Question Pc screens don’t turn on but lights and peripherals do (vga light on motherboard)

Aug 22, 2023
Hi there, a few days ago my pc would turn on just fine, go to windows, and run for a while before the screens and audio seemingly crash. The case fans and lights were still on but there was no display (and at this point the cpu light on the motherboard would be on). After some troubleshooting I’ve been able to fix the cpu light being on, but now the screens won’t turn on at all when the pc is on and the vga light on the motherboard is on.

Specs:
amd cpu
msi b450 gaming plus max motherboard
amd gpu

tried:
running pc without gpu
clearing cmos by removing battery
running with 1 rams stick
unplugging and checking connectors for everything
switching cmos battery
tried with different monitors and cables
tried updating bios (didn’t work, light flashed twice then stayed red, trying with another flash drive soon)
tried different psu cable

Please help, not sure what’s wrong with it but this happened after both a power surge (although pc was plugged into a surge protector), and after moving the pc to a new house.

Solution
Sure, it may be supplying SOME power, but not enough to have a functioning system. However, that is a garbage PSU brand. I would look to replacing the PSU with a better reviewed unit.
Aug 22, 2023
What is the make/model of the PSU and how old is it? I suspect the power supply is the issue.
it’s a gamemax bp-500-rgb, it’s around 6 years old and probably has over 10,000 hours on it, although when plugged in and on the gpu has a light above the connector to the psu that I assume indicates that it’s getting power?

Aug 22, 2023
Sure, it may be supplying SOME power, but not enough to have a functioning system. However, that is a garbage PSU brand. I would look to replacing the PSU with a better reviewed unit.
Makes sense, I got the pc on a pretty tight budget when I was 14 so I wouldn’t be surprised. Any recommendations for some better budget psus? Also should I try a different psu just to verify before I get a new one? (my friend has a similar psu)

You can try swapping out with your friend's PSU as a quick verification. Just make sure to swap all the interior cables as well (and not just swapping the box). Though if I were to go through that trouble, I would just buy a new PSU and wire that one in since I would be looking to replace the PSU regardless of whether it was the problem or not.

As for what PSU to replace it with all depends on what you're willing to spend: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qn...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm

Reactions: croc124
Aug 22, 2023
You can try swapping out with your friend's PSU as a quick verification. Just make sure to swap all the interior cables as well (and not just swapping the box). Though if I were to go through that trouble, I would just buy a new PSU and wire that one in since I would be looking to replace the PSU regardless of whether it was the problem or not.

As for what PSU to replace it with all depends on what you're willing to spend: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qn...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm
I thought so, if I buy a new psu and it still doesn’t work I can return it or use it for a new build. I appreciate your help