[SOLVED] PC restarts suddenly when starting League of Legends only ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stauner3

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
So like the title says my computer sometimes suddenly restarts when I load into a game of league of legends. If it shuts down it does so right when the loading screen pops up and goes instantly to a black screen (like if you were to cut the power).
It only happens in this one game which is why I tried to update drivers and reinstall the game but neither of those worked. Now I'm thinking it could be the psu.
This is my component list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZHHnRT

Every component is a couple of months old except for the power supply (and storage hdd) which another reason I'm suspicious off it.
When looking at windows logs it gives me the source "kernel-power" and id number 41 (63) and in the description it says something along the lines of "The system shut down without first closing down correctly. This error could be caused by, the system not responding or power dissapearing unexpectedly." (loosely translated).

So I'm just wondering if I need a new power supply or maybe the error is somewhere else. The power supply is 7 years old at this point (warranty was 3 years) so I'm really not surprised if it would be the case. I just think it would be weird that it would only be 1 game that has a problem. Especially since League is such a low requirement game. I play escape from Tarkov and Witcher 3 for example which both pull 100% of my graphics card but they have no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
Could you take a video of you starting up League of Legends with Taskmanager open to the Performance tab? Does it crash instantly or does it take a few seconds to crash? Have you tried reinstalling your copy of League of Legends? Is your copy from a reputable source?

stauner3

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
It crashes instantly. Before I can even see the loading screen pop up. I did redownload it and i got it from their website.
The crashing is unpredictable so I can't really capture it on camera.
I tried recording it with my phone when i start the game normally. Kind of hard to see though:

When looking at windows logs it gives me the source "kernel-power" and id number 41 (63) and in the description it says something along the lines of "The system shut down without first closing down correctly. This error could be caused by, the system not responding or power dissapearing unexpectedly." (loosely translated).

This error is the RESULT of sudden power loss, not the cause. Check the events that happened BEFORE that event for anything unusual.

So I'm just wondering if I need a new power supply or maybe the error is somewhere else. The power supply is 7 years old at this point (warranty was 3 years) so I'm really not surprised if it would be the case. I just think it would be weird that it would only be 1 game that has a problem. Especially since League is such a low requirement game. I play escape from Tarkov and Witcher 3 for example which both pull 100% of my graphics card but they have no issues.

PSU fault is very very unlikely if games like Wither work fine. GPU failure also is doubtful in this case - not impossible but it would need very specific failure type.

Either is something wrong with LoL itself (did you remove all LoL configuration files when reinstalling it?) or the game has some conflict with drivers (most likely GPU's). If updating GPU drivers didn't help, remove them with DDU and reinstall again, perhaps even you should try rolling back to older version (I'm assuming the game did work at the past? so choose a drivers version that you used when it worked).

stauner3

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
This error is the RESULT of sudden power loss, not the cause. Check the events that happened BEFORE that event for anything unusual.

PSU fault is very very unlikely if games like Wither work fine. GPU failure also is doubtful in this case - not impossible but it would need very specific failure type.

Either is something wrong with LoL itself (did you remove all LoL configuration files when reinstalling it?) or the game has some conflict with drivers (most likely GPU's). If updating GPU drivers didn't help, remove them with DDU and reinstall again, perhaps even you should try rolling back to older version (I'm assuming the game did work at the past? so choose a drivers version that you used when it worked).

I couldn't find any suspicious errors in the logfile leading up to any of the shutdowns.
About the gpu, I actually bought it around a month ago and the shutdowns were happening before that. So I just realised it's probably not that.

I did delete the entire folder which contains the config file. But right now I went to a riots support page that told me how to reset my config files so i did that. I'll do another reinstall and then I'll see in the next couple of days if it happens again.
Thanks for the help.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Would start with replacing the psu since that old. Maybe the game makes the gpu (maybe even cpu) spike in power use right after starting and is it shutting down because of that.

At what settings is the ram running? mean timings, mostly the first four (primary).

Can see that with cpu-z or hwinfo,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

shadowbanned!
How is that helping?

stauner3

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Would start with replacing the psu since that old. Maybe the game makes the gpu (maybe even cpu) spike in power use right after starting and is it shutting down because of that.

At what settings is the ram running? mean timings, mostly the first four (primary).

Can see that with cpu-z or hwinfo,

Computer: ASUS System Product Name
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Vermeer, VMR-B0)
3700 MHz (37.00x100.0) @ 3668 MHz (36.75x99.8)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI)
BIOS: 1004, 08/13/2020
Chipset: AMD B550 (Promontory PROM19 C)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1796 MHz, 18-22-22-42
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Patriot Memory (PDP Systems) 3600 C18 Series
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Patriot Memory (PDP Systems) 3600 C18 Series
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (TU106-200A) [ASUS]
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6144 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: ST4000VN000-1H4168, 3907.0 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, 244.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: PNY CS2130 1TB SSD, 976.8 GB, NVMe
Sound: NVIDIA TU106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Family 17h/19h - HD Audio Controller
Network: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8125 Gaming 2.5GbE Family Ethernet Controller
Network: ASUS USB-N10 150Mbps 11n Wireless USB dongle
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 19041.1052 (2004/May 2020 Update)

I could replace my PSU but I'd rather not if not necesarry.

Lol, I just saw what PSU it is.
While I still don't see a reason to suspect PSU is causing your problem ...
BUT
running a 1000$ worth of new equipment on a (let me be blunt here) old potato isn't exactly what I'd call very smart. Green CX line wasn't exactly top models even when it was new. While it may serve you well all those years, there is a good reason it only had 3 years warranty. 7 years is more then enough to call retirement.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Network: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

Network: ASUS USB-N10 150Mbps 11n Wireless USB dongle
Why two wifi? would try and use the onboard first and take the dongle out.

I could replace my PSU but I'd rather not if not necesarry.
I understand, but as said above is 7 years long for such a psu, with the old topology could it well be that if one rail goes out of spec other will too, mean when one rail gets pushed other rails might go out of spec. That price says nothing about the quality of the psu. It's old and really should be replaced imo.

Last edited:

stauner3

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Yeah I just use the on board. The dongle is from my last motherboard and I don't know where to put it lmao. Guess I'll stuff it in my motherboard box.

I'll be looking for a deal on psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.