Question Pc Seemingly Overheating/Actually Overheating Out of Nowhere

Jun 5, 2024
I starting having overheating issues a few months ago and fixed it by taking off the clear piece of my case. I have had my gpu for over 2 years now and never had any sort of overheating problem ever until recently. Then in the last few weeks, the overheating got more frequent and I started to have to use a fan constantly blowing on the gpu to stop it from overheating. I have done a quick dusting with compressed air (probably did not use the best technique) and that only slightly helped it. I also am planning on hopefully soon doing a complete wipe of the pc and then also taking it all apart and cleaning it all individually. What happens when it overheats is the monitors shut off and (not sure which fans) sound like they are running at max speed. Normally after that happens I touch the gpu to see if it is overheated. However, this morning I was using the pc and was not playing any games that require graphics/minimal graphics use, and then the pc shut off and fans went at max. I touched the gpu to see if it was hot and it was not at all (practically cold to the touch), and the cpu heatsink is the same (practically cold to the touch).

I wanted to see if anyone could explain why it would think that it is overheating when it is not and what I should do. Could this be something related to a virus I have (I have had a few in the past that could have caused damage)? Should I get a new case for better airflow? My specs are:

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING 8G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
MBD: B450M Pro4
PSU: Redragon RGPS GC-PS002 600W Gaming PC Power Supply

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your case, the number of fans in said case and their orientation?

This is not what you would call a reliably built unit and my suspicion is that your PSU isn't up to par for your build.

If I were you, I'd try and perform a deep clean on the GPU. Did you perform a clean install of your GPU drivers, using DDU in Safe Mode? Installing the latest driver from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command?

Jun 5, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your case, the number of fans in said case and their orientation?

This is not what you would call a reliably built unit and my suspicion is that your PSU isn't up to par for your build.

If I were you, I'd try and perform a deep clean on the GPU. Did you perform a clean install of your GPU drivers, using DDU in Safe Mode? Installing the latest driver from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command?
I am not able to give the exact case model and make because it no longer is made and I can not find any info on it. The closest design to it is the MASTERBOX Q300L MINI TOWER PC CASE or the attached photo.
Cooler-Master-MasterBox-Q300L-Mini-Tower-Case-MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00

Tell me if im wrong but I'm not sure that the power unit should be an issue. I have had this setup starting in late 2020 to early 2021 and started with a 970 which ran at the levels expected. then we got the 1070 from a friend and that was running perfectly up until the last few months. Does the PSU have a temp sensor that shuts the pc off when it over heats? If so, I would assume that it is a dust problem. I have never had the issue of the GPU over heating nor anything with the pc crashing. Would doing a full wipe of the pc do the same as what you are recommending? If so then that is the option I feel would be the best. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS