PC Sales Are Up, Macs Getting Even More Popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately for Apple, their real competition is not HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba. Making progress against those companies is nice, but not very relevant.

People who really know about computers don't buy them from major vendors. They build their own, or have them custom built by small local shops. For example where I live, the same $2000 can buy a much nicer gaming PC that way. Not only you get a more powerful machine for the same money, but you can also make it a lot more upgradable. Major vendors have this nasty habit of cutting corners. For example they save $20 on a MB but that means no PCI-E slot available for Crossfire or SLI later when you need it, or fewer SATA ports or a smaller case (so you can't add more HDDs), etc. I've had my experience with Dell and HP and I'm not going there again.

Fendulon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Macs have become cool, so people buy them. They are ridiculously overpriced... no thanks. I've never recommended a Mac to somebody because it's so expensive, and honestly there's nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't. And viruses, well that's just user error, I haven't had one in many years.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I have a lot of people tell me they are gonna buy a mac for the old excuse that they don't wanna worry about a virus. I always remind them that its going to be more expensive and they'd be lucky if half the programs they had on their pc will be available on the mac.

randomizer

Champion
Let's watch the same, tired old comments from PC users show up again. Yes, Macs are overpriced, Macs are for stupid people, Steve Jobs is a tool, [insert a "let's face it" comment], Macs are only for those who can't surf the web safely, etc. We've heard it all before, save your keyboard and don't bother posting it all again.

It's so sad that so many on this site can't accept that some people just like Macs. No joke! People have preferences! Who would have guessed? It's kind of like the AMD vs Intel thing, but with whole computers.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Mac. I am not a big fan of excess eye candy. I can barely stomach the Windows 7 UI due to all that glass.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Mac's are getting a increase because Apple has bootcamp that lets its users install Windows on them & since Windows runs 90% of the software & games out there a lot of people are less afraid to make the switch knowing they can just slip a copy of Windows on their shiny over priced MAC.

Which brings up a couple of questions if MAC's & the MAC OS are so good why do people install Windows on them the first chance they get I mean come on if OSX is so much better than Windows according to Mr Jobs then there should be no need for Windows to be installed on a MAC. I mean we know why Mr Jobs & company are allowing it to be done is because it is selling their hardware so in a sense maybe Mr Jobs should be either thanking Microsoft for helping sell their over price hardware or cutting them a big cheque each month for commission cheques. Lets face it if Bootcamp was not their & it was not so easy to install a competitors product on the Mac's they would not be making any head way in the PC market.

This is just my view but I think Microsoft should change their Eula like Apple does to say something like only Windows Certified Computers can have a installed version of Windows installed. I mean Apple gets away with it why can't Microsoft. Sure it would make it a bit harder for the small shops but they would manage fine. This is something MS will have to do if they want to hold on to their OS market share. Oh wait I guess they are because for every MAC sold they have a chance of that user installing a copy of Windows on it so I guess MS is not losing anything they still make the Windows sale but in the process the PC market share takes a little hit each year.

I guess it is up to the User if they want to pay a heavy Apple tax or not but for the love of god use the OS that came with it after all according to Mr jobs it is the best OS ever made & is magical so use it already there should be no need to install a second rate OS if you got such a wonderful OS in OSX.

Sorry for the rant just a die hard PC user & happen to like Windows & Linux. I really have no use for toy OS's like OSX that is based off of tech from the late 90's with a shiny GUI. Yes I have used OSX I see both PC's & MAC's in our shop for repair & yes MAC hardware fails to never let Mr Jobs BS you that they never fail or the OS never crashes the Apple hardware & OS crash or fail just as much as a PC. But most never see the Apple side of hardware failures because most repairs are done by Apple shops themselves it is harder to find a fully Apple certified shop now days like our shop is. I had to learn the Apple OS from the bottom up as well as the hardware & trust me there is nothing special going on there under the Apple logo same crap as a PC just a more uniform hardware platform since Apple controls the process from start to finish.

I'm sure I will be down rated & called a PC fanatic or worse but oh well just had to vent on the subject. :)

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
mac = fashionable item like we see in cars some times, ford ka, fiat 500 etc. although I wouldn't buy a mac, i would consider using it if someone paid for me. it has some nice gnu tools that I certainly miss on the pc(windows). although it's an unfair comparison, since mac is hardware + software/OS, and pc is many things(taken the fact that mac is essentially a pc nowadays anyway). a PC the way we know it in this day and age is x86, be it 32bit or 64bit, and an ibm legacy bios design(which definitely is questionable now) and it runs about anything today since everything is more or less designed for that platform. Amiga is dead, atari, spectrum and whatnot. Microsoft is the one we can "thank" for this monopoly in hardware platforms. wintel is still very much the playing field. Sad but true, so ppl buying alternative platforms/OS is certainly nothing I'm against, but apples methods is unfortunately no better than microsofts, and that's a way i won't support. But one man can't make a difference.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Unfortunately for Apple, their real competition is not HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba. Making progress against those companies is nice, but not very relevant.People who really know about computers don't buy them from major vendors. They build their own...[/citation]
Fortunately for apple
1) Such people are only small fraction of the category "others" that are shown,
2) Even if somehow this fraction become significant, it is not competition for Apple, but by mentioned by you HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba. Apple users are somewhat different.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
We americans are astoundingly blinded and lack personal independence. We all cater and follow a mirage of status. We are like lemmings running and jumping off a cliff because others are doing so. But only a few of us seem to think independently. Some of us see that cliff and say.."WTF!..I ain't gonna keep running..I'll die if I jump off that cliff!".

Ofcourse, in real life I wish most americans are real lemmings. All the dumb ones can run and jump off a cliff...

The truth is always sad.

blibba

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]I have a lot of people tell me they are gonna buy a mac for the old excuse that they don't wanna worry about a virus. I always remind them that its going to be more expensive and they'd be lucky if half the programs they had on their pc will be available on the mac.[/citation]

There's a reason you can get AV programs for macs.

Btw... HP? What? Where are all these HP PCs? I hardly ever see one, whereas Dells are everywhere (unfortunately).

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]blibba[/nom]There's a reason you can get AV programs for macs.Btw... HP? What? Where are all these HP PCs? I hardly ever see one, whereas Dells are everywhere (unfortunately).[/citation]

You also get most of the same AV programs on a PC. HP? huh? not sure but I have at this moment 3 HP's & 2 MAC's on my bench waiting for me when I get to work & a bunch more assorted PC's & Mac's out front waiting for me to carry them to my bench in the back for me to look them over & find out why they no longer make their owners smile when they push the power button.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Why do people still compare macs to gaming computers? They are not meant to be compared,they are not meant to appeal to the same people,they are meant for non-advanced computer users who want a simple and reliable (yes, they are more stable than windows like it or not) computer.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]We americans are astoundingly blinded and lack personal independence. We all cater and follow a mirage of status. We are like lemmings running and jumping off a cliff because others are doing so. But only a few of us seem to think independently. Some of us see that cliff and say.."WTF!..I ain't gonna keep running..I'll die if I jump off that cliff!". Ofcourse, in real life I wish most americans are real lemmings. All the dumb ones can run and jump off a cliff... The truth is always sad.[/citation]

You're taking this a bit too far. I think people buy Mac's because they're shiny and apparently marketed very well. If people want to spend all that extra money go for it. Not quite the same as lemmings following each other over the edge and, judging by the stats above, by far the greater majority of Americans do not have Mac's.

Just sit back, take a deep breath, and relax.

2 year old hardware. Priced more than current and better hardware at that.
And where did you get "90's software" from?

ilikepinback

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]We americans are astoundingly blinded and lack personal independence. We all cater and follow a mirage of status. We are like lemmings running and jumping off a cliff because others are doing so. But only a few of us seem to think independently. Some of us see that cliff and say.."WTF!..I ain't gonna keep running..I'll die if I jump off that cliff!". Ofcourse, in real life I wish most americans are real lemmings. All the dumb ones can run and jump off a cliff... The truth is always sad.[/citation]

I personally agree. But if it were to actually take place I'd lose all the customers at my coffee shop...even though I wouldn't mind not having 50+ customers with Macs asking how to connect to the wireless every day.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I'll never have a pc with a proprietary motherboard and case. Custom is the way to go.

Every tried replacing a motherboard in a dell. You have 3 options, buy the motherboard from dell or shady online vendors: this ins not a very good option because you have to buy a board specific to dell and the model number, which has less features and cost 3 to 4 times as much. Compatible ram is another issue I have had. To get guaranteed compatible ram, it is often much more expensive than ram compatible with third party boards.

The second options which is better, but still a hassle, is to replace the motherboard and case which gets you a better board but requires purchasing a case, because third party boards do not fit dell cases. With the propietary case and motherboard gone, you basically have a custom built pc anyway, so why not just start out with one anyway.

A third option is to buy the expense 3 warranty and then extend it when it runs out, of coarse you will pay as much as you did for the pc, so it isn't viable either.

You may catch a sale and be able to buy low end pc that is just as cheap as you can build it, but if lightning or a surge, ends the life of your board, you will pay more in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.