PC Sales Are Up, Macs Getting Even More Popular

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]...Which brings up a couple of questions if MAC's & the MAC OS are so good why do people install Windows on them the first chance they get I mean come on if OSX is so much better than Windows according to Mr Jobs then there should be no need for Windows to be installed on a MAC.[/citation]

Because I prefer the Mac OS X consistency and stability and I play games. Since Steam released Mac versions of some games I no longer need to boot into Windows to play those particular games. FPS are more than acceptable on a MacPro with nVidiaGTX285 and Windows 7 Ultimate. Though WIndows 7 is the best WIndows yet (closer to a Mac experience) there are still horrible issues with the System Registry and incompatibilities in general. I'm sick and tired of games crashing in Windows but that is the OS which supports most games. I just wish Devs would drop the flakey DirectX and go straight to OpenGL and multi-platform release, then everyone would be happy. They get more revenue and we all get games for our preferred platform.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Macs have become cool, so people buy them. They are ridiculously overpriced.

Why would you think they are overpriced? My Mac and my PC cost almost the exact same amount. (My PC has a quad core processor at 3.4GHz, 4GB of ram, 750GB hard drive. My mac has a dual core processor at 2GHz and 2GB of ram.)

backlashwave

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
I would like to buy a mac,I have hp laptop and it is bulky and heavy compared to mac. people say many things about mac some of them are true some of them are wrong but I would still buy a mac very soon just because of its sleek design. Don't get me wrong I travel a lot and laptops get heavy.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Unfortunately for Apple, their real competition is not HP/Dell/Acer/Toshiba. Making progress against those companies is nice, but not very relevant.People who really know about computers don't buy them from major vendors. They build their own, or have them custom built by small local shops. For example where I live, the same $2000 can buy a much nicer gaming PC that way. Not only you get a more powerful machine for the same money, but you can also make it a lot more upgradable. Major vendors have this nasty habit of cutting corners. For example they save $20 on a MB but that means no PCI-E slot available for Crossfire or SLI later when you need it, or fewer SATA ports or a smaller case (so you can't add more HDDs), etc. I've had my experience with Dell and HP and I'm not going there again.[/citation]
Well, people who really know about computers are still a minority and those who buy it from apple do it not because it is technologically superior, it is because people buying it think of it as a beautiful accessory. That is how apple markets its products.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It's so sad that so many on this site can't accept that some people just like Macs. No joke! People have preferences![/citation]
Oh we accept that they like Macs - we also accept what that implies about their decision making power and general persona.

WE also accept that in about 5 years or so, these poeple will finally begin to realize that Apple makes subpar quality products out of subpar materials with above-average failure rates. And about 5 years after that, they'll stop buying Apple products.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It amuses me how threatened you guys are by Apple that you have to bash every product and call the people that use them idiots, as if smart people buy HP or Dell or whatever your rationale is. In my unbiased experience, most of my tech savvy friends buy Macs. The rest probably couldn't even tell me what version of Windows they were running, let alone what Windows is, or even what brand computer they have.

I'm especially sick of the myth that Macs are overpriced. Compared to what? Building an OEM PC yourself? Yeah, no ****. But compared to the major PC companies, they're on the same level when you compare both hardware and software.

You may now proceed to cry more about 10% market share. Oh no, a company is successful! It has no effect on you. There are dozens of PC options to choose from and hundreds of phone and mp3 player options. But since you don't feel your choice of technology is being validated, you have to bash the competition. I have no tolerance for ill-informed, biased, ignorant fanboys.

The only valid negative complaint compared to other companies is games. If you're a serious gamer, and want to play the latest games, then Macs aren't for you. It often takes a year or two for a port, and usually a game won't get ported at all.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
The day you can build your own mac from newegg will be the day, i may look at that camp.....Oh wait, they don't have a right click, never mind.

G

The fact that more Americans have Macs is a clear indication of the sort of advertised plethora every american goes through everyday in the media that they absorb.

Clearly, this is nothing to do with product satisfaction, but a simple selfish desire brought on by being the most Capitalistic and Brand enveloped country in the World

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ohseus[/nom]Typical ill informed Mac hate on another Tom's news article.[/citation]

The more the website is for technically inclined people the more apple hate you will find. Hating Apple is a by product of computer skills.

-a network admin for a fortune 500 corp.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Does anyone know if the iPad is included? Sorry, I don't follow how many have been sold, but this could account for some of the growth...

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I like PCs, don't get me wrong. But Macs are high quality products. I still think they're priced too high, but at the same time all of their support is still in America, unlike many PC companies that outsourced to Asia.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Mac Mini is $699 at bestbuy or applestore. You don't get a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. So tell me how a $699 mini tower with nothing is the same as a complete pc or laptop in terms of not being overpriced, Please!

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
If you want a thin stylish laptop, go with Sony VAIO. Their laptops are beautiful, very sleek and the prices are great. Check out some reviews on Tiger Direct on YouTube

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]The more the website is for technically inclined people the more apple hate you will find. Hating Apple is a by product of computer skills. -a network admin for a fortune 500 corp.[/citation]

Let's clarify Tom's is not for the highly technically inclined for the most part. Tom's is a gaming hardware site. For example, take a look at the Asrock suggestion thread where about 80% of the posters do not know the difference between a motherboard manufacturer and a chipset designer. To state that the more one technical inclination the less they like Apple is simply ignorance. Chances are I have been "technically inclined" then many of the posters have been alive.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]Does anyone know if the iPad is included? Sorry, I don't follow how many have been sold, but this could account for some of the growth...[/citation]

I was wondering that myself because I've been seeing some of these analyst companies throw iPads into the laptop and netbook categories when they were reporting numbers.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I build my own PC's, yet I like Macs. Its the design, not really the hardware your buying. Its the experience.

So to make blanket statements such as "idiots buy Macs" shows your ignorance.

I am no idiot (work as a SQL database admin for a fortune 500 company) and I like OSX due to the ability to natively write my Perl scripts, etc. So yeah, there are more than just "idiots" who buy Macs.

Don't be jealous because you wish you had one...saying that, Happy Friday ;)

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]I wish laptops started shipping with Linux...[/citation]

I believe Dell actually does sell systems with Ubuntu on them.

forrestsun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
There is another scenario, some people is technological advanced enough to actually appreciate softwares from BOTH platform for different purposes. You can do that with Mac, be is virtual windows or bootcamp windows; but you can't do that on Windows machine (Apple not allowing at the moment). Therefore I just consider the premium of Apple computer as the price to pay for such DUAL choices. Both systems have improvement space left, neither are perfect.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Macs look nice, that's no doubt. But I absolutely HATE the OS. I don't care if it's safer, I really don't give a rat's ass about it. If you want something sleek like a Mac that runs Windows, how about a SONY VAIO?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I would still buy a mac very soon just because of its sleek design. Don't get me wrong I travel a lot and laptops get heavy.

Macbooks are sleek but they are still heavy. I checked out a 13" MB and was surprised at how darned heavy it was. If you want light I would suggest a 13" ultra low voltage machine. I have one, the Toshiba T135, but Lenovo, HP, ASUS and Acer make similar models too. I like the size, a step up from a netbook, and I like the use of a dual core processor, and the weight is just a touch more than a netbook.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ohseus[/nom]Let's clarify Tom's is not for the highly technically inclined for the most part. Tom's is a gaming hardware site. For example, take a look at the Asrock suggestion thread where about 80% of the posters do not know the difference between a motherboard manufacturer and a chipset designer. To state that the more one technical inclination the less they like Apple is simply ignorance. Chances are I have been "technically inclined" then many of the posters have been alive.[/citation]

I wasnt talking specifically about tomshardware, take techrepublic for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.