Question PC restarts during gaming ?

Aug 28, 2024
Hello, hopefully someone can give me some answers. Recently my PC keeps restarting mid-game with the BSOD message Whea_Uncorrectable_Error in games like Elden Ring, Warzone, and Risk of Rain 2.

However, when I’m running anything but games my PC doesn’t restart even when using it for hours.

I’ve updated my bios, drivers and dusted the inside of my PC. I have been gaming with this setup for about a year now and I initially thought it was an overheating issue but my temps are

CPU(gaming): 55°-65°
Idle: 50°-55°
GPU(gaming): 50°-60°
Idle: 33°-40°

However, the problem still persists, not sure if the direction I need to go is a new PSU or RAM.

Specs:

MBD: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X (Kraken360AIO)
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 3080Ti
RAM: G-Skill 32GB 3600
PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-850

During gaming your 3080 ti is tripping the power supply with transient load spikes. The older ATX2.0 power supplies are not spec'd to handle them. Back when this first started happening it was recommended to move to a 1000W or more PSU to handle the spikes, now that the ATX3.0 PSU are out they are better spec'd to handle these power spikes.

Basically what is happening is for a few milliseconds the GPU is spiking over 500w tripping the 12v rail.

Before my new build i had a EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 ultra gaming on a EVGA 850w G2 PSU. Every day tasks and some light gaming would be fine, but if i got into heavy gaming it was like someone hitting the reset button on the computer. I had an older EVGA 1600W G2 from another build i swapped in and never had an issue after that. JayzTwoCents, GamerNexus, and i think even Linus Tech Tips did articles back in the day about this, basically say just move to a larger PSU.

Reactions: Unforgiven104
Aug 28, 2024
During gaming your 3080 ti is tripping the power supply with transient load spikes. The older ATX2.0 power supplies are not spec'd to handle them. Back when this first started happening it was recommended to move to a 1000W or more PSU to handle the spikes, now that the ATX3.0 PSU are out they are better spec'd to handle these power spikes.

Basically what is happening is for a few milliseconds the GPU is spiking over 500w tripping the 12v rail.

Before my new build i had a EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 ultra gaming on a EVGA 850w G2 PSU. Every day tasks and some light gaming would be fine, but if i got into heavy gaming it was like someone hitting the reset button on the computer. I had an older EVGA 1600W G2 from another build i swapped in and never had an issue after that. JayzTwoCents, GamerNexus, and i think even Linus Tech Tips did articles back in the day about this, basically say just move to a larger PSU.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Will be grabbing a new PSU later today will keep updated to see if it resolves my issue. Thank you once again.

Hey there,

Okay, so you've jumped right ahead and gone for a new PSU!? I wouldn't have gone that route straight away, but ok.

What bios are you running on the mobo? Unless it's up to date you may well be experiencing a known bug with RTX 3080ti models and some older revision bios's. Whilst @faalin has good reason to suggest a replacement, you may want to just check the PSU after a bios update and then clear CMOS. Don't open the new PSU until you've tried all available fixes. You may be able to return it and get a refund if it's not needed.

Are all of your system drivers up to date including chipset? Have you used DDU to uninstall the GPU driver and reinstall it, to be sure it's not driver related?

Those Seasonic do have lower OCP protection levels, and sometimes the transient spikes @faalin is referring to can trip the overcurrent protections.

Aug 28, 2024
Hey there,

Okay, so you've jumped right ahead and gone for a new PSU!? I wouldn't have gone that route straight away, but ok.

What bios are you running on the mobo. Unless it's up to date you may well be experiencing a known bug with RTX 3080ti models and some older revision bios's. Whilst @faalin has good reason to suggest a replacement, you may want to just check the PSU after a bios update and then clear CMOS. Don't open the new PSU until you've tried all available fixes. You may be able to return it and get a refund if it's not needed.#

Are all of your system drivers up to date including chipset? Have you used DDU to uninstall the GPU driver and reinstall it, to be sure it's not driver related?
Hey, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately even after updating everything to its current drivers the issue still persists. I initially replaced the CMOS battery as it was giving me issues however even replacing the battery the problem still occurs after a couple moments of gaming with recent titles my PC restarts.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately even after updating everything to its current drivers the issue still persists. I initially replaced the CMOS battery as it was giving me issues however even replacing the battery the problem still occurs after a couple moments of gaming with recent titles my PC restarts.
Okay, so changing the battery is not the same as clearing CMOS. You may have to short two pins on your mobo,

Also, the bios being up to date is very relevant here. What version are you running? You can check this with CPU-z on the mainboard tab.