Question PC restarts on Balanced power plan

primekazan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Hi,

Recently I saw that when I'm using a Balanced Power Plan my PC restarts by itself when idle. There is no blue screen, no crash information - it looks like it is just loosing power and that's why it is restarting. It is nor happening when gaming/browsing internet and it is not occuring in High Performance power plan. I'm using windows 10, CPU i7 9700k, MOBO SuperO C9Z390-PGW. Any ideas what could be wrong? I want to use Balanced to have lower temps on desktop (right now on my Dark Rock Pro 4 I have around 38-41 on desktop).

primekazan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Are you using power savings in your bios too?
I was tweaking a little bit for OC, but I went back to defaults settings with C states enabled. Also I've made some undervolting (my mobo is giving very high voltages around 1,4 V). Maybe I'm clearly missing something, unfortunately there are not so many hints in the internet about supermicro motherboards.

5%. I've set the same in High Performance plan - it is going stable without restarting, even when processor drops to 800 MHz.
ok set it to 0 and see if it stops. Also if you are setting this to 5 percent in high performance plan then you are defeating the high performance setting. At high performance that setting is 100 percent. That is so there is no spin up time for the cpu to apply power needed at the time of usage. At 5 percent it is still starting from low and spinning up to full power.

primekazan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
I've set it up to 0. Left it 2 times for few minutes totally idle - even without browser. Right now everything seems to be fine, my temps dropped to 36-38 in desktop (room temp 24). I'll run some more test tho, because earlier I saw that it was turning off sometimes after 15 minutes and sometimes after an hour.
Also one werid thing - while I was gaming there was a bit of stutters especially in cutscenes (my gpu usage was dropping). Aftwe few stutters it was going back to normal.
Right know I'm thinking is that an issue or I'm just paranoid :D

I've set it up to 0. Left it 2 times for few minutes totally idle - even without browser. Right now everything seems to be fine, my temps dropped to 36-38 in desktop (room temp 24). I'll run some more test tho, because earlier I saw that it was turning off sometimes after 15 minutes and sometimes after an hour.
Also one werid thing - while I was gaming there was a bit of stutters especially in cutscenes (my gpu usage was dropping). Aftwe few stutters it was going back to normal.
Right know I'm thinking is that an issue or I'm just paranoid :D
Well the stutter could be the cpu starting from zero, and having to spin up to speed to apply power for the cutscenes. There is a trade off, at balanced, there is spin up time lag, and you undervolted too so there is even more of lag to come up to power. What temps were you getting at high performance?

primekazan

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Well the stutter could be the cpu starting from zero, and having to spin up to speed to apply power for the cutscenes. There is a trade off, at balanced, there is spin up time lag, and you undervolted too so there is even more of lag to come up to power. What temps were you getting at high performance?
High something between 39-42 on desktop, in games it depends on the title. Maximum I've reached 72 degrees in Battlefield V. Mostly I'm running at 60 max with some half second spikes when loading to 75, but the spikes are not frequent.
Also I was mixing some fans in my case. It could be an issue that I had 2 fans at top that were exhausting the air. Right now I have 1 fan as exhaust (behind the cpu cooler) and one as an intake (in front of cooler). Also 2 fans 140mm at front as intake and 1 exhaust at rear.
And an update - for now the balanced mode seems to be stable.

EDIT: it turnet off by itself. No erros, just lost power and turned on by itself.

Last edited: