[SOLVED] PC restarts during heavy gaming, randomly

steamnik

Reputable
May 6, 2018
Hello everyone!
I started having some PC issues a couple of months ago, my PC restarts (without the BSOD) during some graphic intensive games -sometimes.
So I tried the following:
  • cleaning the PC
  • reseating the cables
  • plugging out some of the externals (camera etc.)

My PC is not overclocked in any way, and was working fine for over 4 years. My PSU is not that strong though I think, 650W with a butterfly logo on it (can not open the case easily so that is what I remember), my GPU is R7 390x.

I did the temp test, everything was perfect.
Firstly I did the RAM test, nothing shows up..then I did only the furmark test for an hour, nothing happens, and then I did the combined stress test using the: HWINFO, prime95 and furmark, and got the following CSV file when the PC shut down after 10 minutes:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKt-WRN5E-Wt2ehH-DcQVjC8DdnPLeel/view?usp=sharing

Been planning on getting the new PSU if that is the issue, or do you guys have any other opinions?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
My PSU is not that strong though I think, 650W with a butterfly logo on it (can not open the case easily so that is what I remember)

First off, Try to post the exact Make/brand and model number of this PSU. The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

The OEM also matters a lot, instead of the actual PSU brand. I've seen PSUs labelled as 1K watts, but in actual real world scenarios, they can hardly pull 400 Watts from the wall, even under full load.

BTW, not saying your PSU is indeed the culprit here though, without knowing the details.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Imo, it's the psu. Check this list https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/ and look for one of the tier a if you have the budget, tier b if you don't. Don't go any lower than tier b. As usual, never cheap out on psu.

One of my absolute favorite when it comes to a good price and great perfomance/oem is the sharkoon silent storm cool zero. You can get the 750w for around 110 eu/120 dollars, it's fully modular and has high quality japanese capacitors. It has a zero rpm fan feature and one delay fan (basically after you turn off your pc, the psu fan will keep spinning for a minute to make sure no hot spots are there). I have one in my back build (ryzen 5 3600 and a 290x). You literally cannot ask for more at that price.

Others cheap recomm are the antec hgc (MAKE SURE IT'S POST 2018) and the itek gf taurus (ONLY THIS MODEL, avoid the rest like the plague).
If you don't care about expenses (which is always good when it comes to psu) look into the rog thor, the seasonic focus/prime, the corsair rmx,hx,hxi.

Last edited:
My PSU is not that strong though I think, 650W with a butterfly logo on it (can not open the case easily so that is what I remember)

First off, Try to post the exact Make/brand and model number of this PSU. The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

The OEM also matters a lot, instead of the actual PSU brand. I've seen PSUs labelled as 1K watts, but in actual real world scenarios, they can hardly pull 400 Watts from the wall, even under full load.

BTW, not saying your PSU is indeed the culprit here though, without knowing the details.

Last edited:
Solution

barry45

Reputable
Jul 5, 2020
this happened to me in 2k18 with my gtx 1050 ti, every part of my pc was on warranty and got all replaced 2 times (also changed my wall socket, got a new UPS also )but it did not get fixed, then i learned my gigabyte motherboard was never replaced , as the cpu socket had a tiny little rust mark at the corner and 2 times it came in new box and serial changed but the mark was there so i guess they only tested it and sent back .
argued with my dealer and they said they can keep sending it to gigabyte but its upto them if they replace or check and send back

Then i took matters to my own hand and first thing i did was get a 1000 psu for my 1050 ti Antec gold modular
even that didnt fix it so i returned it to amazon and got refund.

then i got a new Motherboard from MSI (B250M mortar)

installed the motherboard and thats it, never had it again.

Sorry for writing a essay xd but maybe try it with a different motherboard. if it worked for me it might for you.

I still have the old gigabyte motherboard brand new. just if i game on it it restarts randomly . never figured out the cause and so couldnt gigabyte.

Hope this helps

TLDR : happened to me with my 1050ti tried everything nothing worked, changing the motherboard fixed it.

osborn12341

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Hello everyone!
I started having some PC issues a couple of months ago, my PC restarts (without the BSOD) during some graphic intensive games -sometimes.
So I tried the following:
  • cleaning the PC
  • reseating the cables
  • plugging out some of the externals (camera etc.)
My PC is not overclocked in any way, and was working fine for over 4 years. My PSU is not that strong though I think, 650W with a butterfly logo on it (can not open the case easily so that is what I remember), my GPU is R7 390x.

I did the temp test, everything was perfect.
Firstly I did the RAM test, nothing shows up..then I did only the furmark test for an hour, nothing happens, and then I did the combined stress test using the: HWINFO, prime95 and furmark, and got the following CSV file when the PC shut down after 10 minutes:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKt-WRN5E-Wt2ehH-DcQVjC8DdnPLeel/view?usp=sharing

Been planning on getting the new PSU if that is the issue, or do you guys have any other opinions?

Thank you in advance.
I would uninstall all drivers, and do a clean install. download DDU from GURU that will clean out all drivers and do a fresh install .