. What there are, are 550W, 650W, 750W, 850W and 1000W units.

Though, within Corsair discontinued PSUs, 600W units are within GS-series, CX-series, CXm-series and current VS-series, SF-series.
750 watt srry, Also I reseated my and it seems that the restarts have stopped, however My steam games have been crashing randomly sometimes. Do you think its the ram.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My steam games have been crashing randomly sometimes. Do you think its the ram.

Could be RAM, could be CPU or could be incompatibility with Steam game and your PC.
Some Steam games are new versions of old games, ported to HD quality and made work on Win10/11, while game itself came out in WinXP era. So, if you play such old games, then issue could be game optimization. Or when you have mods with games, then issue could be those mods.

Overall, hard to tell why games crash, without any additional info (e.g what games, what you do within the game prior to crash happening etc.).

Reactions: Richj444