PC Sales Are Up, Macs Getting Even More Popular

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]macintosh97[/nom]Apple's computers are retained and useful on average of 5 years, that's 2 years longer than Windows PC users.[/citation]Clould you please state the source where you got this? Because I see a lot of people still using old laptops with windows xp (and I'm not referring to netbooks).

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Shipments do not equal sales... just like markets for other products, it takes much longer for that wholesale/reseller to move product into the tight walleted cosumer's hands. This is just like tracking other stats such as unemployment which tells a snapshot in time with blinders on...
PC sales for the year will be flat to underperforming... Laptop pricing has also beeen a little volatile with price spikes heading into the holiday shopping season. Average jump is $60-$250 for the same laptop in Q3 vs Q4 2010. The hike in oil/gasoline prices could only account for 10% or less of the price spike. The rest-- unambiguous greed, and what some will argue-- the Dollar's value plummeting on world markets upon jitters of US debt, again accounting in total for no more than 50% of the greed.

G

Can't agree with most of you. I'll always build PC desktops, but never again will I buy anything but a macbook for my notebooks.
Reasons:
1.)Aluminum unibody, incredibly resistant to damage, bending etc. It feels like one solid piece of metal.
2.)hinges are indestructible compared to every pc notebook out there. I have fallen for buying cheap HP notebooks with too much screen for their own good one too many times.
3.)Bootcamp - I use win xp constantly on my macbook. It plays games flawlessly- up to the limits of the nvidia 9300M

Macbooks are worth every penny in my opinion.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]arch0082[/nom]Can't agree with most of you. I'll always build PC desktops, but never again will I buy anything but a macbook for my notebooks. Reasons:1.)Aluminum unibody, incredibly resistant to damage, bending etc. It feels like one solid piece of metal. 2.)hinges are indestructible compared to every pc notebook out there. I have fallen for buying cheap HP notebooks with too much screen for their own good one too many times. 3.)Bootcamp - I use win xp constantly on my macbook. It plays games flawlessly- up to the limits of the nvidia 9300MMacbooks are worth every penny in my opinion.[/citation]

I totally agree with you. I always build my PC desktops but I love my MacBook Pro. 7-10 Hours of battery life, multitouch trackpad, backlit keyboard, solid unibody construction, magsafe connector. I love my Dell Mini for it's size but I tripped over the power cord yesterday and nearly killed the thing. Makes me appreciate the little things on my MacBook Pro like the magsafe power connector.

I don't know why people obsess over pure hardware specs and it's not always about the absolute lowest price. Many people have different focuses when using their Macs. There are plenty of differentiating factors that make Macs great. Personally, I think that sticking to one platform is limiting. As a computer geek I love knowing about and learning about multiple platforms. It's enable me to earn way more money in my career and given me many more job opportunities being multi-platform knowledgeable. OS X has some great features, automator workflows (Windows is not all that friendly to workflows), OS X services (Google it), native PDF support, native SSH, native perl scripting, Quicksilver (this app is awesome!), iChat multi-user video chat, iLife Suite, implementation of Bonjour (mDNS - self discovering network protocol), etc. Time machine is a great integrated backup solution that includes delta backups and file versioning. Once you've seen FireWire taget disk mode in action, you'll really appreciate it.

Do I worry about my Mac being part of some botnet? Not really. Do worry about activex exploits on my Mac? Nope. Do I wish I could easily and cheaply upgrade the video card on my Mac. Yep. Do I wish more games were available for the Mac. Yep. Do I like overclocking and tweaking my PC. Sure. There are pros and cons to each.

Some people actually do want a Mac Mini that idles at 8W of power, is practically silent, has a tiny footprint, and it not easily susceptible to malware. They may not be technically savvy and they want a retail store that they can go to and get support in person. Some people consciously make this decision. They don't care if the computer can run Crysis. Really, are the 6.5 million US computers that Microsoft cleaned of botnet infections the past quarter intelligent PC users? Don't assume everyone every Mac user is clueless moron. I don't assume all PC users are idiots. There are knowledge users in each camp, and many who are in both camps.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]We americans are astoundingly blinded and lack personal independence. We all cater and follow a mirage of status. We are like lemmings running and jumping off a cliff because others are doing so. But only a few of us seem to think independently. Some of us see that cliff and say.."WTF!..I ain't gonna keep running..I'll die if I jump off that cliff!". Ofcourse, in real life I wish most americans are real lemmings. All the dumb ones can run and jump off a cliff... The truth is always sad.[/citation]

That's funny! I have always felt that it was the Windows fanboys that were jumping off the cliff. I'm the tech person in my family and I have put everyone on notice, I will not fix anymore PC's. I just don't have the time to reinstall crappy Windows when they get nailed by a virus, or their machine are bloated and slow. I have told them all to buy a Mac, it is a far more stable and secure platform, and if they buy a Mac I will support, not that I'll have to.

G

Geeze guys. You'd think Apple was responsible for killing your parents with the way you talk about them. How about everyone buys what they like and no one worries about it? I thought apple fanboys were supposed to be the arrogant ones.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm not a big enough douche bag to own Apple products. And they don't "just work". I jumped on to a demo Macbook and wanted to see how long it would take me to change the mouse sensitivity....gave up 2 minutes later.

kalem13

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Mac aren't made for gaming, I guess pretty much everyone agree with that. That's why my gaming PC is a nice custom build PC, with hand choosen part. I'll soon be due to an upgrade (the old Core 2 duo 3Ghz in it start to show it's age).

But as an amateur Photographer, I must admit that my Macbook Pro is worth every penny I paid for it. The biggest selling point is the screen. I don't know or care (on that computer) for input lag, but color accuracy on my Macbook Pro is really good. When editing my photo, it is essential (for me). The trackpad is accurate enough that I can make edit in cramped environnement. I once edited some photo in a bus while getting back home after a trip. And the battery life, low weight and slim profile mean I can bring it in the field easily to make edit on site. There is also the fact that the OS handle RAW and Photoshop file natively. There is no such thing on Windows. And the workflow with Adobe Bridge is in my opinion much better on a Mac, where you only have to drag and drop the file on the correct application in the dock.

Please, the discussion would be so much better if everybody here would understand that not everyone have the same need in a computer. For me, a 17" inch gaming laptop with a Core i7 and a high end graphic card that last 45 min on the battery is an overweight, oversized piece of hardware that I find pretty useless (I won't use the extra power anyway). That doesn't mean you won't find it a perfect fit for you own need.

One size fit all doesn't exists in the realm of computer. Remember that.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]I build my own PC's, yet I like Macs. Its the design, not really the hardware your buying. Its the experience. So to make blanket statements such as "idiots buy Macs" shows your ignorance. I am no idiot (work as a SQL database admin for a fortune 500 company) and I like OSX due to the ability to natively write my Perl scripts, etc. So yeah, there are more than just "idiots" who buy Macs. Don't be jealous because you wish you had one...saying that, Happy Friday[/citation]

I guess we can all agree that the best thing is convincing your company to buy you a really powerful mac. You have par performance, OS X and Windows via boot camp, and the chicks like it. Plus u don't pay the bill.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]tidex[/nom]Screens are not worth buying a mac.Don't need 1200w psu, not even for a server.plus you have to add in that not every single piece of hardware is available online due to shortages/out of stock etcXeon I forgot simply because I've never bought one so I wasn't sure how it worked also many of the other features you described are either pointless or worth next to nothing.for example using wireless with a workstation is pretty stupid.as for warranty and tech support, most parts do offer a warranty of some kind and there are free methods of tech support other than some apple "genius" reseating the ram. tech support should never be included with prices because the need for it depends on the user's skill level.either way its still far overpriced compared to both prebuilt and hand built.[/citation]

Plenty of enterprise servers use 1000W+ PSUs. All those cores, video cards, RAM, raid controllers, hard drives suck up power, but clearly you've never worked in an enterprise environment. Lots of professionals use Macs and tech support is of paramount importance. Their time is worth the extra cost of getting a pre-built system. How long does it take to assemble a system, install software, and burn in the system. Maybe 8-10 hours? Time=Money! Being out of commission for a day is expensive. It's nice to be able to walk into a store a have a problem repaired in a reasonable timeframe. The kind of people that need this horsepower are professionals that use Maya, Logic, or Final Cut Pro. Quibbling over a few hundred dollars is trivial to the cost of both the software and time they can be billing clients. Even if they had the technical know-how to to it, it's not worth their time. Apple Geniuses go through a certification program just like any Dell or HP tech support person (I'm not talking about first tier tech support). I have my Dell certs and I've read through the Apple certification material and I know it's pretty in-depth.

Please point out a pre-built system with equal specs that is significantly cheaper than the Mac Pro. I don't know why everyone seems to think buying a pre-built system is some terrible waste of money. Millions of people buy pre-built Windows PCs everyday. Are they lame too? Just because you don't want a pre-built system or tech support doesn't mean others don't want it.

Whether you like the monitor or not, the fact is the 27" iMac has a $1100 LED backlit LCD panel. The glossy screen is a matter of preference but the fact is it's the same LG panel found in Dell's top-of-the-line 27" Ultrasharp and it's a pretty nice display. Don't make it sound like you're getting a crappy lower resolution TN display, it's a good panel.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Since when do people buy PC's prebuilt by HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, Asus or Toshiba excluding laptops. The biggest market share wouldn't be in branded computers but rather manufacturer parts sold(asus, xfx, gigabyte, corsair, intel, amd, ati, nvidia, g.skill, seagate, etc the list can go on and og). So this information is invalid. Only idiots buy prebuilt computers nowadays.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Stoogie[/nom]Since when do people buy PC's prebuilt by HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, Asus or Toshiba excluding laptops. The biggest market share wouldn't be in branded computers but rather manufacturer parts sold(asus, xfx, gigabyte, corsair, intel, amd, ati, nvidia, g.skill, seagate, etc the list can go on and og). So this information is invalid. Only idiots buy prebuilt computers nowadays.[/citation]
Businesses my friend. For every 1 prebuilt they sell to an average joe they probably sell 30 computers on their business end.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Something seems odd about these numbers. They only reflect the last three shipment months. Now, what has occurred during this period that might account for a whopping 24% shipment increase? What are being counted as PC shipments, laptops, desktops and netbooks only?

I think a closer look at the data is in order.

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Let's watch the same, tired old comments from PC users show up again. Yes, Macs are overpriced, Macs are for stupid people, Steve Jobs is a tool, [insert a "let's face it" comment], Macs are only for those who can't surf the web safely, etc. We've heard it all before, save your keyboard and don't bother posting it all again.It's so sad that so many on this site can't accept that some people just like Macs. No joke! People have preferences! Who would have guessed? It's kind of like the AMD vs Intel thing, but with whole computers.Personally I wouldn't buy a Mac. I am not a big fan of excess eye candy. I can barely stomach the Windows 7 UI due to all that glass.[/citation]

Good comment! Sad that people voted you down because they can't handle people having their own opinions. I'm not a mac user myself, but if someone I know bought one I would just assume they prefer them for some reason, not that they are weak people who can't make decisions - that's just an elitist stereotype from people who need to feel superior somehow.

G

Lol

This is true. 90% of people are very biased and love to harp rubbish.
Sorry Tom's Your site is full of crap from comments these days.

We see the same old rubbish generated again and again from a story that might even be a good one.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]fellskrazykayaker[/nom]but clearly you've never worked in an enterprise environment. Lots of professionals use Macs and tech support is of paramount importance.[/citation]

Been an Enterprise Admin/Tech/Programer for over 10yrs now. Built my first PC back in 1993. Been with an Enterprise Co (Fortune 500) for over 16yrs. I have never seen any MACs or OSX during and currently in my line of work. If you have OSX and MACs in your IT Dept and or your IT Dept Supports MACs/OSX, Sorry to say but, your company is not truly an enterprise company. A true Enterprise consist of 5000+ PC's and thousands of Servers for support. OSX and Apple IOS Security flaws will compromise Enterprise Companies Securities - #1 reason Apple will never make it to where the bigs boys make most of thier $$$ and market share. THe secuirty flaws of Apple Products and how Apple is restrictive is another topic which I will not delve into. Another reason is why would an enterprise who orders thousands of PC's yearly, buy MAC's when the equivelent PC hardware and configuration for most of its end users would only cost 1/4 the MAC's price? In my line of work, its not about esthetics or looks but rather pure business common sense. As I have stated before, try going to ur boss and say I need 3 million for macs or say I need 3 hundred thousand for PC's. Its a bit of exageration but you get my point because in the business world - Cutting cost and making profits is the number #1 rule.

Another item, as I have been reading Toms, Daily Tech, TechRepublic, etc...sites - in my opinion over half or even more of the people who post think they know Tech but are barely just scratching the surface. Why do I say that? Example: Programers I know and work with, know thier OS they are programing for in and out - such as which DLL and which subroutines to call. But when I ask them hardware questions....they are clueless. Nothing aginst them but I do have to admit, some have a better knowledge about hardware but most don't. Now reverse the example above I just gave you. Odd huh? That is how most people who post on Toms and other tech sites are. They think they know but don't really. Example: When I see people post things such as "Macs are not PC's"...I roll my eyes. PC's ARE PERSONAL COMPUTERS = MACS = Windows PC's = Linux PC's. Or I see people posting comments that clearly depicts themselves as ill informed - Another example in my line of work: "Oh yeah my CPU is not on. Its just blank." and then I answer them "hit the power button on your Monitor/LCD mam/sir"....thinking to myself..its not a CPU..its a Monitor/LCD. When people post comments and they clearly do not know what they are talking about...the example above is the feeling I get.

As a System Admin, I have seen all that you can in the IT world as far as Hardware can go - name it and I have worked on it (routers, switches, printers, scanners, Servers, troubleshooting networks, port scanning, troubleshooting servers, LAN, WAN, etc.). I also write and code programs (Python, C+, Java, HTML, VB, and all the forms of scripting) for my benifit and many needs of being System Admin such as gathering software installations of certain types and or drive space or deploying and installing updates or programs onto hundreds of PC's, SQL to Access Database maintanence etc. Or I simply just write a program because I need a better program that does the task I want it to the way I need it to compared to retail programs that does not. I also am in charge of purchasing and know the business side of budgets, man hours, hardware pricing/prices, business impact, etc. And I have built my own custom PC's since 1993. I still may not understand certain techs and tech languages but i'd say I am well versed. The Tech world is ever changing and even after 16+ yrs in the tech business, I have barely seen past the tip of the iceberg.

MACS are: Overpriced, Overated, full of unpatched security holes, restricted to certain hardware and offerings, easy to use, really nice cases, security risks in enterprise environments, hardly any viruses/worms/trojans, 5%-8% Global Market Share, etc.

Windows PCs are: Unrestricted offerings - What you want them to be with milliions of customization and will work with any windows flavor. High probablility of Virus/Trojan/Worm infection (as the old saying goes, your personal computer is only as secure as the person infront of the keyboard). 90% of the market. Preferred by enterprises and big companies. easy to use. The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong. I like OSX for its strengths over Windows. But those strengths are very few now. And I have a hackintosh as well. I have also owned one MAC 14" Mac Book when they still have the RISC processors. When Family members and friends ask if they should get MAC or Windows PC, I always recommend Windows PC, be-it laptop or desktop. Most friends and family don't have $$$ to waste thousands on a mediocre MAC and then also pay for the support because its restricted as such. Last time I help a frined upgrade his Mac Book ram from 2 Gigs to 4 Gigs....I voided his warranty because I opened his MAC book pro up to get to the ram - WTF!!! Reason he came to me was because Apple Store told him he can only get MAC compatible RAM 2X2GB-4GB..which is over $100 more than 2X2GB-4GB Crucial exact type ram. I told the friend...its the same damn Motheroard and intel chipset as most other same Windows Laptop. What a ROFL...but bad thing is, now I have to support his MAC Book until he sells it - *sigh*. And true, I have had very few viruses/trojans/Worms. My AMD PC built in 2000 stil runs fast and boots up with no issues. Windows PCs run as good as thier owner can take care of them. PCs are just like cars if you change its oils and regular maintanence it will last for years and years to come. Just another Myth about Windows PC vs Macs.

G

MS based PC has it advantages and MAC has it advantages (Ubuntu is nice). why not just a buy product that you like and hopefully used it for what you want and enjoy it. i personally use all 3 but i used my PC more because i play games. When I go on holiday, I bring my mac book. Ubuntu, is used as my file server and media server.

the article is about the sales figures, and based on the stats, almost 90% of personal computers are windows based (might be wrong since some of the tier 1 sells linux based machine). why not just leave it at that instead of apple vs the rest of the pc world.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

I have also worked as a sysadmin for a fortune 500 company in past with nearly $1 trillion in assets and offices in several states and numerous offices throughout the world. I would think that would qualify as an enterprise environment. I'm currently as part of an organization with nearly 30,000 users. I would have to say my experience with Macs in the enterprise has been different. I would never say that Macs (please don't capitalize MAC, it's a abbreviation, not an acronym) make up a majority of systems in most business environments they do have a presence. The term PC is a generally accepted colloquialism referring to a non-Mac computer, but semantically, yes a Mac is a PC. Your statement about programmers made me laugh because I have to agree with you that most developers really don't know much about their computers. It's almost frightening sometimes.

I don't know that Macs will ever have a major presence in the enterprise as current tools and infrastructure for support Macs are practically non-existent. But Macs certainly do have presence in the enterprise, however small it is. I was meeting with the head of our Active Directory environment several weeks ago and I was surprised to see him pull out a MacBook Pro. I know he virtualizes Windows for a certain apps but he also uses OS X. I went to a VMWare event and one of the product engineers there was giving a demo of his virtual machine infrastructure using VMWare Fusion on his 13" MacBook Pro. I was at another data storage event a while back and I would say about 40-50% of the sysadmins there were using MacBooks or MacBook Pros. I was kind of shocked myself. At my previous job, I myself had used a MacBook Pro as my primary machine and used Thursby's ADmitMac to do AD administration. If you asked me 3 years ago if Apple would have mobile devices in the enterprise market, I would have laughed at you and said "BlackBerry all the way!". But ask me again today and I realize that I was wrong. I think the impact of iOS devices in the enterprise is going to be very real.

Opening up a MacBook Pro to upgrade the RAM will not void the warranty, even if it is one of the Unibody MacBook Pros. For someone who is some picky about PC/Mac semantics you should know that if you had a RISC based PowerPC Mac laptop, it was not a MacBook, it was PowerBook and Apple has never offered a 14" screen on a laptop.

I think my main frustration as you've said before, is that most people that think they are knowledgeable about computers are really NOT knowledgeable. In particular people who make unqualified comments about Macs without any experience with them irritate me. Someone makes a stupid, trite comment bashing Macs is likely to get upvoted many times while an intelligently written and well though out comment like yours and mine will not get any upvotes. I get downvoted just for a making a completely valid point or saying something positive about Macs/Apple. I think if you've really used a Mac and it doesn't work for you, that's fine. If a plain old Windows box works fine then great. I hope you're happy with it, I certainly love my Windows box. I love that I can pop in a new video card and I've boost my gaming performance pretty cheaply. I think that's it irresponsible to complain about Macs' prices without fully understanding them. I see plenty of people drop $400 for a top of the line video card but think that spending $400 for a Mac Mini refurb is outrageous

I love using FireWire target disk mode to rescue Macs with a failing hard drive. It's really nice to be able to boot into single user mode to help a user reset an account password. I like my magsafe power connector and my multitouch trackpad. I'm interested in photography and Aperture is a really cool app. I like that when the time to upgrade my Mac comes, I can resell it for a lot more than I can resell a equivalent age Windows PC. As a sysadmin, I know you've helped people remove viruses, deal with malware (Antivirus 2010 :)), worms, and other security issues that plague Windows. There are going to be security holes in any OS you use. As it stands OS X is has essential no malware (aside from some proof-of-concept stuff) targeting it while Windows has seen more malware created in the past year than the previous 20 years combined. This is a fact. I'm not arguing that OS X is intrinsically more secure, actually I don't feel this way. I feel Microsoft has a done a much better job with Windows 7 security. Microsoft has done a better job of implementing ASLR (address space layout randomization). But the reality is I'd still give Macs a recommendation to people trying to avoid those type of threats since the REAL threat is much lower. Malware obfuscation is becoming increasingly complex and even tech savvy people get hit.

Personally I think it's silly to blindly stick with a single platform but I understand it. I myself use primarly Windows and Linux at work and use OS X (laptop), Windows (desktop), and Linux (file server, Slackware) at home. I try very hard to be non-partisan when it comes to computer ideologies. Overall, I'm just disappointed at the lack of maturity and thoughtful discussion in the comments. I do hope that people are critical of the Mac, but in an honest objective way. People who blindly bash Macs or Apple just make me sad. Apple does and has made some great contributions to the computer world. I wish people would acknowledge that.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Woot, Asus 5th Place? geez only a few years ago their notebook market was nothing.[/citation]

Asus is fantastic. Reliable hardware with great design philosophy and they don't load a ton a BS in their Windows images.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

ASUS is great, their normally who I buy from when getting a monitor.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I am a PC user (main desktop@home w/Win7 Q6600 4gig ram Lian Li case) and a Mac user (work Laptop). I have to say that I moved from HP/Dell/Toshiba laptops to a Macbook pro because I had a series of hardware failures on all 3 brands, 2 got tired of Windows slowing down as I applied more Windows updates and other applications related to work, and 3 used Linux for a while on those laptops and but needed better productivity tools and a smoother desktop environment (although the network tools where great). Once I went to the Mac I was perfect, I have a great GUI in OSX, I have BSD underneath the hood so I have the network tools, and I have productivity apps like IWork and MS Office. It does not slow down as I add applications and system updates, have not had a single hardware failure (other than something that I caused), and the tech support replaced the hardware that I technically broke overnight. PERFECT!!

You guys have to realize that there is more to a computer than just the spec. These things are not toasters. Mac are doing well because they build a great machine and OSX is nothing short of fantastic. It is not that the OS is so much greater than Windows, they serve the same purpose really but it is a small details that OSX excels in that makes really good.

On the hardware front, proof is in the pudding. Apple makes a reliable machine that runs on a really reliable OS and although it has it's own issues, those issues don't impact performance. It stays responsive and you don't have fragmentation issues. I have a Windows 7 machine with 4 gigs of memory that I built around the same time I moved to a MAC on my laptop. I have more applications on my laptop than I do on my PC and although my laptop has less hardware than my PC it still boots exactly the same as when I first bought it (almost instantly). My PC with all top reviewed parts in it (Asus Commando mb, Corsair Dominator memory, Radeon card, Silverstone Power, and a Scythe Heatsink) takes all of 5 minutes to boot completely.

All in all, moving to mac was the best tech investment I made in a while and I will not be building anymore PC's. I will just get a Mac Pro and dual boot Windows 7 or 8 on it.

Another thing that is great is when you are the computer guy in the family, they call you when they need to do something or have a problem before the call the handy 800 number on their system documentation. Since I started recommending IMacs to my family members I only get an occasional call to do a video conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.